2 cords done 8 to go-one tree!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihltheOne

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Got the first 2 of about 10+ that will come out of one big ol blown down cottonwood. Just got the gravey small dry out of it today. We will start the rest of the project as soon as it cools off a bit. The trunk of this beast is right at 8' dbh, she was a big one!!

We want pics! We want pics! We want pics!

I mean this is suicide. Telling others of a monster tree without pics?! :dizzy:

;)

I have some pix, I can not make them jump outa my phone and onto the computer though..... Yes sir there is at least 10 in this one, real full cords! I sure wish that I could make pix happen. I will try again.... ugh why does it have to be so involved?? This tree is 8' at the base, has 5-6 3' arms left, and some smaller ones as well, and about 75' tall it is just a monster. Oh what do you mean low btu??? Around here this is the GOOD stuff!! LOL! It is about as good as it gets around here! My buddy had his 440 there cutting away and I drug out my 660 w/36" on, he just looked up and said the " now I feel inadequate" heh heh heh. I have a few more of this monsters to work when I am done with this one!

YOu can email the pics to your computer. Just send a text message to your email address, and attach the pic.

Check your payment plan first, though. This might get expensive, or it might be free.

The better way is with a cord that connects them. Worth the 20 bucks or so.

We have a few of these monsters on our place. They are so big that most people just leave the main trunk and take the limbs as they come down. I know of at least three main trunks that are just laying by the road and no one wants them. Such a wast, but that is what happens when you have so many oaks around. I would still love to see some pics.

Thats a BIG tree...I'd like to see pics too. Those big old cottonwoods are turkey roosting heaven! My question is how did you buck up the trunk with a 36" bar?

My question is how did you buck up the trunk with a 36" bar?

Easy cheesy. 2 noodling cuts to divide the trunk into thirds, buck 2 18" rounds off and repeat. Each round will come out in 3 pieces.. You'll have to take the outside sections off then go back and get the center piece.

Ian

Last edited:
Thats a BIG tree...I'd like to see pics too. Those big old cottonwoods are turkey roosting heaven! My question is how did you buck up the trunk with a 36" bar?

Never done a 8' with a 36" but have done a few 4' with a 16" and a 5' with a 20" Got my bar pinched when I cut one of those pieces of oak loose. Wasn't thinking about how much a that chunk would weigh when it came lose. First time I ever got my saw out by pulling the log with the truck.

Easy cheesy. 2 noodling cuts to divide the trunk into thirds, buck 2 18" rounds off and repeat. Each round will come out in 3 pieces.. You'll have to take the outside sections off then go back and get the center piece.

Ian

Ah-ha...makes sense. i never have and probably never will cut anything close to that big. If i get into anything 3ft its huge, and i have only run into that a couple times!

10 full cords off one tree!?
ill believe it when i see it !
its very hard to estimate how many cords are in a tree when its standing.. once you start cuttingn and stacking, it starts shrinking fast, they always seem to have more wood while standing

I can send you anyone a pix that could put it on here if that would help. I have done a few of these trees, YES they will make that much wood, it almost seems to grow as I whittle it up. The trunk on this one is hollowed out a bit for the first 4 feet, will make it easy to noodle up. This tree is broke off at about 9' up and still perched on the stump. I have a plan to get it down, but it might be vidio worthy.....The last one of these I did made 9.5 real cords and was quite a bit smaller. We took out 2 cords Sun and did not even get the area cleaned up of snags and dead stuff laying around. We will start making "real" wood when we get into the heavy stuff. Most of this tree is alive, or at least green this year when it went down, boy cottonwood is heavy when wet.

Okay, folks, here's the long-awaited picture. That's a big tree! Getting that thing off the stump is going to be interesting! :dizzy:

attachment.php

Many Thanks for getting that pix on for me. It does not do justince to the size of it, and there is a 34" arm that is out of the pix that was drug out w/the John Deere. I am going to have another whack at it this weekend, would like to get it off of the stump!

Latest posts

Back