1999 Ford 1720 TLB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racerboy, I thought the same thing with my tractor so I ended up buying the skid steer attachement anyway and bought a new bucket, okay I ended up buying 8 different buckets. My original Kubota bucket is sitting in my fenceline waiting for the day i sell the tractor, I will take off the attachment and reinstall the original bucket.

Mesupra,

The dealer you went thru is very close to me. They are a good outfit and should treat you right.

I have a kubota tractor a little smaller than what you got. I have a WR Long grapple and a Farmi JL290 logging winch. Mine will handle anything that I dare to deal with. I only cut & process firewood for family & friends, so I don't attempt to pull 60 foot 30" trees with it.

However, it has pulled everything that I have cut down and tried to pull. Your tractor will handle a winch with no problem.

What I have found that you should get with the which is a good quality self releasing snatch block. This makes pulling logs a whole lot easier getting around rocks and stumps. I have 2 cheap ones, but they do not last very long, and it is a pain constantly walking back & forth. A good quality self release will set you back $250 on up depending on the brand.

I will try to post picture for you of my setup when I get home tonight.

You will love using it. I have used it to move pickup trucks, bob houses, large garden sheds, large boulders that I cannot lift and an old oil tank coming out of a basement. And from a previous poster, I am going to try pulling several small saplings that I need to remove later this spring.

Nice tractor ya got there. 1720s are excellent machines. Heavy built, with the back hoe attachment that you can actually use to dig. NOT like the "light duty" piles of junk they sell today.

5000 hours isn't bad, if the machine was taken care of. The body style does look older in your pics. 1999 was right around the time that they switched fords over to new holland tractors. Kept the same numbers for a few years.

You are right about holding their value. That whole 20 series line of Fords is a highly sought after group of tractors. You could probably use it for a few years and still sell it for what you paid for it.

Personnally I have been looking for a 2120 (the 17's big brother) for about 4 years now and they are not easy to find.

I think ya dun good:D

And by the way the bolt on forks are garbage, dont waste your $

2 updates,

I have been able to log a couple hrs on the tractor, nearly all backhoe time, seems to work good and as expected, I will say that the ground is too soft for any loader work at this point lol.

I was able to speak with the dealer today and expressed my concern for the 7 year difference in age, salesmen seemed to be understanding and stated he was going to see what he could do and confirmed that I would being hearing back from him.

I should be able to get some pics in the near future as well.

Personnally I have been looking for a 2120 (the 17's big brother) for about 4 years now and they are not easy to find.
There was one in the last issue of the Michigan Farm Trader. I'd look it up for you but I threw it out after I looked thru it.

I had a 2120, a 1989 if I remember right. Great tractor that did WAY more than it was designed to do. Bought it brand new and sold it with over 12,000 hours on the original motor. Only thing I ever did to it was the seal between the tranny and engine. $3 seal and $1200 labor. The tractor had a full cab on it and they had to split it to get at the seal.

Thanks Chaikwa I will search for it

I look at tractor house often too, they have a few, always in Texas or Michigan for some reason though:(

In the late 80's, 90's the gas company used fleets of them around here for the service crews. Must have shipped them far away when they sold them off. Don't see many around

Figured I would provide you guys with the final outcome/update. After speaking with the sales guy at the dealer several times and being provided with only verbal apologies I decided that it would be best if they came and got the tractor. Not willing to work with me on the price and stating that 7 years has no effect on the resale of the tractor I figured it would be best to part ways with my new tool. Salesman stated he would send a truck and the cash this week.

While at work today I get a phone call from the delivery driver saying he is waiting in my yard. Salesman forgot to notify me of when the tractor would be picked up, on top of it all the driver hands over a check even though I paid in cash and was told cash would be refunded, again by the salesman.

Overall not the best experience. Kinda pissed to be honest considering my time, over 5hrs of driving/fuel involved.

FYI the 1999 ford 1720 coming back for sale shortly in NH is really a 1992.

Figured I would provide you guys with the final outcome/update. After speaking with the sales guy at the dealer several times and being provided with only verbal apologies I decided that it would be best if they came and got the tractor. Not willing to work with me on the price and stating that 7 years has no effect on the resale of the tractor I figured it would be best to part ways with my new tool. Salesman stated he would send a truck and the cash this week.

While at work today I get a phone call from the delivery driver saying he is waiting in my yard. Salesman forgot to notify me of when the tractor would be picked up, on top of it all the driver hands over a check even though I paid in cash and was told cash would be refunded, again by the salesman.

