2 cycle oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husqvarna oil works the best for me. If I run out and am desperate I use whatever I can get. Then as soon as I get husky oil I dump my can and put new in.

I only use optimal, works on all mixes. I have tried others. I have one can for all of my 2-cycle stuff.

Jeff

the only oil i tell people NOT to use says quakerstate on the bottle. weather it's motor oil or the 2 stroke stuff, it's absolute crap.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm........ I've never run out!
I buy the Stihl "dino" (orange bottle) stuff in the six-pack and mix 2.5 gallons at a time. When I'm down to a couple bottles I just pick up another six-pack, so I always have at least enough oil for a 5-gallon back-up supply... never less than two bottles on the shelf. Really, since I live in-the-sticks I rarely "run out" of anything... the closest store of any sort is over 5-miles away so we've learned to keep extra everything on hand. I just hate it when I'm in the middle of something and I have to "go to town" because I don't have what I need... just screws-up the whole day!

Stihl Ultra or husky XP only. The stihl ultra is a full synthetic and the husky xp is a semi synthetic .Here is a link to alot of good saw info , for oil scroll down to oil mix . Fuel for Pro Saws

I have never had a saw break down because of oil no matter what kind I have used. I use Baileys syn. Last case I bought wa $30 for 24 bottles of mix. They make 2.5 gallon at 50.1. I use them to make 2 gallon to run a little richer because my saw is ported. I don't understand spending a ton of money on the big brands of oil. I bet you could buy a new saw with the price difference of the oil before you could wear a saw out using cheaper oil.

Scott

I have 8-10 bottles of Husky Low Smoke on the shelf. A bottle almost always finds its way into my cart at TSC.

Now while we are on the oil subject what fuel is everyone using?

I use premium on all my saws, a little sea foam added every 10 tanks or so to keep the carbs/engine clean.
Just a cap full with one regular mix.
Seems to do a nice cleanup, starts on pull 1 or 2 right after that tank, the saw runs with less vibration and more power for the next 5 tanks.

Works wonders on old dog saws.
Things that just never want to start or run in dog mode come back to almost new saw mode.

Last edited:
Ipone strawberry scented synthetic 2 stroke oil. Ebay has it.
Pricey, but prolly the best 2 stroke oil you can buy.
I also use Polaris VES Gold too, great oil, great smell.
Why anyone would not use an oil that does a good job AND smells "good" is beyond me.
The Klotz is good, but doesn't smell as good as the Ipone or Poo VES gold.

I keep a 1 gallon mix bottle, and a 2.5 gallon bottle on hand to measure out what I need.

Oldtimer , are you kidding? I love the smell of 2stroke smoke in the morning! That fufu juice smelling :Dstuff will make sissies out of your chainsaws.

I've seen this happen so many times (and on so many forums), not just relating to 2-stroke oil but any kind of engine oil: the debates eventually devolve down to an emotional level rather than a scientific and technical debate with heavy duty facts and figures and testing procedures.

Motorcycle oil is a good example. Some years ago, Motul oil was designed to provide a good profit margin for dealers. I could never understand (in Australia) why the dealers pushed Motul so hard over other equivalent oils. It didn't matter where you went, dealers loved Motul oil.

This in turn builds a semi-religious aura to the product when men who ride bikes, chin-wag over beer, which at some point in time brings up the discussion of the best oil to use in your sports bike.
As dealers aggressively push Motul oil into the market place it becomes logical that a reasonable group of people in the chin-wag discussion will mention their preference for Motul (as they have it in their bike) and the general consensus becomes that of Motul oil is the best, because everyone seems to use it.

Whether it's Motul oil or another brand of oil, be it 2-stroke or 4-stroke, the marketing guys and the power of psychology are powerful moving force when logic is thrown out the window and replaced with an emotional attachment to a product.

At the end of the day, many brands of oil are all made in the same factory and from the same refinery base stock, some having a few tweaks here and there to the formulation.
It pays to find out where the product was packaged and to then talk to the chemical engineers at the factory. Unfortunately this notion clashes with the idea of putting logic and rational force over and above the power of an emotional tangent.

Oldtimer , are you kidding? I love the smell of 2stroke smoke in the morning! That fufu juice smelling :Dstuff will make sissies out of your chainsaws.

The polaris VES Gold smells like a mix of bubblegum and cotton candy. The regular off the shelf oils give me a headache after a day of it. Plus, the wife prefers the stink of the VES Gold over the burnt dump rat smell of regular oil.

Good info in that artical I never even thought about this.
"When you purchase fuel, don't buy it from a filling station that permits different blends to be dispensed from the same hose. Even if you are careful to buy only E10 fuel, you have no control over what fuel is left in the hose from a prior customer. If the customer before you purchased E85 and you are filling a small container, you may get fuel with more ethanol that you realize."

From now on I will purge the hose into my truck gas tank before filling the 2 gal. can.

Good info in that artical I never even thought about this.
"When you purchase fuel, don't buy it from a filling station that permits different blends to be dispensed from the same hose. Even if you are careful to buy only E10 fuel, you have no control over what fuel is left in the hose from a prior customer. If the customer before you purchased E85 and you are filling a small container, you may get fuel with more ethanol that you realize."

From now on I will purge the hose into my truck gas tank before filling the 2 gal. can.

Where I am E85 has its own special pumps (Ethanol will kill a standard pump)E10 or 15 is the highest to worry about in a standard pump :msp_mad:

I only use Stihl HP Ultra.
I ran out one time and ran about 1/2 tank of other stuff,
The saw sounded like somthing was different, I stop cutting drove 75 miles to town bought a 6 pack of HP Ultra, drove 75 miles back.

Soon as I got back to work I dumped the tank and filled with the stihl oil mix back to normal. Now I buy 2 or 3 six packs at a time and everytime I get to town I pick more up. If I cant find the ultra I buy the orange bottle but always look for the ultra.

I hate to say it but, when I first bought this saw I had a few issues,
now a few years later Im digging the saw and only want the best.

I've used Amsoil Saber for 4 years now and no problems. I honestly don't care except some oil smells real bad and some don't seem to smoke much at all. Amsoil hardly smokes.

Back