2 cycle oil choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't go wrong with Motul. 710 burns better and with less fumes IMHO, I run it at 32:1 I will say 710 doesn't smell as kool though.[emoji6]

Interested to try that. I'm pretty sure at the bike shop it was 800 or the cheap stuff for farm bikes and can't remember which number it was but definitely keen to give it a go.

Anyone else notice the awful stink of stihl oil?? Maybe if ya haven't then try a nice smelling oil and then ya will lol.

Motul even smells like strawberries if ya stuff ya nose in the bottle haha. Yes I'm a weirdo

i shoot for 40-1 but usually over pour landing closer to 38-1 using conventional 2 stroke oil. In the automotive world you learn that synthetic and synthetic blend oils do not fully burn and produce more carbon deposits that are very difficult to remove. Check out what happens when syn oil is used in a mazda rotary engine

i shoot for 40-1 but usually over pour landing closer to 38-1 using conventional 2 stroke oil. In the automotive world you learn that synthetic and synthetic blend oils do not fully burn and produce more carbon deposits that are very difficult to remove. Check out what happens when syn oil is used in a mazda rotary engine

Did anyone see the Amsoil string trimmer study from 2016? They ran eight two stroke trimmers (Echo SRM-225) for 300 hours each in a lab using a 50:1 mix of Saber and a 50:1 mix of Echo Power Blend. The notable thing after 300 hours wasn't the wear measured, but the carbon build up in exhaust ports and spark arrestor. Good pictures and a chart showing peak rpm decline at various hour intervals. You can find it uploaded at this link: http://wpc.1c96.edgecastcdn.net/001C96/G-Items/g3470-ECHO-50-to-1-Study-08-23-17/index.html

Did anyone see the Amsoil string trimmer study from 2016? They ran eight two stroke trimmers (Echo SRM-225) for 300 hours each in a lab using a 50:1 mix of Saber and a 50:1 mix of Echo Power Blend. The notable thing after 300 hours wasn't the wear measured, but the carbon build up in exhaust ports and spark arrestor. Good pictures and a chart showing peak rpm decline at various hour intervals. You can find it uploaded at this link: http://wpc.1c96.edgecastcdn.net/001C96/G-Items/g3470-ECHO-50-to-1-Study-08-23-17/index.html

I prefer trusting test that are not done by the oil manufacturer.

All their oil test they are the winner

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I prefer trusting test that are not done by the oil manufacturer.

All their oil test they are the winner

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Interested to try that. I'm pretty sure at the bike shop it was 800 or the cheap stuff for farm bikes and can't remember which number it was but definitely keen to give it a go.

Anyone else notice the awful stink of stihl oil?? Maybe if ya haven't then try a nice smelling oil and then ya will lol.

Motul even smells like strawberries if ya stuff ya nose in the bottle haha. Yes I'm a weirdo
It definitely doesn't smell pleasant, but it doesn't bother me or gives me any headaches or smelly clothes like I've heard people around here complain about. Surprising how Motul 800 and the Stihl Ultra smell so different, yet their base is synthesized from the same thing: wait for it.... PALM OIL :sweet:. Yap, that's why they're both biodegradable under special circumstances (although its modified so much chemically it has nothing to do with palm oil anymore, hence why it's catalogued as completely synthetic). I think the Motomix premixed gas from Stihl with the Ultra in it has a guaranteed shelf life of what, 10 years unopened?

I'm interested in trying some Mobil 1 Racing 2t, its still available here in eastern Europe, and its half the price of the Stihl/Motul. Couldn't find any info regarding its composition except very vague data. I know it burns clean, but how good is it in regards to wear protection compared to these top synthetic oils on the market everywhere? Does anyone know any reason why it was discontinued in the US? I remember talking to folks all over Florida and nobody had any for years, and some said it's the same all over US. Couldn't find it online over there either. I'm sold on the Ultra and Motul 710/800 after opening up saws with pristine top and bottom end (except some carbon on top of the piston but that's inevitable), so I don't really need to change anything but let's be honest, we can help it can't we? The continuous addiction of reading oil threads...

I still have a few quarts of Racing 2T left. Loved that stuff, very clean, smelled OK. Almost no dye in it, so a couple times the fuel can got a second dose just to be sure. Better to run 16:1 than 128:0. Still burned clean.

40:1 Trufuel makes my sinuses burn, I've considered 4 stroke Trufuel and adding my own Racing 2T.

