1968 chevelle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hot sellers in this area today for thr most part is Station wagons and 1960's and 70's pick uop trucks.

Prices are still resonable for decent examples of both.

A friend found a 1976 Chevell wagon while in Wisconsin on vacation. It sat in a leanto on the side of a barn near the trout stream he was fishing. Talked and mnade the deal with the owner who had stope driving it in 91 when the tranny went bad.
He took his trailer up to get it and bring home. he got. anew 400 tranny from a salvage yard and installed it. Started and ran great. Even the paint is still nice.

Al

60's and 70's pickup trucks will always be nice!

that from a guy who's never owned a car...

when my buds had cars, I had bikes. Theirs were never as quick as mine...that Buick GS with the mildly built 455 was close tho. I was surprised! Clarence got some traction that day.

neat that station wagons have a following!

I agree some of the cars that bring high money are questionable. But at the good guys shows and Syracuse nationals the big interest is in wagons and 4 doors. Started because they were much cheaper than the coup or two door versions. But of course that has driven up the price of the wagon and 4 door cars.

I've owned my chevelle since 1984 . Got it as a mechanic lean . Tow and storage guy just handed me the registration. Bill was 374 dollars. I still have all the original parts to make in matching numbers. But restomods are bringing more money.

I assumed that about the 4doors and wagons. Pretty obvious.

One of the nicest, most comfortable, best driving cars I remember was a buds Oldsmobile '88 4 door. '74? Anyway, it had 4 wheel disc brakes and all the toys and was just a very nice car. Sadly it burned to the ground in a parking lot at a bar shortly after he did some carb work...

I was turned off of the muscle car bug when I watched a bunch of really questionable cars on the Barrett-Jackson auction show. I followed that for a bit and saw lots of lip-sticked pigs go through for utterly ridiculous money. A local guy bought an 80,000 dollar superbird there that was a piece of junk. Silly man.

One day I would like to buy an upgraded old pickup. I would pay lots for that. I wouldn't buy a facelifted old vehicle. Unless it was 374.00.

I went to a pretty big city high school and all the kids drove all those cars. My buddies and everybody else. Some of the most powerful, ill handling, poorly engineered cars ever made. And high school kids wrecked tons of them. Most of the kids survived.

Haha you're funny Al. Today's trucks will work circles around trucks of yesteryear.
Dont think the farmers around here have ever heard that. :laugh:
IMG_3287_zps9a4fd88e.jpg

20200619_131040.jpg

Older picture but 101 bails of alfalfa
Alfalfa bales are 75-100 lbs. 75x101=7575
Yep she's loaded.

I was turned off of the muscle car bug when I watched a bunch of really questionable cars on the Barrett-Jackson auction show. I followed that for a bit and saw lots of lip-sticked pigs go through for utterly ridiculous money. A local guy bought an 80,000 dollar superbird there that was a piece of junk. Silly man.
I wouldn't buy a car at auction. Unless it was fully documented and restored buy a quality restoration shop ... not gas monkey garage

Just about anything with wheels is collectable to someone. I know a guy that does nothing but MG. Another is into chain drive Mack trucks. Still a shop around that does nothing but Triumph. To each his own.

Air cooled was all the rage here a while ago. Prices the were getting for 911 or vw bus were just unbelievable. Now rat rods are super-hot here. They go bootin around like grandpa Munster. Like the 50’s all over again. Not too sure what they cost but the worse they look, the better they like em.

I do modern “classics”. You get safety, convenience, great ride and ease of maintenance. I can boot up the highway at 80mph, tear around a track or just go out for a cruise. AC, heated seats, sound system, navigation. Just push button and go.

Old pickups could be overloaded ridiculously over and over, no problem. Everybody did that. Now a mere quad and some gear will squash a 1/2 ton.

the numbers lie for load capacity, safe max towing, etc,

but there's brakes, handling and creature comforts, and basically not a lot of tinkering.

Dont think the farmers around here have ever heard that. :laugh: View attachment 836918
View attachment 836920
Older picture but 101 bails of alfalfa
Alfalfa bales are 75-100 lbs. 75x101=7575
Yep she's loaded.

I never said an old truck couldn't work. But, if you put those identical loads in those old rigs and also new trucks and pulled them over the Sierra Nevada range through Donner Pass from Sacramento to Reno there would be absolutely no comparison in time, effort, or safety. Hell, my 99 F250 Powerstroke with 300,000 miles that I put on it will outwork those old trucks, but not come anywhere near the performance of a new truck.

Frankly, I'm not sure either truck shown would survive the trip in the heat of summer.

Well you sure don't see any of the gloryfied shopping carts that they laughingly sell to people today as pick ups. Many a wood scrounger have them and they do not load them down or up for that matter. Most own trailers to haul there stach of wood.

Just look at ther post here and show any with a good ,load newer than 2000.

Al

I never said an old truck couldn't work. But, if you put those identical loads in those old rigs and also new trucks and pulled them over the Sierra Nevada range through Donner Pass from Sacramento to Reno there would be absolutely no comparison in time, effort, or safety. Hell, my 99 F250 Powerstroke with 300,000 miles that I put on it will outwork those old trucks, but not come anywhere near the performance of a new truck.

Frankly, I'm not sure either truck shown would survive the trip in the heat of summer.
I guess living in the silicon valley you done see many old farm trucks pulling heavy all summer. I live where there are more cows than people and most of the farms use older trucks pre 1990.

Not being argumentative I have a Cummins and yes it nice to tow with the cruise a/c ice cold .

I bet you could upgrade your truck to outperform any new truck for much less than a new one

I have a buddy who's into those square body Chevs. Mostly big blocks. He builds them to use. None of his are fancied up. He does not pay stupid money for any of them. I think Canadians are a little more reasonable in their perceived values of old gear?

I would love to put one of these in a 67 to 72 truck GMC 702 ci V12. Lot of people think they just mated two 351 blocks together. But while alot of the parts are interchangeable it's a single cast V12 with a single crankshaft/camshaft.Heads pistons and other parts were from the 351. One of the guys on the truck board did a early 60s truck . Had to do some serious chassis work
IMG_0671.jpg

Back