2 cycle oil choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great info, thanks OP and all who are contributing.

I ran Stihl HP for years, along with a couple quarts of klotz that I found from dad's RC plane days. LOVED the smell of klotz, but it was $$$

Local dealer turned me toward Husqvarna HP+, so I bought a gallon. Some posts here have me doubting that decision now. I run mostly ported 2-series huskies mixed at 40:1.

Great info, thanks OP and all who are contributing.

I ran Stihl HP for years, along with a couple quarts of klotz that I found from dad's RC plane days. LOVED the smell of klotz, but it was $$$

Local dealer turned me toward Husqvarna HP+, so I bought a gallon. Some posts here have me doubting that decision now. I run mostly ported 2-series huskies mixed at 40:1.
I'd be fine running that if we had a dealer close by that I liked. The only one left close to me besides TSC gets out the price list and quotes you the msrp for everything in his store. I'll pass.

I fear I am opening a can of worms here but I really would like to know more. I recently switched to synthetic 2 cycle oil because I am a big believer in synthetic oil versus conventional oil being better and giving longer engine life. My big question is does brand really matter. I am using a “store” brand generic synthetic oil. I love Lucas oil products but it is literally twice the price. Does it really matter? When royal purple, Lucas oil, Sthil, husqvarna, and the like cost 50 to 100% more can you justify that quantitatively? What do they have that the generic synthetic 2 cycle oils don’t have? I am not trolling or looking for a fight. Can you really justify the extra cost? And if so what do you base your conclusion on?
Well does it really matter if it is synthetic or oil out of the ground, that is up to you , if it meets specs it should be fine
I use the old stuff , I like to see the smoke and smell the oil

I'd be fine running that if we had a dealer close by that I liked. The only one left close to me besides TSC gets out the price list and quotes you the msrp for everything in his store. I'll pass.

I am blessed to have an awesome dealer, who sells Husky and Stihl. They're honest, and the owner knows my new found husky addiction and he hooks me up with great deals on trade-in saws.

The saws I seen coming in were to dry IMHO. I like seeing a film coat when a saw is pulled down myself.
That's because of the 50:1 ratio being spewed out by all these manufacturers due to EPA blowing down their necks, I doubt it has anything to do with the oil. I run everything at 40:1 minimum. Anything less, no matter the oil, the bottom end is too dry for my liking on saws I took apart (especially the piston bearings, finding that area completely dry always cringed me out).

Look at Stihl manuals in Australia or South Africa, no EPA or anything so their recommended ratios for their 2 stroke tools are between 40:1 to 25:1!!! Why won't they stick to the 50:1 over there I wonder... Hmmm

edit: I see that even on their international site they recommend 25:1 if not their brand of oil. https://www.stihl.com/fuel-mix.aspx

That's because of the 50:1 ratio being spewed out by all these manufacturers due to EPA blowing down their necks, I doubt it has anything to do with the oil. I run everything at 40:1 minimum. Anything less, no matter the oil, the bottom end is too dry for my liking on saws I took apart (especially the piston bearings, finding that area completely dry always cringed me out).

Look at Stihl manuals in Australia or South Africa, no EPA or anything so their recommended ratios for their 2 stroke tools are between 40:1 to 25:1!!! Why won't they stick to the 50:1 over there I wonder... Hmmm

edit: I see that even on their international site they recommend 25:1 if not their brand of oil. https://www.stihl.com/fuel-mix.aspx
Well that does it i will mix some 32:1 for my stihl saws and tune them a touch fat so it 4 strokes out of the cut and cleans up in the wood. But no i got a old lawn boy that takes 32:1 and they will take care of not having different cans of mix around.

Did some reading on stihl hp ultra and according to product data it is a ashless ester product and this got me thinking if it is ashless it shouldn't be any different than outboard oil because TCW3 is a ashless oil in nature but jaso fb, fc, fd, are low ash oils.

1/2 ounce per gallon is what i mix at but i got a old mechanically injected compact tractor.
I was being facetious, although if you sent it to me I'd dump it all in the tank all at once. Old mechanical engine here as well, wouldn't do that on anything new with modern emissions and DPF stuff.

