2 cycle oil choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after multiple comments to me on here I switched from orange stihl dino oil to a full synthetic made by schaffers..the viscosity difference in cool weather was huge being that the synthetic was much runnier and way easier to draw into my measuring syringe. I may switch back to the orange bottle during our 100 degree summers but I will use the synthetic in winter from now on. I also noticed a pretty good difference in the power the saw produced!

I switched to dominator.

My first gallon is supposed to be here today[emoji3526][emoji3526]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never had any trouble with "Stihl HP Ultra" full synthetic and I've not seen any evidence it is dirty or has problems.

Redbull661 put two gallons of Stihl mix through a 661 saw on a new piston and cylinder and then did the same for Husky, Echo and Tru-Fuel. No issues with the Stihl in the tear down:

Any of the top tier oils out there from Amsoil, Echo, Husky, Stihl, etc work great. Mix them accordingly and they should work well for you. Some oils are not intended to be mixed at heavy ratios as they may not burn well. For example, I run a synthetic oil in my dirt bike that is designed for a 32:1 mix.

I've never had any trouble with "Stihl HP Ultra" full synthetic and I've not seen any evidence it is dirty or has problems.

Redbull661 put two gallons of Stihl mix through a 661 saw on a new piston and cylinder and then did the same for Husky, Echo and Tru-Fuel. No issues with the Stihl in the tear down:

Any of the top tier oils out there from Amsoil, Echo, Husky, Stihl, etc work great. Mix them accordingly and they should work well for you. Some oils are not intended to be mixed at heavy ratios as they may not burn well. For example, I run a synthetic oil in my dirt bike that is designed for a 32:1 mix.

Two gallons is pretty insignificant. And I dont believe Ultra is used in moto mix.

Two gallons is pretty insignificant. And I dont believe Ultra is used in moto mix.
It is insignificant-depending on what you're looking for that is. No one outside of a lab setting is going to run new saws for 500 hours on various formulations to check for predictive patterns.

I see posts online where people say they ran a tank of "XYZ oil" and it was dirty, smoky, ran poorly and clogged their saw, blah blah blah. I think 2 gallons is enough to illustrate that Stihl is capable of producing fuel that isn't a total disaster.

Whether they blend the motomix with the same oil formulation that's available in Stihl Ultra HP I can't say.

People treat oil like a religion when the truth of the matter is that mixing the correct ratio with fresh fuel goes a lot further to giving you years of service rather than the specific brand (among top tier oils). Sure, bargain basement 2T oils are to be avoided, but the top brands all work fine.

It is insignificant-depending on what you're looking for that is. No one outside of a lab setting is going to run new saws for 500 hours on various formulations to check for predictive patterns.

I see posts online where people say they ran a tank of "XYZ oil" and it was dirty, smoky, ran poorly and clogged their saw, blah blah blah. I think 2 gallons is enough to illustrate that Stihl is capable of producing fuel that isn't a total disaster.

Whether they blend the motomix with the same oil formulation that's available in Stihl Ultra HP I can't say.

People treat oil like a religion when the truth of the matter is that mixing the correct ratio with fresh fuel goes a lot further to giving you years of service rather than the specific brand (among top tier oils). Sure, bargain basement 2T oils are to be avoided, but the top brands all work fine.
Your right. Most people observations are anecdotal at best.
I just checked motomix does indeed contain Ultra.
You can doubt my comments on Ultra if you like, but keep in mind that it is rated JASO FB, which is a standard from the 80's. The JASO tests are actual tests, not a back yard trial.
JASO FD oils are light years better and formulated very differently.
Which is why you cant go wrong with an actually certified FD oil.
In regards to your last comment. I completely agree. In fact guys in search of the best running eater oils often dont consider the fact that such oils provide almost no corrosion protection and when combined with ethanol fuel contribute to even more issues like phase separation and corrosion.

What kind of electrons do y'all run in your battery saws? Coal fired electrons give me the most fizz, nuclear is tops for solid quiet power, hydro works fine, but I can't stand solar and wind. Too much solar and wind and my saw starts growing a man bun and craving craft brewed bar oil, and will only cut free range trees. Luckily that's not much of a problem, as the availability is low.

Back