2-man saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mall 7

attachment.php

attachment.php

Haven't made any attempts to try and start it. One of the local saw shops has a smaller Mall 2-man with a 3 ft. bar and a Homelite Super 77 with about a 5ft bar aon display. Another shop has a Mac 12-25 sitting the back that belong to one of the owners sons. And on CL I found a Mac 5-49, "Runs, but needs carb work. Make offer."

I have run into some people that feel that if someone is interested, it must have value. Therefore:
1. any offer I get is too low
2. This buyer is trying to take advantage of me
3. If I keep it longer it will be worth more
4. I am going to fix it up someday.

Not to mention the sentimental value of things. I have things that I would not sell because Dad gave them to me, belonged to a relative, or promised to a son, daughter, or grandchild.

Still I hate to see something rot away that will only be sold at the estate sale.

Bob

That says it all Bob. I've ran into that exact thought process in several owners of old equipment..........including old trucks, chainsaws, tractors, and stationary engines...:censored:

I just got back from looking at a few 2 man saws. They are listed on the New Orleans CL and please PM me before you make any promise to buy these sight unseen. A smart man only needs a hint.............

I have a very good friend who used to run the helper end of this saw as a boy. He has always mentioned that he thought it was still down at the farm, but was unsure. This weekend he went looking for it and found it in a shed that is falling down. If it is available from his brother (for reasons already explained here for a possible "no sale") him and I are going to make it a runner for him.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Literally a barn find still in the barn. Gets your blood going, doesn't it?

Hell yes! I get that "blood pumping" feeling watching American Pickers on the History Channel too. Of course, I also feel extreme frustration and iritation with those two idiots sometimes............simply because they go ape-poo over (and spend tons of camera time on) the oddest stuff.......while ignoring the things I'm interested in (and quickly moving the camera away from said things).

I've seen those yahoos actualy CLIMB OVER old chainsaws, engines, tractors, and such to get to a crusty/rusty old lamp (or something else stupid). In one episode, I could clearly see the bar/chain and helper handle from a 2-man saw pointing skyward (leaning against something), with the powerhead obviously still attached and on the floor (but obscured by debris). Saw Mike grab the stinger and push the bar to the side so he could get to some obscure junk. A few other times I've seen stationary engines (such as a big International power unit that was belted to some huge machine in a lady's shop), and old Homelite and Mac chainsaws that they've quickly panned past or stepped over...:dizzy:

Saw those guys buy a Chilton chainsaw sign. They mentioned "we always do well with chainsaw items". Got my wife to calm down about some of my purchases for a day or two.
I know how you feel about the BS lamps and crap I wouldn't look at them for a second, but they think it is worth big money. At the end of the "pick" they always use "valued" numbers and very rarely mention what it actually sold for.

Nice looking saw Grizzlyadams!

Thanks. In showing this to saw to people, one older fellow who lives not that far from me says he still has several 1-man Mall chainsaws yet. He says he stopped using them years ago, and I don't know if he wants to sell them, but he might want to see if they still run. So I'll see were this leads.

Eccentirc and Kingsley, I couldn't agree more. I like to watch that show because of some of the neat old things they find or see, but it's frustrating hearing them talk about how they "made such a great (sometimes really low) offer" and then yuk it up about the "big profit" they make. I would go back and give them a little more money if something was worth more. They probably don't like dealing with chainsaws/engines/tractors, etc. because they couldn't sell it to some "trendy retro" yahoo with more money than brains who would glady pay through the nose for some old obscure thing to put on their shelf and brag about and probaly not use. If something were still usuable, I would use it. Sorry about the rant, I'll get off the soapbox now.

Last edited:
Hell yes! I get that "blood pumping" feeling watching American Pickers on the History Channel too. Of course, I also feel extreme frustration and iritation with those two idiots sometimes............simply because they go ape-poo over (and spend tons of camera time on) the oddest stuff.......while ignoring the things I'm interested in (and quickly moving the camera away from said things).

I've seen those yahoos actualy CLIMB OVER old chainsaws, engines, tractors, and such to get to a crusty/rusty old lamp (or something else stupid). In one episode, I could clearly see the bar/chain and helper handle from a 2-man saw pointing skyward (leaning against something), with the powerhead obviously still attached and on the floor (but obscured by debris). Saw Mike grab the stinger and push the bar to the side so he could get to some obscure junk. A few other times I've seen stationary engines (such as a big International power unit that was belted to some huge machine in a lady's shop), and old Homelite and Mac chainsaws that they've quickly panned past or stepped over...:dizzy:

I don't watch those to homo's anymore. I just get mad watching that show. They find so much cool crap then pas everything for a phone or something :bang:

I don't watch those to homo's anymore. I just get mad watching that show. They find so much cool crap then pas everything for a phone or something :bang:

A show like that will never please everyone. There's probably someone on some other forum #####ing about people climbing over a cool old lamp just to grab a dirty, junky old chainsaw...

Thanks. In showing this to saw to people, one older fellow who lives not that far from me says he still has several 1-man Mall chainsaws yet. He says he stopped using them years ago, and I don't know if he wants to sell them, but he might want to see if they still run. So I'll see were this leads.
That is one of the best way to get leads on older saws.
Has worked a few times for us.

I like explaining the history of saws to people, from 2 mans, to bowsaws, to ported saws turning 19K

May have found a 2 man or 2 today :)

Back to the top!

So, who can tell me where to set the carb on the Mall 7. Had it running on prime, but wouldnt pull gas through the carb.

And how many times do you need to press the ticker?

Back to the top!

So, who can tell me where to set the carb on the Mall 7. Had it running on prime, but wouldnt pull gas through the carb.

And how many times do you need to press the ticker?

no filters on that so easy to plug the carb.

also good to pull top off tank and clean out.

I run them with a squirt can. Rev it up with squirt can and cover venturi with hand while reved to choke it and maybe pull junk through.

if it still wont pull gas then take it apart.

do you have the book?

pm if you dont

Checked the tank, its pretty clean, and made sure the lines were good.

Dad cleaned the carb, float is OK, and ran small parts through ultrasonic.

PMing you Mr Saw Bones!

Saw refuses to run now? :confused:

Need to know where to set the carb. All the way in and 1&1/2 out?

Gonna pull the flywheel Monday and clean the points to make sure.

And you hold the Ticker till it comes out of the hole right?

IGPOE, I will pay more attention next time I see you start your saws :bowdown: :)

Saw refuses to run now? :confused:

Need to know where to set the carb. All the way in and 1&1/2 out?

Gonna pull the flywheel Monday and clean the points to make sure.

And you hold the Ticker till it comes out of the hole right?

IGPOE, I will pay more attention next time I see you start your saws :bowdown: :)

Mercury DA-211 rules the roost boy.

Back