1st Tree Removal Project help - Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Smith

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So, I've received some great help figuring out my new chainsaw. I am very grateful for this. The timing is excellent because a tree came down in the yard and I'll need to clear it. I'm looking for advice because I've never done this before.

A quick search for tips let me learn about "tension" and "pressure" sides of a tree, as well as relief cuts. I'm wondering what my steps should be with this tree, however.

Where would you start? Or, better yet, where should I, as a total beginner, start? For safety I currently have quality ear muffs/protectors, gloves, and a full face polycarbonate shield.

p.s. I think this tree is actually bigger than it looks.

IMG_20180309_141958483_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180309_142011415_HDR.jpg IMG_20180309_142027258_HDR.jpg

Top cut tho the trunk slowly as shown the cut should open and the tree settle to the ground, oh the stump may also fold back.

Be in place you can move away as canopy it may roll or trunk release & buck up.

once its down begin to dock off all limbs working from bottom to tree top do hand full move them away & then continue while watching for tension and jam,, have an axe wedge and crow bar lever to help you when it does & dont go yankin hard on ya saw you'll bust the handle and mounts.

If you can get some chain saw chaps for leg protection id feel much better about your safety as this is a classic 1st time potential for harm.

IMG_20180309_141958483_HDR (1).jpg

Thanks. I appreciate the tips. I'll need to wait a bit before I tackle this tree because there is a huge puddle on the opposite side. This might give me plenty of time to find an old pair of chaps. I have seen them on ebay recently.

I'll weigh all scenarios and also get an outside observer before I start to cut. I think I'll likely use some heavy rope in some fashion to help eliminate the chances of the tree doing something unpredictable. At just over 50 years old I don't have to go in there swinging - and I'm not in a rush, so hopefully this will help me complete the project without any issues.

Pretty exciting have this new (used) Makita DCS 6421. I'm looking forward to putting it to good use.

Thanks. I appreciate the tips. I'll need to wait a bit before I tackle this tree because there is a huge puddle on the opposite side. This might give me plenty of time to find an old pair of chaps. I have seen them on ebay recently.

I'll weigh all scenarios and also get an outside observer before I start to cut. I think I'll likely use some heavy rope in some fashion to help eliminate the chances of the tree doing something unpredictable. At just over 50 years old I don't have to go in there swinging - and I'm not in a rush, so hopefully this will help me complete the project without any issues.

Pretty exciting have this new (used) Makita DCS 6421. I'm looking forward to putting it to good use.

thumbs up your doing & saying all the right things & i was curious on how you were going to treat that puddle

oh there heaps of diy youtube vid on "fallen tree dismantle" drop that in search and watch the how to and how not too

Thanks Derwood. I appreciate the thumbs up. Videos on how to dismantle a fallen tree would be very helpful for me. Thanks for mentioning this. The "not to" seems pretty key too :) Thanks!

Just realize if that ball sets in the hole the trunk your cutting will come toward you and lift which is fine just step back and let it then just as Derwood said work the weight off the rock wall throws in some unpredictability but also provides some safety from being crushed. Always look at the kerf and read the way its acting if opening cut slow and be ready to move at a moments notice and that can mean leaving the saw sometimes. In this case the saw shouldn't be a problem but there are times you just got to let go and get out of the way and hope it makes it as it is not as important as your body parts or life!

Cutting at the halfway point will have a newbie cutting overhead not a great safe thing to do. If you had a pole saw sure but buying a pole saw for one tree is like buying a car for one trip ya know?

I would strip the branchs as much as you could reach comfortably, and then cut the stem above the rock wall, standing on the upper grass on the right hand side of the tree (you have lots of room to run). Cutting here will only leave a ~6' stub.

+2 on getting chaps or saw pants. IMO more important than a face shield.

If my tree, I'd first limb it then cut the trunk at the 1/2 way point. The bottom 1/2 will probably stand up.
I second this method limb it as high as you can.
Each branch makes it lighter so each time it may lift if root ball if it’s not set.
Borrow or use pole saw to cut the rest of the limbs off.
Then drop and buck up.
Watch out for old rock wall damage.

Top cut tho the trunk slowly as shown the cut should open and the tree settle to the ground, oh the stump may also fold back.

Be in place you can move away as canopy it may roll or trunk release & buck up.

once its down begin to dock off all limbs working from bottom to tree top do hand full move them away & then continue while watching for tension and jam,, have an axe wedge and crow bar lever to help you when it does & dont go yankin hard on ya saw you'll bust the handle and mounts.

If you can get some chain saw chaps for leg protection id feel much better about your safety as this is a classic 1st time potential for harm.

View attachment 638517
looks like it all most hit the house

Cutting at the halfway point will have a newbie cutting overhead not a great safe thing to do. If you had a pole saw sure but buying a pole saw for one tree is like buying a car for one trip ya know?
I agree that he should not have the saw overhead :surprised3:.
But since he bought the 6421 just in case, now he has a perfect reason to buy a pole saw, and I say go for it :happy:.

Back