1st five things to do this spring..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me its:
2.) Rake the rocks out of the grass on the edge of the driveway
:hmm3grin2orange: thanks, i forgot about that and we have two driveways that i have to clean up....and only had one really big snowfall.

Cutting, splitting and stacking firewood is something I will worry about on Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day weekends.
not me too hot that time a year for splitin'

We bought this Toro 25 HP 52" deck ZTR last year, replaced our Dixon ZTR. Although they are expensive I save a ton of my time to do other things. When I got the Dixon going from a typical riding moxer, I cut my time in half. Got a little more gain when we got the Toro, larger deck and it moves faster.
yes, yes i know and can't wait, i love mowing the lawn but hate spending so much time on a piece of crap and the ZTR will make it SOOOO much better. budget is $6k to 8k but expect it to last the next 20+ years.

looking at
DC
Scag
JD
Toro (cept i don't care for the dealer
Hustler
Dixion

how's the ride? my back yard is ROUGH, working on getting it better, but and the back yard is sloping not HILLY but all on a slope. but wait we are getting way off the topic here ain't we ? :D

i posted this before i think but i do beleive it's time for a new mower ?

DSC04097small.jpg

Last edited:
The one thing I have to do this spring is stain my house. I have been putting it off for the last three years but I got to do it this year.
nice, i helped a buddy build one about 10yrs ago, and i 'thought' he said he HAD to stain every two years? that is one reason i decided against one, I LOVE them and the look inside and out, but a brick has so much less manint....but damn sure is a pretty one....

attachment.php

Very nice! :clap: I'm a sucker for those big wraparound porches.
yes, yes i agree love the porch.....

:hmm3grin2orange: thanks, i forgot about that and we have two driveways that i have to clean up....and only had one really big snowfall.

not me too hot that time a year for splitin'

yes, yes i know and can't wait, i love mowing the lawn but hate spending so much time on a piece of crap and the ZTR will make it SOOOO much better. budget is $6k to 8k but expect it to last the next 20+ years.

looking at
DC
Scag
JD
Toro (cept i don't care for the dealer
Hustler
Dixion

how's the ride? my back yard is ROUGH, working on getting it better, but and the back yard is sloping not HILLY but all on a slope. but wait we are getting way off the topic here ain't we ? :D

i posted this before i think but i do beleive it's time for a new mower ?

DSC04097small.jpg

I believe your left wheel needs balancing. Other than that.... I have an old 74 D-180 horse that I wouldnt part with for love or money.

:)

My list:
1. Find some old metal barn siding and finish roof on wood shed.
2. Split and stack as much wood as I can before the skeeters come and stack in wood shed
3. Try clean up some of my woods (see number 2)
4. Rake the edges of my driveway.
5. Dig out stumps to expand garden.

There is so much more.....

nice, i helped a buddy build one about 10yrs ago, and i 'thought' he said he HAD to stain every two years? that is one reason i decided against one, I LOVE them and the look inside and out, but a brick has so much less manint....but damn sure is a pretty one....

yes, yes i agree love the porch.....

The year we built our home the cedar siding was precoated with a clearcoat that was suposed to be sun resistant and would not fade. By the end of the first summer the south side of our home was faded really bad. It was pre coated with Olympic clearcoat and the company did stand by the warranty and gave us 28 gallons of semi transparent natural tone cedar stain. The only catch was they would not cover the labor so we did it our selves. It took me three weeks. That was in 1996 and we have not stained it since. The picture was taken in 2005.

Those wood siding houses are beautiful, but the upkeep... :dizzy: and wood bees drilling holes in everything.

Gimme a brick and mortar home... I have vinyl, but it wouldn't be my first choice if money weren't an issue.

Ian

The year we built our home the cedar siding was precoated with a clearcoat that was suposed to be sun resistant and would not fade. By the end of the first summer the south side of our home was faded really bad. It was pre coated with Olympic clearcoat and the company did stand by the warranty and gave us 28 gallons of semi transparent natural tone cedar stain. The only catch was they would not cover the labor so we did it our selves. It took me three weeks. That was in 1996 and we have not stained it since. The picture was taken in 2005.

