Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Back in the mid 1970's Michigan set up for bid the cutting of Hard woods for lumber in the State forest near my folks home. Not to many wanted to work to get heat for their home then despite what had happened with the forming of OPEC.
The state back then gave out permits to any one who wanted to cut dead and down trees up for fire wood. These pictures are about August or September 1980. The lumber guys would come into the area fall the trees and skid them out to a central point. There they cut them into 8 foot logs and hauled them away. The tops ,short sections not 8 ft. and real knotty stuff was pushed in a huge pile. We would drive back there and cut two or even three truck loads if some one else went with us before lunch.
Many a day we got 6 loads per day. We had a Sthil 032 16 inch, and a husky 162 with a 16 inch bar. One of the other fellows who would go with us used a sach dolmar of some sort.

The Ford is my 1974 3/4ton 4x4 which I still own today with nearly 300,000 on it.
Thje Chevy was my cousins 1979 3/4 ton 4x4.
scan0007.jpg

scan0005.jpg

what were the early Ford mini pickups called a Couier or some thing?
Fellow next door to my folks had one. Always ragging on me about the fuel I was wasteing at 12 MPG and he got nearly 20 MPG. He shut up after he saw I was hauling 3 1/2 tiimes more wood in one load than he got with that grocery cart he owned.

:D Al

Last edited:
1978 thru 1985 I cut wood for my folks who burned wood. I had a71' chevy C-10 with over load springs dad had a 74'chevy 4X4 but no helpers he used to get mad my little 2 wd would haul more than his 4X4. We cut,hauled split and stacked a bunch of wood off them permits. Thanks it brings back some good memories.

New Models

New ones are ugly
Ain't that the truth. All of them look like the older plain Janes.

And something else - if you aren't 6'6" tall you need a stepping stool or step ladder to stand on to reach over into the bed and see what you want to pick up .

Been driving my little 93 Nissan since I bought it new and have held off trading because of the way GMC and Chevrolets are now looking - the Nissans too.

Nosmo

very cool thread! great lookin trucks too. i only run pre '88 chevy's. rep sent!

my uncle has a 80 chevy truck just sitting there.. but wont sell.. :msp_sad: 4x4 auto long box.. I would love to have that as my run around truck.. My work truck is a dually long box quad cab.. I like the ride for all the driving i do.. but other then that give me a old rig.

if you aren't 6'6" tall you need a stepping stool or step ladder to stand on to reach over into the bed and see what you want to pick up .

What's the reason for that anyways?

Seems like mid-90s they all got taller and I don't understand what possible advantage there is for 95% of the people out there...other then they make your detachable penis appear bigger.

Seems to me for hauling weight and towing being lower would be better balanced, it's a lot easier to reach into the old trucks (you know...use them), and most people don't have ground clearance issues -- I wouldn't be taking an F-250 in anywhere I don't take a Ranger. For the people who have legitimate heavy-duty off-road clearance needs, let them lift 'em or offer it as an option.

Seems like mid-90s they all got taller and I don't understand what possible advantage there is for 95% of the people out there...other then they make your detachable penis appear bigger.

Seems to me for hauling weight and towing being lower would be better balanced, it's a lot easier to reach into the old trucks (you know...use them), and most people don't have ground clearance issues -- I wouldn't be taking an F-250 in anywhere I don't take a Ranger. For the people who have legitimate heavy-duty off-road clearance needs, let them lift 'em or offer it as an option.

i've griped about this for a few years now. i once ran an '86 1 ton single wheel chevy that had an 8" lift (hey i was 18 and DUMB!). you should have heard all the things the guys on the job sites would say to me about how much harder my truck was to load than thiers! and they were right too.

i've griped about this for a few years now. i once ran an '86 1 ton single wheel chevy that had an 8" lift (hey i was 18 and DUMB!). you should have heard all the things the guys on the job sites would say to me about how much harder my truck was to load than thiers! and they were right too.

I never have seen a reason other that "big penis" for lift kits. Even after lifting the lowest part of the truck (differentials and tie rods) is still right where the factory put it. The running gear does not go up with the body.

ONe of the biggest laughs I got was when the 4xs first came out. Don't recall if it was the Scout or the Ford one but I was walking across the street to look at one on display. Turned around in the middle of the street and left. Prominently displayed on a 2' stand and very clearly visible was the tie rod - lowest thing on the rig and in front of the axle. :)

Bigger wheels do some good.

Harry K

Hmmmmmm........ 1980? Well, I would have been in my very early 20's. Let's see... Dropped out'a school in '73 and was listening to a lot of Led Zeppelin... So by 1980 I was... :confused2: ... hmmmm... don't remember much between '73 and '85... But I did finally decide to "grow-up" and cut my hair in '85. :msp_smile:

I never have seen a reason other that "big penis" for lift kits. Even after lifting the lowest part of the truck (differentials and tie rods) is still right where the factory put it. The running gear does not go up with the body.

ONe of the biggest laughs I got was when the 4xs first came out. Don't recall if it was the Scout or the Ford one but I was walking across the street to look at one on display. Turned around in the middle of the street and left. Prominently displayed on a 2' stand and very clearly visible was the tie rod - lowest thing on the rig and in front of the axle. :)

Bigger wheels do some good.

Harry K

now i have off road toy trucks that are lifted for good reason but as far as a work truck goes i agree with you 100%. and like wise i have always said there is no place for a 2 wheel drive truck (at least in PA and up north). wouldn't ya know i bought a darn 2 wheel drive suburban last year! LOL thing goes like a tank through snow though so i haven't persued a 4 wheel drive (yet).

I agree. I have a '94 F250 - long bed extended cab, dual tanks. It's from the year before they started calling them "Super Duty", but with an 8800lb GVWR that's basically what it is. It is not lifted, but it is inconveniently high. It's really a PITA to load and unload most of the time.

Before that I had a '91 2WD, 4cyl Ranger. For anything that would fit in it, it was far more useful in almost every way. I like the F250, it's a great tow vehicle and it will haul a lot, but the bed height is a problem.

But man I have to laugh at most of the trucks I see. All the lifted poser trucks that have clearly never been off road, diesels with dual 6" stacks in the bed (often a short bed at that), can't haul or tow much.

the bed floors on the newer trucks are a joke too. But when you realize they are built for city people more than country people you can figure out why.
My pop had a 1979 GMC 1 ton that hauled a lot of fire wood, 11 footcamper and latter a fifth wheel travel trailer. the bed was scratched up but pretty much leval. His 1988 had sags between the cross supports after one year of hauling fire wood.

:D Al

But man I have to laugh at most of the trucks I see. All the lifted poser trucks that have clearly never been off road, diesels with dual 6" stacks in the bed (often a short bed at that), can't haul or tow much.

yup not a scratch on 'em! heck i even got my kids makin' fun of 'em. and i can't stand any pick-up with stacks!

Cool old pics Al, somewhere here I have some old pics of wood cutting as well. Some snowy, cold winter day I'll find em and scan em into the computer and post em up here.

One in particular I remember is a hay rack with split wood stacked 1/2 way up the stacker racks, probably 10+ tons of wood on 6 ton running gear.

For now, here's a crappy picture of a Polaroid of our old wood shed, circa 1985 or so. 8x32x6H, was lookin at 12 cords in there. Need to show this pic to little sis next time she's over, us boys did the work and she got the credit in the picture...

204853d1319897455-102_2241-medium-jpg

Back