ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1980's Stihl 026 spark plug wire end broken. repair options?

TheTone

TheTone

ArboristSite Guru
Take the "coily part" and press the "pointy" ends into the wire so it makes electrical contact. then wrestle the "coily part" into the spark plug cover and then onto the plug.

Conquistador3

Conquistador3

Le Comte de Frou Frou
but do I get better quality parts . The dealer told me the boot is $5 I haven't asked about the wire and I do have the spark plug end piece but I'm not sure if i need a new one
The "torsion spring" as Stihl calls it is a €1.20 part. Even assuming Stihl obscenely touched up the price you are looking at a €1.50 part. Throw in the €5/5.50 genuine boot and it's about the same as a generic no-name "spark plug boot and clip" on eBay, minus shipping.

HarleyT

HarleyT

Tree Freak
Normally that spring part gets distorted when someone is yanking it off, so you should replace that. If the other parts are OK, just re-use them. Put up some pics.
Putting it back together can be tricky, so the pre-made one looks pretty good, if you can get one in your area.

SteveSr

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
Putting it back together can be tricky, so the pre-made one looks pretty good, if you can get one in your area.
The "trick" is top use silicone spray and force the spring first and then wire into the wire exit side of the boot. Just IGNORE what they show in the manual or you'll pull your hair out... if you have any left!