2 cycle oil choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless u have a Phd in chemical engineering, practical experience is the next best thing
You don't need a PHD or even an engineering degree, although neither hurt.
The information is out there on alot of this stuff. You just have to sift through alot of crap and misinformation to find it.
With that said most of this oil stuff amounts to pole vaulting over mouse turds. Its just doesn't matter that much as long as you use the correct type of oil.

The thing about Aspen, Tru Fuel, etc is the price borders on insane. Probably not a bad option for seldomly used equipment.
The difference in pricing here is not as big as it is in United States. 98 RON E5 gasoline costs around 1.6 € per litre and bargain prices for Aspen 2T have been around 3 € , sometimes even 2.50€.
Price is not a big issue as my consumption is around 10 litres of 2 stroke fuel per year.
I also use 4 stroke small engine fuel with the lawnmower. Totally hassle-free first starts in May, always on the first pull, with pump fuel six pulls was just the beginning.

MOTUL 800 2T transcends in large part from two stroke World of top Road and Motocross Racing teams makes a great choice for ur saws .
Motul 800 is a high quality oil. That doesnt make it the best choice for a saw. For starters ester oils offer little to no corrosion protection.
Why would one think that an oil designed for high output, high strung racing machines operated under heavy loads is optimal for a low strung, low out put, disposable piece of equipment operated under low loads?

Never said it was the best oil to use , choice is up to who ever wants to use it l believe if ur a faller or sell wood for living ur using ur saws pretty hard for hours on end at relatively high rpms in blazing heat or freezing cold and hopefully ur not throwing saws away often, there rather expensive if ported

Never said it was the best oil to use , choice is up to who ever wants to use it l believe if ur a faller or sell wood for living ur using ur saws pretty hard for hours on end at relatively high rpms in blazing heat or freezing cold and hopefully ur not throwing saws away often, there rather expensive if ported
Loggers in my old neck of the woods use a saw for two seasons max. It then either gets given away, saved for parts or put on a log truck to trim ends. I don't know if a one of them would even know what a ported saw is. Often they run factory mix oil or some of the more frugal ones run el cheapo Walmart boat oil. All at 50:1.
When I logged I ran mostly stock saws and used whatever oil I was running in my bikes at 32:1. I can't say for certain that I got better life out of my saws than the guys running factory mix oil. Of course this was in the early 2000's before strato saws and all that.

I think he being a faller for 35 plus years and building saws for almost as long and the research he does makes him qualified !!
He may be the best faller, and may build a ok saw if you have a grand for a port job. But I tried to talk with him, and all I have to say is the dude is a jerk, and that's putting it nicely, so he lost all credibility with me after my interaction with him.

Motul 800 is a high quality oil. That doesnt make it the best choice for a saw. For starters ester oils offer little to no corrosion protection.
Why would one think that an oil designed for high output, high strung racing machines operated under heavy loads is optimal for a low strung, low out put, disposable piece of equipment operated under low loads?
Motul 800 works fine in saws, but may not always fully combust. The corrosion argument has been over exaggerated especially in a chainsaws IMHO.

Motul 800 works fine in saws, but may not always fully combust. The corrosion argument has probably over exaggerated especially in a chainsaws.
Not fully combusting isnt my idea of fine, but that's just me. If you tune it pretty sharp and run aggressive chain it will burn ok, at least it did in a modified MS260 I had. I would bet it would be decent for milling.
For those living in humid areas, those that run ethanol fuel or those that store their saws for long period of time corrosion is very much an issue. I live in Montana now where it's pretty damn dry. But with that said I am not running saws as very often at all so I always lay them up with avgas/20:1 mineral oil.

I keep my saws I'm a garage that gets very humid in the summer and I have many saws that sit for a year at a time, I have never seen any corrosion problems. I'm guessing the info you have is dated to the early esther and castor oils from Klotz and Red line.

Just try this VPracing rated FD 100% Cost rounded up $7 per 16oz so say $14 a quart. Can buy anywhere it seems.

