2 big ol cottowoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihltheOne

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I dropped 2, 36 inch dbh cottonwoods Sun. Man it was like up town. The big giants are dead, dry, white and were standing tall. They both came down just perfectly, was quite proud of myself. It was one of those days, good one!! My 36 inch bar just peeked through so I was able to get it all from one side. I set them down so gentle that it was almost like I knew what I was doing, I even got a atta boy from my wife. I cut over 4 cords out of them, man I was one tired dog at the end of the day. I know that most of you will turn up your nose at cottonwood, but in these parts it is a real treat. I have somein the stoves right now, man it makes a ton of heat. These two were # 2 and 3 of the four that have to go. Only one more and were finished. I believe that we are at about 8 cords so far with one tree left. SCORE!

Good job! Burn what you can get. It isn't the best wood but you have it and it'll burn just fine.

:clap::clap::clap:

Ya gotta love a good day when things go so well ya start getting paranoid!!!

Wood snobs? LOL!!! Most are shiney shoes types that have a heat bill above $100. Let 'em turn thier noses up.

My Hootch can't tell that it's a cozy 75 from Oak,walnut, birch, or cottonwood.;)

Ya can't burn snow...

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I got my gas bill today. The cost of gas was 10 and change, the base charge for sending the bill is 15, course, then they have to charge for distribution. That makes the total bill 36 bucks for the 10 of gas that I burn to heat water and cook. aaarrrggg. OWB sounding better all the time, but at this rate the payout would be longer than I will be walking the earth. Cottonwood in the house stove and in the blaze king in the shop as I type.

thats great wish i could do that its been rainin here:bang: those cottonwoods are safe for now.:D

I have found standing dead cottonwood is very dense and burns very well. I have even been known to cut a ring around the bark of live tree and let it cure standing, works very good for next season's wood.

I dropped 2, 36 inch dbh cottonwoods Sun. Man it was like up town. The big giants are dead, dry, white and were standing tall. They both came down just perfectly, was quite proud of myself. It was one of those days, good one!! My 36 inch bar just peeked through so I was able to get it all from one side. I set them down so gentle that it was almost like I knew what I was doing, I even got a atta boy from my wife. I cut over 4 cords out of them, man I was one tired dog at the end of the day. I know that most of you will turn up your nose at cottonwood, but in these parts it is a real treat. I have somein the stoves right now, man it makes a ton of heat. These two were # 2 and 3 of the four that have to go. Only one more and were finished. I believe that we are at about 8 cords so far with one tree left. SCORE!

Did you burn that right away or did you let it season(Dry out) I too cut cottonwood but let it dry for at least 9 months. Just asking because it's very wet and smells like "Pisswood" when cut and heavy as hell. When it does dry it does'nt have many BTU but burns nice when dry. Funny I just cut up a Bigdaddy that was 5' across, they do get BIG!

Not much cottonwood on my property, I have one or two down by the swamp, but that's about it. I understand they like "wet feet" and my sand hills don't provide a lot of that.

I do love making wood out of the big stuff though, it's a lot of work, but a lot of wood in a short time compared to cutting up a bunch of 8" stuff.

I don't care if it's cottonwood or oak, big trees like that let you justify that big saw pretty easy! Might even be able to claim you need one a bit bigger yet...

Not wanting to take a verbal beating but, I burn almost any wood I can find. We have a yard waist collection center here that has tree limbs, good wood sometimes. I just see it as waist to let it rot or get pushed into a pile to get burned. I drag home all kinds of stuff from there. So good job.:cheers:

Did you burn that right away or did you let it season(Dry out) I too cut cottonwood but let it dry for at least 9 months. Just asking because it's very wet and smells like "Pisswood" when cut and heavy as hell. When it does dry it does'nt have many BTU but burns nice when dry. Funny I just cut up a Bigdaddy that was 5' across, they do get BIG!
Big is correct. The largest cottonwood tree recently blew down in Seward, Nebraska after it reached 36.75 feet in circumference, 85 feet in height, and 107 feet in crown spread.

That would have made the trunk just under 12' across at 4' up from the ground. Pin oak trees will grow taller, but they never reach that circumference.

Big is correct. The largest cottonwood tree recently blew down in Seward, Nebraska after it reached 36.75 feet in circumference, 85 feet in height, and 107 feet in crown spread.

That would have made the trunk just under 12' across at 4' up from the ground. Pin oak trees will grow taller, but they never reach that circumference.

Yeah! I used my 28" Oregon Power match bar on my MS460 and had to cut on both ends to buck it up.

Bruiser1

I did not wait to burn it. Some in the stove now.
these have been dead for 5 years. The bottom of the trunks are a tad damp, from the wood wicking up som water, nut much, but I can tell that they are a little damp. If the wood is wet, ususally is when I get it, I let it dry for at least a summer or so. I have found that it will keep for years and just seems to get better with age. We do not have the problem of rotting in the pile here as it is bone dry here most of the time.

Not much cottonwood on my property, I have one or two down by the swamp, but that's about it. I understand they like "wet feet" and my sand hills don't provide a lot of that.

I do love making wood out of the big stuff though, it's a lot of work, but a lot of wood in a short time compared to cutting up a bunch of 8" stuff.

I don't care if it's cottonwood or oak, big trees like that let you justify that big saw pretty easy! Might even be able to claim you need one a bit bigger yet...

Yep, I can cut up a cord of the big stuff in a matter of minutes. I was cutting to length, and then quartering the big ones as fast as my buddy could load them in the truck. I think that we filled the truck, I mean filled the truck, in about 40 min or so. I suppose that there was an honest cord in the truck after it is split. It was cab high all the way and stacked pretty tight. I love those "gas cans, saws and dog" in the cab loads.

I cut one that was 60" dbh a couple years ago and if I remember right I think we got about 12 cords out of it alone. It was a monster!!! It had several very large arms that were over 36" each.

Wow those are some big trees... We have a few Cottonwoods around our farm, not as common as Elms, Oaks, and Hickorys.

If I remember my history, Lewis and Clark noted they could not have finished their expedition without the cottonwoods along the Missouri river.

Latest posts

Back