1968 chevelle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've given up on it cause he wants to much. It's not the only chevelle on the market.
Yeah, there are plenty of cars out there but anything decent will cost ya. The Chevelle I’m trying to get is all original and a bit rough around the edges and would easily be a $30,000 car if I was offering cash.
Like I said above , the car the guy was offering you never existed so he’s ether ignorant or a crook.

None of those old cars are worth anywhere near the money they are imagined to be worth. Pretty good engines wrapped with pos chassis. Most of them are junk. It never ceases to amaze me. One day the market will fall apart on them; when the next car fad drops by, that is.

almost all of them were throwaway teenager's cars in high school...

None of those old cars are worth anywhere near the money they are imagined to be worth. Pretty good engines wrapped with pos chassis. Most of them are junk. It never ceases to amaze me. One day the market will fall apart on them; when the next car fad drops by, that is.

You’re obviously not an auto enthusiast and don’t understand how “worth” is determined. I went to a bike auction where a old Harley that cot $300 when new sold for over $160,000 ...worth is what more than one person is willing to pay! It’s no different than precious metals , the scarcity of gold makes it $1,700 a oz.

Not to mention they No longer ,make these decent cars and trucks.
To days cars and trucks have so much plastic in them, Pickups are short boxed and can't do a decent day or work on a farm.
OH they tow the city peoples toys just fine but try to load 100 bles of hay on tone.

Then there are all those eltronic things that will go to HELL in a hand cart and no parts to fix them.

Al

Not to mention they No longer ,make these decent cars and trucks.
To days cars and trucks have so much plastic in them, Pickups are short boxed and can't do a decent day or work on a farm.
OH they tow the city peoples toys just fine but try to load 100 bles of hay on tone.

Then there are all those eltronic things that will go to HELL in a hand cart and no parts to fix them.

Al

Haha you're funny Al. Today's trucks will work circles around trucks of yesteryear.

Old tools are for old fools. If you choose wisely, modern stuff will beat the pants suits of old junk. Might cost you a bit more than you want to pay but that is not my problem.

Ya tell that to a farmer, Also read and look at the pictures here of guys with a load of wood on todays truck. Most every one uses a trailer to haul their wood becuse they can't get a really good load of wood in a 6 foot box.

Only thing todays trucks are good at is fuel milage and how much they can tow.

There is two and a half face cord on my 1974 ford and it still isn't loaded full.
1592352685965.png

Al

Attachments

• 1592352609024.png
    1592352609024.png
    513 KB · Views: 4
My friend Bill is makeing a pro streed car out of the 1970 Buick sky lark.
floor pan and rocker panals were good. Trunk had a wet mat in it when we opened the trunk. Lifting the mat up shopwed a swiss chease floor there.
You can still buy replacement panals for them.

pUZNNDS.jpg

HBuniQb.jpg

fr9NwZD.jpg

Al

Yeah , there‘s no explaining the love for classic cars ...ether you get it or you don‘t.

I can tell you when I park my old car in a parking lot full of new Mustangs, Camaros and Vettes the crowd is around the vintage muscle , new cars offer superior performance but no style.

Yup. Lousy brakes, lousy steering, lousy suspension, bad fit and finish, bad paint, lousy door and trunk hinges, etc.

The late 60's, early 70's muscle cars are what I grew up with. Then. I know what they are. We fixed and farted with them regularly.

They were "just" affordable for high school kids in the mid to late 70's. In those days, 50's cars were the "cool" ones. And they were still relatively inexpensive.

Now those late 60's, early 70's musclecars are way overpriced "cool", is all.

