1999 Ford 1720 TLB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesupra

Mainer
Reaction score
After many years of looking for but never really being able to afford a tractor I was finally able to save up enough cash and justify the purchase of a tractor. After some searching I was able to find a 1999 ford 1720 with loader and hoe. Ended up purchasing the tractor from a Deere dealership in Pembroke NH. I purchased the tractor with the intent of getting some much needed landscape done, snow removal and some firewood. The ford 1720 seems to get great reviews and I really like the the shuttle shift and ease of operating compared to my grandfathers deere 1050.

From what the dealer said the tractor came from a firewood guy in NH. Part of my reason posting this is to find out if I could speak with the original owner to get some history on the tractor.

The tractor seems to have crazy high hours at 5000hrs but appears to be in good overall condition and well oiled, greased and maintained.

Has anyone used the clamp on forks, should I spend the money on converting it to skid-steer attachment ?

What size fami winch should a tractor of this size have or should I opt for a 3pt grapple?

Any recommendations on maintaining or anything in regards to these tractors would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 287567

View attachment 287569

After many years of looking for but never really being able to afford a tractor I was finally able to save up enough cash and justify the purchase of a tractor. After some searching I was able to find a 1999 ford 1720 with loader and hoe. Ended up purchasing the tractor from a Deere dealership in Pembroke NH. I purchased the tractor with the intent of getting some much needed landscape done, snow removal and some firewood. The ford 1720 seems to get great reviews and I really like the the shuttle shift and ease of operating compared to my grandfathers deere 1050.

From what the dealer said the tractor came from a firewood guy in NH. Part of my reason posting this is to find out if I could speak with the original owner to get some history on the tractor.

The tractor seems to have crazy high hours at 5000hrs but appears to be in good overall condition and well oiled, greased and maintained.

Has anyone used the clamp on forks, should I spend the money on converting it to skid-steer attachment?

What size fami winch should a tractor of this size have or should I opt for a 3pt grapple?

Any recommendations on maintaining or anything in regards to these tractors would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 287567

View attachment 287569

Really, 5000 hours is not crazy high especially if he used it every day. We have a 2006 JD 5525 with a FEL with 4400 hours. Or course we live on a dairy farm so that is our go to tractor.

I haven't heard to many good things about the clamp on forks.

That is a nice looking tractor, I bet that backhoe will come in handy. What did he do to that bucket? It looks like the top part is bent.

Last edited:
Really, 5000 hours is not crazy high especially if he used it every day. We have a 2006 JD 5525 with a FEL with 4400 hours. Or course we live on a dairy farm so that is our go to tractor.

I haven't heard to many good things about the clamp on forks.

That is a nice looking tractor, I bet that backhoe will come in handy. What did he do to that bucket? It looks like the top part is bent.

Thats what happens when people wrap a chain around the bucket to lift things vs. welding a hook on the inside bottom of the bucket to hook to. IMO
Nice rig I am hoping to save for one at some point.
Bub

I should have phrased it differently, 5000 for a 1999 compact tractor is high. However the ford 1720 is built more like a tractor than a subcompact. Doing the math it only works out to 357 hrs a year, not all that much. By the condition I figure the tractor has about 1800-2000 hrs. The bucket has a nice dent from the lifting ring on the top, other than that its a pretty straight and true tractor from what I can tell, hopefully put a couple hrs on it tomorrow.

Good looking tractor. A grapple bucket would be handyer than a set of forks. Is the 3 point still there with the hoe on?

Beefie

Ok, the grapple forks look like an awesome attachment for firewood, logs, brush, etc. might have to keep an eye out for that.

The 3pt hitch came with the tractor, it is removed when the backhoe is attached. The backhoe is attached via a subframe that seems to tie into several points of the tractor including as far forward as the middle of the tractor.

It amazes me how well these sized tractors hold their value? I keep going back and forth between paying too much and getting a great deal. I hope it serves me well with regular care.

I would really like to find the original owner and have a talk about what has been done for work etc.

I had a 1520 with turfs and sold it to my bil. There are some pics of it and my slip in forks in "my firewood tools" thread. Search under my user name. The forks are real handy and go on and off quickly. I wrecked my front drive by pulling cedar tree stumps out with it. Use it with some common sense and it will be fine. I had a 9'-6" snow blade on mine using rear chains. I replaces the back tires because I made a 3 pth fork for it and was moving skids of brick, just a little too heavy for the tires. Agian, with some common sense it will work good otherwise you will be fixing it. I have a kubota L35 TLB now and overload it too, some people just don't get smarter.

