1992 Asplundh lift sat 4 years, what to look for before use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdustmaker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just bought a bucket truck. :crazy2: Having never ran one, im trying to be cautious. Ive heard a rumor that these things can hurt you?? Anyway, is there an good read on how to do a thorough inspection of this boom to insure it doesnt decide to kill me.

A 1992 Asplundh lift that sat for 4 years is a pretty dated piece of equipment to trust. I would have it inspected by a professional.... Curios to see what everyone says, a guy down the road has one he wants to sell me but it I've shied away from it for the reasons you mentioned...image.jpeg

You sure that truck is a 1992? I used to have a C70, same cab and it was an 83. I could have sworn the C60/70 line went to a different cab by at least the early 90s?

I wasn't saying this one is a 92, just that it's an Asplundh lift that's been sitting and is questionable, in my opinion. This one is a truck a buddy bought and has been trying to sell ( pawn off?) on me.... Lol.

From reading a little, it seems that parts are literally impossible to get. Starting to think i should paint it and sell it. Apparently they are good lifts but not worth anything because of the unavailability of parts.

So how much does your neighbor want if i needed a parts lift? lol

If it is truly an Asplundh boom (LB-50?) then it is obsolete and can not be service do to a cut-up order.
This means that no credible service company will service it because if they do they become liable when it fails.
Go ahead and search for that order. It came from Asplundh I think.
My advice would be to get your money back.

I remember it being the only thing on Asplundh's old website.
Now that you mentioned it, it may be a directive coming from Altec. When Altec bought Asplundh, Altec's legal department suggested they that Altec limit their liability by getting rid of all the Asplundh equipment they could. So when Asplundh Tree trades in old drum chippers for new Altec chippers, Altec has them cut up. All the parts build by Asplundh go the scrap. Perfectly good chippers all gone, 1000's of them. Those under contract to do this can not even resell the parts, not the parts the Asplundh build anyway.
So maybe that bulletin went out from Altec and is not related to an actual problem with the booms but is just Altec reducing their liability.
I have known company that like those old booms and keep them working themselves. It is important to keep the cables in good condition and base free of cracks. The problem is if the boom fails and there are injuries the owner would be criminally negligent.

From reading a little, it seems that parts are literally impossible to get. Starting to think i should paint it and sell it. Apparently they are good lifts but not worth anything because of the unavailability of parts.

So how much does your neighbor want if i needed a parts lift? lol

When I first looked at it in 2010? Or so, there was $900 back fees owed on the truck at DMV and it needed smogged (gas engine). He took it to a job where it aquired a leak in the radiator. Then it's been sitting since.
He told me the other day he wants $2000 for it. But the fees have been accruing since 2010, the tires, batteries, radiator, etc I'm sure need attention by now, it still needs smog check, plus the above mentioned boom problems.

I'm thinking it's going to stay there for a while.

Back