2 Feet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbow388

Off The Air BEEEEEEEEP
Reaction score
I had installed my wood stove in the fall with a through the ceiling kit.

stove_2.jpg

Never having a stove before I really didn't know what to expect. Had to open windows several times.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Well after a lot of reading i knew that I needed to add 2 more feet to my chimney to get it to draft better. I had 12' from the bottom of the stove to the top of the pipe outside. I read after install that you needed a minimum of 13'.

This weekend I finally got around to getting the other 2' of pipe and getting it put up.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE 2' MADE.

Seems like I have much better draft. I can turn the air down lower or completely off and my glass isn't smoking up as bad or as quick. Also much easier to build a fire from a cleaned out stove.

I got this done almost just in time for our winter here to end!!

Dont know if this will help you out, but you also want your chimney taller than the peak of your roof for optimum draft.

I have the same issue with my shop stove that I installed a couple months ago. Mine needs anothe r2' too. I'm cheap though so I'm waiting for the pipe to go on sale before I buy it. Likely used $200 extra in wood already though. Didn't say I was smart , I said I was cheap.

Dont know if this will help you out, but you also want your chimney taller than the peak of your roof for optimum draft.

Not exactly...it has to be 2' taller then the highest point of the roof within 10'. So the pitch of the roof determines how much stack you need.

This explains it better then I could:
Wood Stove Troubleshooting

My roof is a 10/12 pitch and the flue comes through about 4' off the edge. I did some measuring and came up with a minimum 5' of stack above the roof which is what I have. If I had to get 2' above the peak it would require 10 more feet or so of class A SS flue...not cheap and would require guide wires. Anyway, my draft is so good it has pulled the door to the stove shut a few times when re-loading & leaving it cracked a half inch or so. Every roof is different and sometimes that minimum is not enough. Prevailing winds, trees and other obstacles nearby can create a void which is negative pressure which equal poor draft and or smoke out the stove door when open.

Glad you posted this thread, I have a short chimney too, but it is more than 2' above the roof 10' away. I've thought for a long time that I need more added to mine, at least 2' will make a lot of difference in the draw. At what height above the exit through the roof do I need to add guy wires? Another question I have, how do I find out the brand of chimney I have so I can match it, are they marked somewhere or do I need to dismantle it to find the brand? Maybe I just need to Google.:msp_rolleyes:

They also make a draft inducer that mounts to the chimney and puts a vacuum on the chimney until the heat creates a draft.

Well, stopped at TSC today and the pipe was on sale. Before and after pictures. I need to put a brace on it but was too lazy today.
View attachment 282917View attachment 282918

Ps, I threw some crap in the stove just to make it smoke, it really wasn't that bad. But it did make a difference in the smoke output and the heat output. I hardly used any wood all afternoon. Look at the shine on that new pipe.

Yeah, your chimney was way short in the first photo. I started with the 2' above the roof 10' away rule and never had a problem with draft. We noticed a slight amount of smoke smell coming in around the down wind side windows. I raised the chimney another 2' and it solved the problem. I think the smoke was clinging to the house on some days.

Cantoo, good deal glad you got yours fixed.

I have not made any Shine...yet. For some reason there seems to be an abundant supply around here;)

Latest posts

Back