2 firewood questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i recently removed a large mimosa (silk tree) and a ponderosa pine and I would like to burn the wood.

Question 1: the mimosa wood is very hard and dense, like oak, but does anyone know if its okay to burn?

Question 2: the pine wood has started growing a little mold, like some yellow and black surface mold, but its in a pretty dry location. Is it still okay to burn? Should I cut off the mold?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I have little experience burning wood. Thanks!

Sizzle-Chest said:
i recently removed a large mimosa (silk tree) and a ponderosa pine and I would like to burn the wood.

Question 1: the mimosa wood is very hard and dense, like oak, but does anyone know if its okay to burn?

Question 2: the pine wood has started growing a little mold, like some yellow and black surface mold, but its in a pretty dry location. Is it still okay to burn? Should I cut off the mold?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I have little experience burning wood. Thanks!

Hi,

You say that you recently removed these trees; how long ago were they split? You have to make sure that they are seasoned (dry) enough to burn this Fall/Winter, around 20% moisture. I've burned Mimosa before; it burns okay, a little fast, but it is burnable. If I had to rate it from 0-10 I'd give it a 7.5. As far as the mold goes, it's still okay to burn. I scrape as much of mold and other fungus off as I can with a putty knife, but that's just me. Mostly, I'd be concerned if it is dry enough to burn-see if any stove shops and/or firewood dealers near you have a moisture meter to check how dry it is. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back