Overall not the best experience. Kinda pissed to be honest considering my time, over 5hrs of driving/fuel involved.

i think thats the best outcome. you used the backhoe and did some stuff alebeit fuel and yes 7 years does effect the price of the tractor. yOUr next toy will be better anyhow. i think i would still call the dealer and talk to the HMFIC(owner) and let them know how you feel and you probably wont be doing business with them again.good luck in your search for a new toy.FS.

i think thats the best outcome. you used the backhoe and did some stuff alebeit fuel and yes 7 years does effect the price of the tractor. yOUr next toy will be better anyhow. i think i would still call the dealer and talk to the HMFIC(owner) and let them know how you feel and you probably wont be doing business with them again.good luck in your search for a new toy.FS.

All due respect, but being fairly young and new to the tractor/equipment world, I am wondering what the real world price difference on a given tractor of 7 years greater age should be? As in this case, all other things (condition, previous maintenance, hours, parts availability, brand/model) are the same. How likely is it that there is any major differences between a 1992 and 1999 tractor of the same brand/model that would dramatically alter the retail price on a unit?

shelbythedog, you wanna date a 19 year old girl or a 12 year old girl, it's only 7 years. Just kidding. 7 years means alot even in tractor years. There might not be any change in the actual tractor build but that's 7 years of sitting in a shed or out in the rain or whatever. They should have been reasonable enough to at least offer you a piece of equipment or something at cost to keep you happy and to keep your cash. As for them giving you a check when you gave them cash I would drop and dime and call the tax service and make sure that's ok. I would tell the dealer that first though especially in front of potential customers.

All due respect, but being fairly young and new to the tractor/equipment world, I am wondering what the real world price difference on a given tractor of 7 years greater age should be? As in this case, all other things (condition, previous maintenance, hours, parts availability, brand/model) are the same. How likely is it that there is any major differences between a 1992 and 1999 tractor of the same brand/model that would dramatically alter the retail price on a unit?

shelbythedog, you wanna date a 19 year old girl or a 12 year old girl, it's only 7 years. Just kidding. 7 years means alot even in tractor years. There might not be any change in the actual tractor build but that's 7 years of sitting in a shed or out in the rain or whatever. They should have been reasonable enough to at least offer you a piece of equipment or something at cost to keep you happy and to keep your cash. As for them giving you a check when you gave them cash I would drop and dime and call the tax service and make sure that's ok. I would tell the dealer that first though especially in front of potential customers.

shelby have to agree with cantoo. would you want to buy a year 2000 p/u say $4500 or a 2007 p/u $4500 all other things being equal. i really think the integreity of the dealer is the something to consider. Mesupra did the right thing and the dealer lost out in the whole deal.

Thanks for the heads up on the 1920, I also have a lead on a NewHolland 1920 with a BH for around 13,000.

Wow quite the ordeal! I would have returned the tractor as well. We have a Deere dealer and NH dealer here where I live...that sounds like something the Deere dealer would have pulled. I have a 1600 Ford and keep thinkin a 1920 or 1720 are needed...especially with the backhoe. Wife tells me it's good that I don't have 4x4, power steering, backhoe say's I'd get soft and tear up too much #### otherwise.

Mesra,

I had a good chuckle this morning. Driving on RT 4, I saw the dealership truck go by with a Ford tractor & BH. Figured it was yours!

Sorry you had problems, but you did the right thing in returning it.

To get back to your original question, yes, tractors in this class can handle skidding winches and hauling out logs with no problem.

Best of luck to you in your new search. Just remember to post some pics of the new toy!

She was a good little tractor, just more than I wanted to spend on a 1992, the year does not make much difference to me however when I purchase toys and tools I always like to leave enough room to get rid of them quick without loosing money when and if I even need to. As far as the year goes it does make a big difference when selling item, from my experience year is a bigger factor in price then hours, and in that sense that tractor had nothing going for it, 21 years old and 5000hrs.

Sounds like a bum deal all the way around. Whether it effects the price or not, it was false advetising. It would have been different if you had bought it from an individual, but a dealer knows better, and should be held accountable. I'm all for giving someone the benifit of the doubt, but when it comes to business, I'm usually just giving them more rope to see if they hang themselves or not. When you buy something from a dealership, new or not, you end up paying a considerably more for it (they have to eat too), and you should get something for that extra money, and a good s%@ing doesn't count. You've spoken to them several times, and I'm sure you were more professional about the ordeal than I would have been. You've parted ways with them. Now I'd make sure to let as many people know about it as possible. Based on some of the other feedback on this post, it sounds like that dealership has a decent reputation. I'd be looking to fix that mistake. Stuff like this is why I don't do buisness with some places (like JD Jones and SSK Industries). See there, I just did it again. Feels good ;)

Just my 2 bits,
Mark

Back