1971, 1981 Husky 65? Mystery Bar Markings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi_po

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My Husky AB 65 Sweden Practica # 0650 147399 the first Husky expert told me was from 1971, now another Husky expert told me it was from 1981. I don't know how to interpret the bar markings, dated 1971, 0-380-72 3/8 2050 0396TS Can anyone interpret any of this? Jungle Muffler & No chain break on the saw. I'll try adding a pic of the bar markings here....
46279494_1764822426980228_6038252396407160832_o.jpg

DSCN6896.JPG

@SawTroll. Got any info?

Not really, as those early Husky serials (pre ca. 1982) aren't "decodeable" in any way that I know of, regarding when the saw was made .
I suspect that both those "datings" (1971 and 1981) are based on reading thing into the numbers that isn't there though (often happens with those numbers).

Chain brakes were optional on some markets (like the US), at least well into the 1980s, so the fact that there is non doesn't help either.

The starter cover and muffler may be clues - but I'm not any sort of "expert" on this model and no longer recall any details about what was used when.

A good picture of the number tag might help more than the numbers themselves.

The patent date of the bar that is on the saw today is of course totally irrelevant towards when the saw (powerhead) was made.
Where the saw was made (Sweden vs. TOMOS/Yugoslavia) also tells something about its age. For some reasons I suspect this one was made in Sweden, which indicates 1974 or earlier (as far as I know).

At least there are no reference to TOMOS or Yugoslavia - but I don't think this is a really early tag. Trouble is that I don't really know when they started using this kind of tags.
They haven't fully implemented the use of such a tag on this saw, as then there should have been some numbers directly behind "ASS" (sort of a "batch" number).

My somewhat educated guess at this point is that the saw is from close to (but not after) 1974, and made in Sweden.

Some caution is of course needed here as:

- there is a chance that a saw this old (or any used saw really) may be assembled from parts of different vintage, and we really have seen pictures from only one side of the saw

- some of the assumptions that the 1973/74 guesstimate is based on aren't well documented

- the "semi-official" story of the model may not be 100% correct.

Since I was 17yo I was saw crazy -- loved to get in the woods, working with the DNR clear cutting -- working in the old saw mill. I had 10 saws at one time & have always had saws. My first saw was an old cast iron Husky. I used to chew tobacco when I worked, but smoked cigarettes when I wasn't, and I killed my lungs. I'm disabled now & on oxygen machines, homebound, bedridden, "very severe COPD". This particular saw I had hoped to sell so I could buy a high flow home oxygen concentrator, but finding out exactly what this saw is has proven difficult as even the guys with Husqvarna have given me different info -- seems you guys have worked more hands on & know your shi* better. Either way, I'm just going for it & I posted the saw on eBay for $300 obo. I've put a lot into the saw & the price seems fair. The concentrator I'm looking at the guy wants $495, but this would be a start. I don't know if we can put links in here, but the eBay search is " 1970's Vintage Husqvarna Sweden Practica 65 ' Maybe this link will work.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Vint...on-See-video/253983341956?hash=item3b22963d84

Thanx for the well wishes. The saw did sell so I can put that towards a second high output 10L O2 concentrator. The crazy thing is I want this 2nd concentrator so I can use it outside to chop up these two big trees that fell in my yard! :) I can still do the chopping up, but leave the brush hauling & wood stacking to the younger guys! Guess you can take the lungs out of the lumberjack, but you can't take the 50:1 mix out of their blood!

My wife (SawWitch on AS) had COPD, and couldn't use oxygen because she was a heavy smoker - but it wasn't what killed her back in 2009.

Between her COPD diagnosis in the late 1990s and about 2005 there was major progress in the available medication to fight it though (and it helped a lot) - have your doctors really done their best to look into that, rather than just focusing on oxygen?

COPD is an epidemic and one that really sneaks up on you...woke up one day and couldn't breath. I've been dealing with the worst of it these last 6 years & your right, it's not so much the body being able to get enough O2 but also ones body being able to get rid of the CO2 -- it stays stuck in the blood & leads to organ failure. My Pulmonologist has me on high doses of Prednisone every day, so I've gained 100# & fractured 6 ribs & a vertibrae & bone scans say I'm high risk to break a hip...thanx Prednisone. Also 3 different nebulizer chemicals, also steroids. He prescribed me the BiPAP but I couldn't do their sleep study -- too uncomfortable, so insurance wouldn't pay for it, so I bought my own & am on BiPAP about 12hrs/day.... I also have the High Output O2 concentrator, but use air tanks for travel. Fun fact, I used to smoke when I was using them & lit myself on fire twice. It was absolutely insane craze fire, like from a jet engine, except up my nose & face....stopped doing that. I also take Daliresp and Spireva. I'm mad at myself, especially when I see all the tree work I used to love doing so much. Did this to myself.

I'm sorry you lost your wife. That's very sad.

That doesn't sound like much fun - but I don't really understand why Prednisone has been part of the medication - except if pneumonia was involved? I understand that there are many variations of COPD though, so it may well be "right" in some cases.
I recall that Spiriva was a medication that helped a lot in my wife's case.

I wouldn't be so sure that this is something you did to yourself - there may well have been factors out of your control involved. It isn't just smokers that get COPD, regardless what doctors tend to say about it.

Back