2 bar sizes....for a 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrekJeff

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm going with a 36 bar, but also was reading and it makes sense to get a small bar. Saw is a 660, I've seen people talk about 24, 25 ect, help me decide.

For my 661 I’ve got a 32” that I use for milling and 28” lightweight.
36” is a good length for milling, don’t go with a 32. I will be upgrading to a 36” this year. The 28” is nice for general bucking and felling. But when bucking smaller firewood (12” and less) It’s just a little to long. With the dogs against the log you have to worry about the nose rocking into the ground. A 24” would be better but still long enough for a 6’ person to not have to bend over.

I'm going with a 36 bar, but also was reading and it makes sense to get a small bar. Saw is a 660, I've seen people talk about 24, 25 ect, help me decide.

What other size saws/bars do you have and what kind of stuff are you cutting? If you already have a strong 20" bar saw (60-70cc), I'd go 28" and 36" on the 660. If your only other saws are more like 40-50cc with 18" and under, then I'd go 24" on the 660. But, that's how I'd do things in the mature hardwood I cut in WI. Not sure what the timber is like where you are.

What other size saws/bars do you have and what kind of stuff are you cutting? If you already have a strong 20" bar saw (60-70cc), I'd go 28" and 36" on the 660. If your only other saws are more like 40-50cc with 18" and under, then I'd go 24" on the 660. But, that's how I'd do things in the mature hardwood I cut in WI. Not sure what the timber is like where you are.
Good point. The other operational saw is a MS260 with a 16 bar. In the middle of restoring a JRed 630 Super. That does have a 20 for it.
The thought of a smaller bar for the 660 was milling smaller logs.
lots of red pine, just south of Traverse City MI

I bought my saw new and asked for a 25, 36, and 42. Was checking out and the shop owner came up and said I'd have to come back the next day and get the 42, picked it up and walked away. Followed him and asked what's up? He said if the 42 was on the same receipt as the power head, it would void the warranty on the power head. He said it would pull the 42 fine, but 36 was max recommended. I never needed the 42, use the 25 for most of my firewood, and use the 36 for all of my milling. Mostly Red, Chestnut, and White Oak.

25,36 and 42. upgraded my 660 to a high output oiler and it oils great on the 36. On the 42 or really dry hard stuff, I use an aux oiler on the tip with cooking oil from Aldis grocery store. Use the smallest bar for the log and I change up often. I don't cut any softwoods.

Back