Opinions are free, so here you go......

Change the bucket over to a skidsteer style quick attach. Its the single best thing I have ever done to my tractor. Changing from bucket to forks or whatever else takes seconds. If a company like ATI doesn't make a SSQA to fit your loader, there are some universal fit units out there, though probably on the heavy side for your tractor.

As far as the Farmi style winch, get the smallest unit from whichever manufacturer you decide on. It will pull more than you need on that sized tractor.

Congrats on the new tractor, your back will thank you for years to come !

So for the past couple hrs I have been going over the tractor with a set of wrenches everything appears good. Noticed a couple spots here and there with a little more wear than I first noticed but nothing alarming, the piece of sheet metal that the seat mounts to was cracked in 3 spots and the seat slides were all bunged up. I removed the sheet metal and replaced it with a couple pieces of 2.5 Inch wide flat bar and cleaned and oiled the seat slides.

Another piece of information I discovered was the fact that the tractor is actually a 1992 not a 1999 as I was told and sold. I am a little on the fence about this as I know there are no significant differences between the two however should I come to sell the tractor the age might be a factor

Should I call the dealer and notify them of the mixup? Part of me feels a little cheated to be honest.

... I discovered was the fact that the tractor is actually a 1992 not a 1999 as I was told and sold. I am a little on the fence about this as I know there are no significant differences between the two however should I come to sell the tractor the age might be a factor

Should I call the dealer and notify them of the mixup? Part of me feels a little cheated to be honest.
I would. Might not achieve anything, but I still would.

5000 hours isn't a lot for almost ANY age tractor if it's been taken care of.

So for the past couple hrs I have been going over the tractor with a set of wrenches everything appears good. Noticed a couple spots here and there with a little more wear than I first noticed but nothing alarming, the piece of sheet metal that the seat mounts to was cracked in 3 spots and the seat slides were all bunged up. I removed the sheet metal and replaced it with a couple pieces of 2.5 Inch wide flat bar and cleaned and oiled the seat slides.

Another piece of information I discovered was the fact that the tractor is actually a 1992 not a 1999 as I was told and sold. I am a little on the fence about this as I know there are no significant differences between the two however should I come to sell the tractor the age might be a factor

if they sold it to you as 1999 and in fact it is 1992, go see them .if they thought it was 1999 and priced it that way then i think they they owe u. say maybe a quick tach conversion. just a thought. dads been running a 1910 forever doing firewood it looks it but a good little tractor

I agree with Farmer Steve, You thought you bought a 99 but instead a 92. Try to talk to them it might get you some money back or a quick tach.

Beefie

I have an 86 Ford 1710 with a loader and logging winch. About 740 hours. Love it. I use it constantly to get wood from the woods, but also to move around log length I get delivered so I can cut easier. These compacts are made by a Japanese company called Shibaura and are known to be great little tractors.

If you get her just be smart. Keep it in 2wd as much as possible to save the front end. I have read the weakest point on these tractors is the front differential. I use 2wd till I need 4.

If it has foldable rops make sure to use it.

Dont use loader as bulldozer, not made for that and those stresses. Get a rear blade. I got a woods 72 inch blade I use for road in summer and snow in winter.

Love it. Tractor plus my splitter and real saw has made my wood processing dramatically more efficient, body saving and fun.

Yes go back to the dealer. If they went thru it they should have known the year. They have a good reputation, so I bet they would make things right. Make sure that where you got the date wasn't a replaced part. Don't want egg on your face.

Thanks for the reply, I think I will give them a call and see what the salesman says. Is there such thing as a tractor blue book?

I made set of fork Plates for my TLB and was able to find a set of forks off a old forklift. The fork by far are the best thing I ever did. I pick up pallets of wood. Now when i split wood it goes right on the pallet and into it's place. When I'm ready to burn I put the whole pallet either in the garage or next to the window if i'm using the stove upstairs. I always wanted a QA system but didn't want to cut the ears off my current bucket if I decide to sell it ( No Plans too).

Back