I was being facetious, although if you sent it to me I'd dump it all in the tank all at once. Old mechanical engine here as well, wouldn't do that on anything new with modern emissions and DPF stuff.
I would feel bad for the guy behind me after dumping a half gallon of ultra in my fuel tank. It sure would be a ripe smell burning plastic and diesel :laugh:.

A guy I work with as a Bobbed deuce and a half with the multi-fuel diesel. Apparently the local park ordered 50 gallons of lamp oil for the cabins at the one park, and didn't realize they ordered lavender scented oil. Being that those cabins are heated and the lights are all runoff that oil, the lavender smell was overwhelming. They gave him the remaining 40 or 45 gallons, and he said he ran that and his truck smelled like a hippie going down the road, LOL!

I would love to buy that truck, but can't swing it financially right now, plus the Mrs said NO!

Back on topic, Kevin recommended I run 32:1 in the saw he ported for me, but my dealer said it would be too thick for my newer saws and weedeaters. I didn't want two different mix cans, so I met in the middle and run near 40:1. What I do is fill one of those little 1 gallon mix bottles up all the way, and mix that with a gallon of 100LL. New they are maybe 2/3 full at the 2.6oz mark, so I figure I'm somewhere between 3.2-3.5oz. I should probably actually measure it so I know for sure what I'm running.

A guy I work with as a Bobbed deuce and a half with the multi-fuel diesel. Apparently the local park ordered 50 gallons of lamp oil for the cabins at the one park, and didn't realize they ordered lavender scented oil. Being that those cabins are heated and the lights are all runoff that oil, the lavender smell was overwhelming. They gave him the remaining 40 or 45 gallons, and he said he ran that and his truck smelled like a hippie going down the road, LOL!

I would love to buy that truck, but can't swing it financially right now, plus the Mrs said NO!

Back on topic, Kevin recommended I run 32:1 in the saw he ported for me, but my dealer said it would be too thick for my newer saws and weedeaters. I didn't want two different mix cans, so I met in the middle and run near 40:1. What I do is fill one of those little 1 gallon mix bottles up all the way, and mix that with a gallon of 100LL. New they are maybe 2/3 full at the 2.6oz mark, so I figure I'm somewhere between 3.2-3.5oz. I should probably actually measure it so I know for sure what I'm running.
Big man told me to run 32:1 in my ported saw and my non-ported auto-tune. Didn't specify a brand, so long as it was FC or better. If he says so, it is so.

Great score by your friend, 45 gallons of free fuel!

A couple years back my girlfriend and I were discussing the proliferation of pumpkin spice everything, and she bet I could find something pumpkin spice that I'd like. She was right, fuel scent! Supposed to make your exhaust smell fruity or whatever. Anyway, there was a pumpkin spice variety. A double dose in the tank and not a darned thing could be smelled out the exhaust, but to this day, two years and many many fillups later, if you stick your nose in the fuel filler of my truck, it still smells like pumpkin spice.

Your new stuff will run 32:1 just fine, just tune for your mix. Whatever you run, tune for your mix.

I would feel bad for the guy behind me after dumping a half gallon of ultra in my fuel tank. It sure would be a ripe smell burning plastic and diesel :laugh:.
I've burned all kinds of stuff in my truck. Usually the last couple ounces in the bottom of an oil can. Worst was 90w gear lube, will NOT do that again!

I've burned all kinds of stuff in my truck. Usually the last couple ounces in the bottom of an oil can. Worst was 90w gear lube, will NOT do that again!

I burned all kinds of stuff in my old VW non-TDI diesel Jetta. Used MO, WATF, etc. I think it ran better with a heavy dose of "fuel additive", LOL.

One day I'll have a 6bt in my F350, and I'll be able to use my fuel additives again ;)

Great score by your friend, 45 gallons of free fuel!

A couple years back my girlfriend and I were discussing the proliferation of pumpkin spice everything, and she bet I could find something pumpkin spice that I'd like. She was right, fuel scent! Supposed to make your exhaust smell fruity or whatever. Anyway, there was a pumpkin spice variety. A double dose in the tank and not a darned thing could be smelled out the exhaust, but to this day, two years and many many fillups later, if you stick your nose in the fuel filler of my truck, it still smells like pumpkin spice.

Your new stuff will run 32:1 just fine, just tune for your mix. Whatever you run, tune for your mix.

That's hilarious.

Thanks for the input on the mix.

Back