1st time fuelwood gatherer!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trailer: Check your local Craigslist for a decent trailer, and/or ask around. No need to go new. I just bought a nice little 5x10 trailer for $300. Just make sure it has a title!! Seller didn't have one, so I told them I wouldn't buy it. It's much cheaper/easier for the current owner to get a replacement title than someone who doesn't own it. MUCH cheaper.

Permit: I helped a buddy do some permit wood in WA many years ago. Fallen or standing dead only. Wasn't worth the trip, since everything decent was already gone. Unless you know where to go, it might not be worth it. Check that scrounging thread. Lots of great info there.
Ya public land wood permits can have their downfalls. A lot of public forest got hammered for firewood during the recession ie lots of folks bought 8 cords of permits and cut 32 cords. There is very little standing dead in the national forest here where I live. Log truck loads can be tricky to buy, you need to make them be honest with you about how many cords are on it. The types of trucks used for home delivery varies from region to region, so find a local expert and have them school you.

image.jpg image.jpg So got permits, drove 2 hrs each way with 6x12 uhaul trailer and had some fun...all dead down, topped and limbed. Will probably go back up July, the 15% grade was interesting, but will not deter another visit! Splitting tomorrow and stacking to see what it all adds up to, took a little less than full trailer 1st day as wasnt sure about return journey up 15% grade with the full whack...plus it was gravel road.

All pine ... Well it is colorado.. Will probably have to buy in a seasoned mix.

View attachment 430287 View attachment 430288 So got permits, drove 2 hrs each way with 6x12 uhaul trailer and had some fun...all dead down, topped and limbed. Will probably go back up July, the 15% grade was interesting, but will not deter another visit! Splitting tomorrow and stacking to see what it all adds up to, took a little less than full trailer 1st day as wasnt sure about return journey up 15% grade with the full whack...plus it was gravel road.

All pine ... Well it is colorado.. Will probably have to buy in a seasoned mix.
only que is,,you got tow package on that??? if not,,go get a large trans cooler somewhere,,and get it on NOW,,Before you roast the trans....and even if it is tow,,id still do it....waaay hot trans oil,,makes for short trans life.....built a many in the past....

Yeah got tow pack, ran tow mode all the way, high revs, crap gas mpg, but supposed to keep the oil temp under control, but experience is better then words in a book, so tks for the tips..! how the hell do you weigh it out? Short of putting one kid in one arm and a log in the other :)

Latest posts

Back