View attachment 869814
this is the 2cycle oil i use.. i run my saws 40:1 i have older saws that say 25:1 been running this 40:1 in them no problem.. i cannot bring myself to run 50:1. i just recently went to 40:1 and i worry sometimes... hahaha

oh, i didn’t care for the Echo Red armor 2cycle oil.. didn’t run that great in my saws. states it has some properties that supposedly “cleans” carbon off of old engines while running..pfffftt Junk!

I keep my saws I'm a garage that gets very humid in the summer and I have many saws that sit for a year at a time, I have never seen any corrosion problems. I'm guessing the info you have is dated to the early esther and castor oils from Klotz and Red line.
No, not dated at all.
Most of the ester oils mentioned on this page were available 20+ years ago. With the decline in two cycle motorcycles very little new development has been done.

No, not dated at all.
Most of the ester oils mentioned on this page were available 20+ years ago. With the decline in two cycle motorcycles very little new development has been done.
Most of the manufacturers have updated the formulas, Motul, Maxima, Amsoil and others. K2 was reformulated about ten years ago, Motul 800 about 6, and 710 in it's self not that old. Companies like Klotz are too small for that investment. So I would say some of your info is outdated IMHO.

Most of the manufacturers have updated the formulas, Motul, Maxima, Amsoil and others. K2 was reformulated about ten years ago, Motul 800 about 6, and 710 in it's self not that old. Companies like Klotz are too small for that investment. So I would say some of your info is outdated IMHO.
Update or not the physical properties of esters have not changed.
It's also worth noting that most of the newer oils and those that are FD rated do not use a straight ester formula. There are reasons for this.

Great thread I read all the posts over the last 2 days ;
I appreciate all comments and it helped me finally make a decision on what to buy for 2 cycle oil .

I have been buying stihl oil for the past few mainly because of brand name reputation , no other reason than that but never liked the pricing of it.

After reading all these posts I went to tractor supply and bought a 16 oz. bottle of the VP full synthetic 2 cycle oil for $7.99 and going to be using that and I am also going to get a gallon of the Motul 710 T2

Never paid any attention to what really goes into making a quality oil just made the common uninformed consumer opinion that the brand name and higher cost make the better product , not very wise but probably very common . So thanks to all who posted and I respect your experience as it helped me make an informed decision this time around .
Also I bought a new saw this week ( Echo Cs590 ) again this decision was made by the outstanding comments I have read here on this site , this took me about 2 weeks to finally nail my choice down by reading many posts , another purchase was a new pair of Red Wing boots but I was able to figure that one out on my own.

You guys offer some great information and enjoy reading your posts

The pumpkin pancakes I can’t get enough of them. Even good whole wheat pancakes but butter milk are good some days. Good real maple syrup.

Pumpkin syrup yummy just a little will do. There’s a guy here selling fresh maple syrup too. Good real stuff. No “IHOP” needed. We use fresh Amish roll butter too.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Jay-Gourmet-Pumpkin-Spice/dp/B07HNVGVRY

https://www.amazon.com/Whole-Wheat-Buttermilk-Pancake-Mix/dp/B075313K7R

https://www.amazon.com/Krusteaz-Pumpkin-Spice-Pancake-Pack/dp/B00HBJ27UO

https://www.amazon.com/Minerva-Dairy-Amish-Style-Butter/dp/B0006Q9568

After having cancer I eat a lot healthier than that phony chemical garbage, or as good as I can. with all these things going on with everyone’s health lately they seem to have a pill for everything. I think it’s the chemicals in our food that’s hurting us.

Just to show ya. Lot of folks like stihl ultra silver bottle the highest priced stuff I know of. It shows only FB. I wont touch the stuff myself by choice.

I have got alot of folks off that stuff here local. If I recall right even silver bottle poulan synthetic is FD

View attachment 870166
I got lot of folks off the stuff
yep you sure did

Back