But have at 'er

The last truck I bought new was a 1994 chevy silverado single cab stepside. Yes it's a short bed but it has a 350 throttle body 4 speed auto. It's tow limit is only 5K but I put a 1000lb helper spring kit on the rear and a set of 3/4 ton front spring kit in the front with heavy duty shocks all the way around. It still gets 18 mpg empty but only about 10 to 12 pulling a 5K loaded trailer on flat ground. About 8 mpg in the hills. lol but it has never let me down.
I just hit 200K on the odomator. New breaks all the way around, new water pump with all new idler bearings on the belt with new belt, hoses, new alternator, starter, plugs, rotor cap,plug wires, new thermostat, new fan clutch, new heat sensors on the intake and block. New grill, headlights. I just put the first set of turn signal bulbs cause they only lasted 26 years before one went out. lol I put a total new front end ti rods Pittman arms front and rear wheel bearings and races and sway bar bushings. I changed the rear gear oil after 26 years. It still drives great and no more emissions inspections because it's over 25 years old. Only cost me 7 dollars for a state inspection. I'm running 31 1/2 mudders. At 70mph it runs at 1,600 rmp. Should be good for another 100K at least or more. Most of the things I replaced was simply because while I had it apart and they were 25 years old I just replaced with new so I wouldn't have to go back later and do it when it did finally wear out. Parts and labor was less then 4K for everything I did to it. But with new trucks starting at 35K for a basic work truck, it was a bargain. Still running the original trany with the original trany oil. I would not be afraid to drive it cross the country without the fear of it breaking down.It's been the most dependable truck I have ever had. No rust anywhere and is solid as a rock.
You can't get a new single cab truck thats not stripped down with no enmity's. Everything that is fully loaded are all double cabs these days. Even a stripped down single cab work truck starts at 35K. screw that. I looked at some new high country trucks and they run 70K. They are out or there minds if they think I will pay that for a truck. lol The 350 still doesn't smoke or burn any oil ether. Why needs all that fancy stuff anyway. Just more to go wrong with it. My 94 is still mechanically sound so why replace a truck that still runs great.. They can keep there fancy over priced trucks.

Yes I know you can buy a new pick up with a 8 foot bed. But you have to special order it and wait for it to be build all the time listening to the sales person telling you about the several 100 they have in lots around town any color and options you can drive off with today.
Was talking to a guy yesterday with a newer Ford 150 checking out his canoe carrier that ripped up the bed side rail when he hit a leaning tree with the carrier. Said he had did that before with a steel box and it never ripped the bed up like that. YA it was a mess and will require a stay in the body shop to get it back to looking normal.

Yes you should be able to get as big a load on todays 350 1 ton that I got on yesterdays 250 3/4 ton truck. bet thre floor would have th eripple effect my dads 1988 GMC got after hauling fire wood 2 years too.
Bed on my 74 is rusted is all.

But city slickers have no idea how a farm pick is used every day on a farm.

Al

GM never offered a 427 in a 1968 Chevelle so there’s no chance it’s # matching...there are more 307 Malibu‘s dressed as BB Chevelle‘s than #138 cars were ever actually produced.

I just noticed this thread because I’m currently trying to work a deal with a guy wanting to swap my Vette for his ’69 SS Chevelle.
Doh I didnt even notice it had a 427.

I get probably isnt a real SS but when the ck the vin on the registration sticker they are taken back

Really. There is nothing imaginary about their value. Yes original suspensions were jus adequate for the time. I have a stage 4 suspension UMI suspension in my 66. I've shock the **** out of new performance cars on the twisties. Thinking of getting an indy rear .
Hard to see in these pictures it has tubular upper and lower control arms coil overs huge sway bar rear coil overs Ford 9 inch adjustable upper and lower trailing arms and again a huge sway bar. 4 wheel Wilwood discs so its no longer just a straight line car

Next fad? People have been collecting cars for over a half a century.
20200302_131159.jpg
20200528_134646.jpg

I'm not talking about car collecting being a fad, I'm talking about the current fascination with the 60's, early 70's muscle cars being the current fad. The best/rarest/original ones value will always be good. The rest, not so much. Especially as the current crop of 50-60 year olds age into their 70's and beyond.

The nostalgia will grab the next generation and they will be attached to the cars THEY drove in high school and college.

IMO.

You have some nice cars. You have selected carefully. Many do not.

Anyhoo..

Your "mutt" looks more or less unmolested. And doesn't look like a 3 dressed up as a 9. Nothing fits together right. Perfect.

i was trying to remember the Buick equivalent of the Cutlass...Skylark, yes?

Back