1st loads/new trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wife'nHubby

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
100_0223.jpg

1st load: Doesn't look like much spread on the driveway but it was a level load on the 4x8 trailer.

100_0224.jpg

2nd load.

One more load to do tomorrow.

The driveway is a mess! A nice mess at that! Free BTU's are nice! :)

Shari

Holy cow they have green grass already!!:jawdrop: Nice looking trailer but I though you were getting one with a pintle hook? Looks like you will get plenty of use out of it.

Yes, there is a pintle on the trailer. I'm still figuring out if I like it or not. We've got an uneven surface where our driveway meets our 'temporary' road surface. It is interesting when I'm backing up the driveway when I run over that uneven surface & the hitch goes 'clang' - I cringe thinking I hit something. :)

Shari

Looking good. Still can't get over the mesh. That was a good idea.

How did the trailer go when it's loaded?

Nice Shari. Hows your backing skills? Must be good to back in the driveway. Im impressed. :)

How's my backing skills? Ha! Ha! Now he asks! I think I'm re-known for them (I'll let you figure out what that means. :) ) Actually, they are much better with the longer trailer. My 85 yr. neighbor lady was sitting outside the other day when I came home with the trailer and actually clapped and shouted over to me "Great job!" Our double wide driveway helps a lot! It was interesting yesterday: They were pouring cement at the new house across from us. Two cement trucks, one on the road; a dump truck with a skid-steer trailer right across from my driveway, a couple of pickup trucks - I missed them all & hit my driveway. :)

Looking good. Still can't get over the mesh. That was a good idea.

How did the trailer go when it's loaded?

It's working out great so far. I have to find those tie-wraps for cyclone fencing. I think those wraps are a better, more permanent idea.

Sits pretty - tows great! I've got, I think, 6-1/2" wheel well clearance when empty. I looked at it when loaded yesterday - didn't measure it but still have at least 5" clearance.

How has the ramp worked for loading? Jerry

Well, the ramp has a dingle in the center where something heavy went through the mesh so I'm carrying a section of plywood to protect the tires on my dolly. The mesh needs some heat and a heavy hammer in that area along with either some tacking and/or replacement mesh.
100_0228.jpg

In looking at how that ramp is mounted, by removing certain pins and placing them elsewhere that gate might also be designed to swing to the side which would be great when using my winch. The top rail on this trailer is slightly different than the previous mount so haven't used the winch yet. I can see where the using the winch would be easier with heavier rounds. We've got some bigger rounds to haul today but most of them have some hollow areas so hopefully they won't be too heavy overall for me.

Shari

Last edited:
Nice Shari. Hows your backing skills? Must be good to back in the driveway. Im impressed. :)

A lady that knows how to back a trailer! Way cool! I bet she knows how to drive a vehicle with a manual trannie too! 3 on the tree?

The guy that taught me how to back a trailer to this day doesn't have his drivers license. He's ~4 years older than me. He was born with fetal alcohol syndrome. Shakes like a leaf! I put together a few plastic semi models for him.

The way he taught me was. “Don’t drive the vehicle. Steer the trailer as if you have the tongue of the trailer in your hand.” I think I’ve worded this better in the past….but (I hope) you get the idea.

Oh....nice load of wood. If I lived closer, I'd be over to give a hand.

A lady that knows how to back a trailer! Way cool! I bet she knows how to drive a vehicle with a manual trannie too! 3 on the tree?

Actually, it was in the mid 1960's, first trip out was night time, with my Dad, me driving (or rather attempting to drive) a 1952 Willys (with snowplow attached) with 3 on the floor. I still swear that shift lever was too low. :) Every time we hit a bump in the road the plow bounced up and blocked the headlights. :)

We recently sold the Willys and I just about bawled. :(

willys2.jpg

Second day of driving lessons it was a pickup with 3 on the tree along with a tire change lesson. :)

As far as backing goes: I admit I had problems at first but since hubby's not allowed to drive anymore I had to learn. I tried all different advice but the best advice I got was from our youngest son: "Mom, it's really not that hard. Just follow the trailer." So, now I 'follow the trailer' and I do just fine. :)

Shari

Yep, get that winch going on that new trailer as soon as you can. I dont know what I would do without my winch, although Its fun telling folks when they ask how I got them in the trailer, "Well shoot, I just chunked em in there."

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thats what happens when you are throwing 20 inch rounds at the trailer from 15ft away and you miss......:mad:

Heck I thought maybe you just fell the tree right over the fenders onto the trailer, then you bucked it up to save on loading time!:biggrinbounce2:

How about a pic of the winch mounts you are talking about? I'd like to see how to do that on my trailer.

Heck I thought maybe you just fell the tree right over the fenders onto the trailer, then you bucked it up to save on loading time!:biggrinbounce2:

Wanna hear a funny story along those lines?

Buddy borrowed my trailer a year or so back. Was going to haul some wood, and generally he is a good guy, so i told him go ahead.

A week later I happened to look out his backyard at my trailer, and there were a dozen holes through all the floor boards.WTF?
When I finally managed to get to my feet and get my hands unwrapped from around his neck, he confessed to what he did.
He was cutting up on top of a steep bank, with a sharp drop off down to the road.Try as hard as he could, he wasnt able to pull the trailer on up to to the top because of the steep hill and the mud, so he figured that it would be easy enough to park the trailer down on the hill and let the rounds roll down the hill and drop into the trailer.

"Ed, you should have seen it, it was perfect.I bucked a round off the log, it would drop, hit the ground, and roll right down the hill and land in the trailer.I thought I had hit the mother load when I realized I had cut and loaded a cord and half of red oak in less than 40 minutes. After loading up the saws, we headed back to town and i was feeling pretty fresh until I glanced in the side view mirror and noticed a round bouncing all over the highway. Pulled over, looked the trailer over, and didnt see any more rounds that looked like they would fall out. Nearly got hit trying to get that round off the highway, but finally was on the way again when dang it, there went another round!"

"couldnt figure it out, everything looked like it was well in place until I noticed a hole in the floorboards. Then another.And another one. Had to call my brother to run to Home Depot for some plywood, deliver it to me out on the highway, unload the trailer, lay the plywood down, and reload the wood. Took me four hours to get home."

My response? "Well, just think how much time its going to take you to pull all those floor boards up and replace them all....."

Your buddy sounds like he could be my cousin. When every I build something I want tested I let him use it. If he doesn't break it in a couple months I know the design will last anybody else a lifetime.:laugh::laugh:

Latest posts

Back