1st Season With OWB only one minor repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laird

Nemo me impune lacessit
Reaction score
Finished up my first season with my OWB and have one minor repair to make. On the coldest day in January (-15 F) the power cable for the fan snapped. Just the outer plastic covering and the metal shielding. The wires remained intact and I continued to run it for the remainder of the season.

Dealer came out and looked at it and said it was covered under warranty and he would replace it. He said it seemed to be a materials flaw because it was not the first one he had to replace but that he would end up putting another of the same type on. I told him not to, that I was going to replace it with some outdoor grade 10/2 braided wire since I figured the new one would break as well. The wire I am going to use is much more flexible and rated for -50C - +105C and I have some laying around.

We'll see how that works next season.

attachment.php

attachment.php

That door fitting

Needs a 45° fitting or a 90° fitting to give it somewhere to flex.. At least that is my opinion.

Make it longer and put a loop in it. And your right, use armored cable next time, I belive its designated AC at your local elec. supply. Using that liquid tight was just plain stupied. Your lucky you didn't wear through the insulation on the wires and cause a short, fixing that at -20 would not be fun.

AC isnt outdoor rated.
That fan cant draw much,use a old 16guage extension cord.

That is true, the wires inside that cable couldn't be any heavier than 16. I have alot of wire types and sizes laying around to play with, but I may go with your idea.

AC isnt outdoor rated.
That fan cant draw much,use a old 16guage extension cord.

I don't think we're exactly in NEC territory here. The AC on my CB is in excellent condition after 7 years use. I figure the doors been opened & closed close to 4,000 times. Not sure if an old extension cord will last that long but it might, especially if its an all-weather cord with UV inhibitor. If not all bets are off.

Latest posts

Back