Because of this thread I decided to finally have a look at my MS361 piston(just through the exhaust). I have never inspected or looked at this cylinder, first time I think I’ve even had the plug out. Well I think it speaks a lot for echo red armor. This saw has been fed nothing but 90 octane and echo red armor. In its very early days it may have ran echo gold, but I can’t tell you how many millions of board feet this saw has cut. I think it goes to show no matter which mix oil you buy, as long as it’s a high quality oil, whether it be husky, stihl, echo, motul, amsoil,..... there are more important things to worry about in a saw, like sharp chain, using good fuel, proper carb adjust, there are so many factors to a properly running saw. People in my parts are not gentle with their saws. They fail from other uses far before a questionable mix oil. It’s great to have choices, pick what works best for you and run her hard, and lay those trees down like a baby’s head on a pillow!

Attachments

• ED5C6835-F3DA-4011-869A-BC91BE9C8BFE.jpeg
    ED5C6835-F3DA-4011-869A-BC91BE9C8BFE.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
  • FC7D7824-1B89-44FB-9945-00B01EF2230F.jpeg
    FC7D7824-1B89-44FB-9945-00B01EF2230F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • 5AFEC15D-2DD6-45C0-BBC4-2E70337E998C.jpeg
    5AFEC15D-2DD6-45C0-BBC4-2E70337E998C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
Because of this thread I decided to finally have a look at my MS361 piston(just through the exhaust). I have never inspected or looked at this cylinder, first time I think I’ve even had the plug out. Well I think it speaks a lot for echo red armor. This saw has been fed nothing but 90 octane and echo red armor. In its very early days it may have ran echo gold, but I can’t tell you how many millions of board feet this saw has cut. I think it goes to show no matter which mix oil you buy, as long as it’s a high quality oil, whether it be husky, stihl, echo, motul, amsoil,..... there are more important things to worry about in a saw, like sharp chain, using good fuel, proper carb adjust, there are so many factors to a properly running saw. People in my parts are not gentle with their saws. They fail from other uses far before a questionable mix oil. It’s great to have choices, pick what works best for you and run her hard, and lay those trees down like a baby’s head on a pillow!
What ratio do you typically mix at? Things are looking good from what I can see in those pics.

I continue to hear positive things about Red Armor. It's pricey (at least around me) but seems to be a high performer.

What ratio do you typically mix at? Things are looking good from what I can see in those pics.

I continue to hear positive things about Red Armor. It's pricey (at least around me) but seems to be a high performer.
This saw has been around 50:1, maybe a little heavy, so 47:1, but you shouldn’t have any issues, the red armor here is affordable at the echo dealer, just wish they had gallon jugs. The top of the piston was clean too, very little if any buildup and the exhaust port was much better than I’ve seen from other saws. Affordable, convenient, and super performer, why switch.....

This saw has been around 50:1, maybe a little heavy, so 47:1, but you shouldn’t have any issues, the red armor here is affordable at the echo dealer, just wish they had gallon jugs. The top of the piston was clean too, very little if any buildup and the exhaust port was much better than I’ve seen from other saws. Affordable, convenient, and super performer, why switch.....
50:1 with a quality oil , your example pretty well sums it up . I had a ms361 ran 50:1 with Opti2 same results . I wouldn't change a thing !

Just because an oil isn't certified doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't pass certification or that it won't preform perfectly fine. The certification does however give you an assurance of performance.
I've been running Woodsman Pro for years without an issue. Lately though you can't get the 5 gallon mix bottles. I've been running the Poulan Synthetic from Wal-mart which also isn't certified, And the VP because they have it at my auto parts store

I've been running Woodsman Pro for years without an issue. Lately though you can't get the 5 gallon mix bottles. I've been running the Poulan Synthetic from Wal-mart which also isn't certified, And the VP because they have it at my auto parts store
Sabre is not actually certified either and its a quality product when mixed within reasonable ratios . Research what your buying within the product base component along with any additives and use it appropriately . Nothing wrong with your application as long as you use it within its design perimeters !

I bought a quart of it at my local auto parts store recently. Price was competitive with most of the other major brands I can get locally. Maybe 32:1 is a little too heavy to mix that stuff, smells like a burn barrel full of empty milk jugs and walmart grocery bags when you run it.

I fear I am opening a can of worms here but I really would like to know more. I recently switched to synthetic 2 cycle oil because I am a big believer in synthetic oil versus conventional oil being better and giving longer engine life. My big question is does brand really matter. I am using a “store” brand generic synthetic oil. I love Lucas oil products but it is literally twice the price. Does it really matter? When royal purple, Lucas oil, Sthil, husqvarna, and the like cost 50 to 100% more can you justify that quantitatively? What do they have that the generic synthetic 2 cycle oils don’t have? I am not trolling or looking for a fight. Can you really justify the extra cost? And if so what do you base your conclusion on?
I always wanted to know which company's manufacturer oils for others to be rebranded and sold.
For instance mobil one supplied the supertech Walmart brand
For many years
Now it's warren I believe.
And Napa oil is valvoline last I checked.
I absolutely hate stihl oils and xp
Causes me headaches
And have had issues with them.

Latest posts

Back