1997 woodsman 2018???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gjbaumann

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I recently acquired a 1997 woodsman 2018 chipper with a john deere diesel. Does anyone have any info on these? I cant find anything.

Thanks in advance

Did you ever find anything on this? I’m looking at buying a n old Woodsman 2114 and can’t find anything on it either

I have a Woodsman 2114 and love it. What questions do you have?
That is really good to hear. What size wood does it take and would you say 1750 hours is low hours or high? I found a guy selling a 2004 2114 with 1750 hours in a package deal with an old chip truck and have no idea what the chipper value would be at. I cannot find any specs online so I have nothing to go off of. He's asking 22K for an old 1984 F700 and the Woodsman 2114 and I was eyeing it to start my tree business. Been saving for a couple of years now to buy a chipper/truck

The chipper is pretty simple and they used alot of components that you can get at local auto parts stores. IMO 1750 hours is on the lower side.
The 2114 is basically a 2118 with smaller motor and restricted infeed. So it has the large drum of an 18" chipper but only opens 14". The best part is the infeed is 24" wide.
Some say the 2114 is under powered, I say you just have to understand it's limitations. It's not the chipper for chipping trunks all day.
Some complain about clogging the shoot of Woodsman and have heard of some cool mods to help with Palm or spruce tops. I modified to my chute to make it adjust up and down, this mod also makes it easier to clear a clogged chute. I've just learned to manually regulate the feed wheel when I know I might run into trouble or I add in log wood with a top. Most of the time I don't have to think about it.
They are heavy and probably should have come with an 8K axle. I had to replace mine when I got it as the tires were almost touching the fender. I was going to replace it with an 8K and the dealer convinced me to stay with the factory 7K, bad idea, I've added a helper springs.
What chippers have you run? Seems like any good running chipper is over $20K.

The chipper is pretty simple and they used alot of components that you can get at local auto parts stores. IMO 1750 hours is on the lower side.
The 2114 is basically a 2118 with smaller motor and restricted infeed. So it has the large drum of an 18" chipper but only opens 14". The best part is the infeed is 24" wide.
Some say the 2114 is under powered, I say you just have to understand it's limitations. It's not the chipper for chipping trunks all day.
Some complain about clogging the shoot of Woodsman and have heard of some cool mods to help with Palm or spruce tops. I modified to my chute to make it adjust up and down, this mod also makes it easier to clear a clogged chute. I've just learned to manually regulate the feed wheel when I know I might run into trouble or I add in log wood with a top. Most of the time I don't have to think about it.
They are heavy and probably should have come with an 8K axle. I had to replace mine when I got it as the tires were almost touching the fender. I was going to replace it with an 8K and the dealer convinced me to stay with the factory 7K, bad idea, I've added a helper springs.
What chippers have you run? Seems like any good running chipper is over $20K.
I have only run rental chippers(small Vermeers) from local shops and a sketchy beast of a chipper (the second a branch went in, it was gone) that a equipment guy once loaned me, but all for personal use. I have been climbing, cutting and removing on a truck and trailer up until now…not sustainable and so now I’m looking to get a chipper and chip truck hence the search. I just don’t have massive cash, really only ~20K

I was reading/watching videos on the issue of the shoot clogging but it sounded like the result of using leafy or small branches. Good to hear that it is manageable mixing in large material. The guy selling the chipper has been using it for years for his business with a chip truck so I thought it might not be a deal breaker. I’m also on the east coast and deal mostly with white pine, sweet gum and oak, so spruce aren’t too frequent. As long as it chips 12” material every once in awhile, it sounds nice and would make my life easier. I’ll definitely check the axle on the setup and the tires after hearing that

I’m also looking at a 2009 Vermeer BC1000XL with the 85 HP Cummins engine about the same hours (1750) for 13K. Any experience with that machine?

I’m also looking at a 2009 Vermeer BC1000XL with the 85 HP Cummins engine about the same hours (1750) for 13K. Any experience with that machine?
I own and operate this same model and year, use on private property for chipping ash and oak. Like any machine one that receives regularly scheduled maintenance should be dependable. Although it's advertised to chip 12" material I limit it to 8-10".

If the plastic engine cover is not busted up or it was replaced with a metal hood that's a great price.

Be aware that the drum is known to develop stress cracks. Vibration caused by an unbalanced drum is another issue. Inspect the drum sides with a mirror and be observant of any vibration, when it spins down, with it disengaged. If the seller objects to this consider it a red flag.

This machine relies more on electronics, compared to competing brands. Not a reason to stay away, but if you are not handy with a meter and basic troubleshooting the dealer will be your friend.

I started with a 10" chipper and made lots of money with it. I then added a large 18" chipper which was great for processing log wood but way overkill for hand feeding brush. I sold both and bought the Woodsman with no regrets. I hand feed it, feed it with an excavator or feed it with a mini and grapple.

I started with a 10" chipper and made lots of money with it. I then added a large 18" chipper which was great for processing log wood but way overkill for hand feeding brush. I sold both and bought the Woodsman with no regrets. I hand feed it, feed it with an excavator or feed it with a mini and grapple.
You are the man! I was on the brink of shooting for the small 8-10" Vermeer BC1000 but I think for 25K, I'll go for the Woodsman 2114 and truck. You've been a huge help

Back