Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Farmers and country folks seem to always judge load sizes different than other folks.

Here we call the sissy trucks with crome stack out the bed and even one Ford here thru the hood, big tires and crome running boards and other stuff Glorified Grocery carts.

:D Al

My main hauling and towing truck and the newest truck in my fleet is a 1985 GMC 3/4 ton.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

She needs a set of air bags or some new springs but she's been a good wood hauler over the years.

My main hauling and towing truck and the newest truck in my fleet is a 1985 GMC 3/4 ton.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

She needs a set of air bags or some new springs but she's been a good wood hauler over the years.

I miss My Dad's '87 Chevy 1/2 ton... I drove the wheels off that thing (Once literally w a cheap set of true "MAGs", the steel wheels went back on after that). It was a 2wd 4.3V6 auto with a reg cab and an 8' bed. I hauled more almost as much wood sand and dirt in that thing as I have with my '01 F-350 Single wheel. It definitely had a tougher bed than my "Super Duty" does, but the current truck doesn't wallow quite as bad when loaded beyond "normal" bounds. I really need a 450 or a 550 for the way I haul... I would love to find (and be able to afford) a clean, straight, '85-86 reg cab/8'bed single wheel, 4x4 3500 w/the old granny 4sp (SM420?). I'd either drop in a nice 327-502, no 305's, (injected for ease of living with it) or just say screw it and drop a 4bt or 6bt Cummins in it and use that as a wood fetcher. I miss the feeling of that truck. It was easier to see out of, lighter, easier maintain, didn't eject/strip sparkplugs/holes (like the 5.4L V8 in mine is known for) and you knew how fast you were going by which objects in the cab were rattling/squeaking... Miss that truck.:msp_wub:

In 1980 I was 32 years old and bought my first partner S-55 saw and used a 1968 f-250 to haul my wood. back then we could cut all year round, now its only 2-4 weeks of cutting time then they close the cutting season for the year.

I miss My Dad's '87 Chevy 1/2 ton... I drove the wheels off that thing (Once literally w a cheap set of true "MAGs", the steel wheels went back on after that). It was a 2wd 4.3V6 auto with a reg cab and an 8' bed. I hauled more almost as much wood sand and dirt in that thing as I have with my '01 F-350 Single wheel. It definitely had a tougher bed than my "Super Duty" does, but the current truck doesn't wallow quite as bad when loaded beyond "normal" bounds. I really need a 450 or a 550 for the way I haul... I would love to find (and be able to afford) a clean, straight, '85-86 reg cab/8'bed single wheel, 4x4 3500 w/the old granny 4sp (SM420?). I'd either drop in a nice 327-502, no 305's, (injected for ease of living with it) or just say screw it and drop a 4bt or 6bt Cummins in it and use that as a wood fetcher. I miss the feeling of that truck. It was easier to see out of, lighter, easier maintain, didn't eject/strip sparkplugs/holes (like the 5.4L V8 in mine is known for) and you knew how fast you were going by which objects in the cab were rattling/squeaking... Miss that truck.:msp_wub:

pre '73 chevy's had the sm 420. '73-'87 was the sm 465. both had a granny gear. those are the only tranny's i'll run in my off road and heavy use trucks.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

nice heavy duty splitter you got there. great lookin truck too! is that an I-beam rear bumper i see? looks like that truck is still handling them big loads pretty well.

I was under the impression that you still could cut dead or down wood on state land. I'm a troll most of the year, but deer hunt a good bit of time outside of Amasa this time of year. We don't cut wood for camp, but see plenty of people who do. Maybe they're on CFL property?

As for the "poser" trucks, you are all right. Anyone I know with a jacked up truck doesn't even know what "locking in the hubs" means. They gripe about driving down a dirt road, let alone getting it off into the woods. "I just washed it!"

The older stuff seems so much simpler to work on and built tougher than today's trucks, not to mention much cheaper to keep going. The only real problem I've had with the old chevys is the floors and rocker panels rotting out. I'm no body man but I'm going to try welding new stuff into a spare cab I have and see how it goes. I've got 4 77-85 chev pickups, 3 of them are ride & drive but all 4 are rotted out in the floors. The thing I like most is the parts interchangeability. If I need a part, I go pull it off a parts truck and keep truckin!

The older stuff seems so much simpler to work on and built tougher than today's trucks, not to mention much cheaper to keep going. The only real problem I've had with the old chevys is the floors and rocker panels rotting out. I'm no body man but I'm going to try welding new stuff into a spare cab I have and see how it goes. I've got 4 77-85 chev pickups, 3 of them are ride & drive but all 4 are rotted out in the floors. The thing I like most is the parts interchangeability. If I need a part, I go pull it off a parts truck and keep truckin!

I ever build the wheeler/wood-fetcher I want, I'll remove the cab and rhino line the entire bottom of the cab and the insides of all fender wells. Ought to make it a bit quieter and add A LOT of cancer protection.

i was going to say undercoating but rhino lining should work much better. it'll cost alot more too, but i think it would be well worth it in the long run.

I was under the impression that you still could cut dead or down wood on state land.

Yea, you just need a permit, real cheap and limited to a few cords. Can't get wood right by camping sites, and some other small rules, but not bad if it is nearby.

We used it on all the running gear and on the floors of all the restored Jeeps we've did with steel bodies.

:D Al

Back