I built a Swiss Chalet type home w/ a 14 ft cat ceiling, real redwood siding. I was told to let it weather... when it turned an ugly gray/brn I stained it with a med brn solid color stain. Stained it twice in 30 years. Doubt if I'll do it again. Redwood isn't invincible. Neither was my " best quality " pressure treated deck. Left it go one year like they recommend then stained it. Too late.. The cracks had come from shrinkage and just kept opening up in the freeze and thaw cycle. Staining is NOT on my list.. Neither is replacing my deck for the third time.

:censored:

1. Change diapers of future log splitter
2. switch the air intake from Snowflake to Sunshine on the ms290 and cut a plethora of wood as to not have to worry about it in colder months
3. Plant an acre of pumpkins to sell in fall. (Also consume 1 acre of valuable lawn space to save some mowing)
4. Roll Yard. (It suffered the ill effects of a 2wd hauling wood across it this winter thus creating some ruts and overall un-evenness) Multi-tasking I may drink a few beers as the Rolling lines must not be 100% straight)
5. Change oil in the motorcycle and "conserve" gas while going back and forth to work during the week.

I believe your left wheel needs balancing. Other than that.... I have an old 74 D-180 horse that I wouldnt part with for love or money.

:)
ya think? :D
yep know the feeling.. have another WH 74 B-80 that does everything around here works like a min-bulldozer, last summer when i re-graded and added more gravel to the shop.

DSC03675small.jpg

Imagine the rush going from a B-80 to a D-180. They like to knock out stumps if there's enough traction. I'm not sure what I could buy thats similar to what this is. 1,100 lbs w/out the mowing deck is a lot of lawn tractor.

And to add to the list: Clear an area to park all this equipment.

:dizzy:

1. Build woodshed
2. Landscape around house
3. Add fencing to horse pasture
4. Repair horse shed and repair roundpen
5. Get 2nd job to pay for horses

:censored: :deadhorse:

1 keep cutting and splitting as long as I can
2 get the garden ready, expand it threefold
3 Get fields planted
4 paint house
5 get to cutting lots-o-wood and stacking her tall and long.

1. Cut up trees in my woods downed from this winters storms.
2. Build woodshed.
3. Add more insulation to attic.
4. Retire after 33 yrs. with same employer.
5. Split and stack wood.

Need to fit an occasional beer in there and talk wife into the fact that I need a tractor during my retired years!

4. Retire after 33 yrs. with same employer.

Congrats on your 'up coming' retirement. Hopefully you can sit back take it easy when you want to, and wonder into the woods and cut some wood when you feel like it. Good luck on the tractor also !!!

1. cut more wood
2. get new wood splitter(will post pics)
3. split and rank wood
4. cut more wood
5. train my golden retriever

1. Get that big oak I posted pics of out before it gets to wet in there, I've only recently been able to find it again. For most of january and begining of febuary it has been burried in 3 feet of snow. Now the heat is on so to speak :chainsaw:

2 Finish my driveway on my own piece of proporty so I can get out on my own

3 dig well, septic system and install utilities for above goal

4 pour cement pad for the double wide my uncle is selling me

5 move double wide to new location.

This list will probly take me spring summer and into the fall but I'm really looking forward to getting into my own place on my own land :cheers:

1. Remodel 2nd bathroom; refinish clawfoot tub and 1920's era pedestal lav.
2. Strip/refinish rear deck
3. Open outdoor kitchen, stock fridge with beer,smoke lotsa meat.
4. Demo rear add-on of workshop, rebuild.

:cheers::cheers:

Thanks ICreek!

Congrats on your 'up coming' retirement. Hopefully you can sit back take it easy when you want to, and wonder into the woods and cut some wood when you feel like it. Good luck on the tractor also !!!

I'll need good luck on the tractor...but I already have a older 4wd wood hauler, a wood splitter and she said i can get a new chainsaw...So it should be pretty good. I am also going to build the wood shed finally this summer..hoora no more tarps with 3 ft. of snow on them.

I appreciate the good wishes!

1st i'm going mushroom huntin,whatever the other 4 are they can wait.

Latest posts

Back