1998 Husqvarna 254xp guide bar length reduction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phatmatt

Reaction score
Hi from the UK! I have just been gifted 5 acres of mixed woodland (mostly hazel and ash) that has been regularly coppiced for over 20 years. I currently have a Husky 254xp running a 15" guide bar (cutting length). To enable me to get my chainsaw guide bar comfortably between the poles for selective cutting i would like to replace the 15" guide bar with a 10" guide bar. The Husky manual recommends no less than 13". So my question is, can I put a 10" guide bar on a Husky 254xp, will I need to change the sprocket (likely) and if so what size sprocket and chain would I require? I consider myself capable of carrying out the work but am unsure about bar/sprocket/chain sizes. Many thanks for any help or guidance offered.

Dunno that you can get a bar less than 13" for your 254 .
We have a Stihl MS181 running a 10" Sugihara bar and 1/4 chain we use for small tree groundwork . The 1/4 chain leaves a nice finish on pruning , the 181 is cheap as chips too .

You can get bars in that mount that are 11". Not sure if they are still in production, but Oregon sold them some years ago and may still do so. I bought a bunch of them, never used them, and sold them off a while back. They still come up on eBay from time to time. They are .325" .058" and something like 52dl, as I recall. They are skinny little bars so 7t rim is probably all you can safely run with the risk of spitting chains off more easily with an 8t rim.

Latest posts

Back