2 new woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AIM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just got started on my cutting this year and ran into a couple trees that I have never burned before. Sycamore and red maple. There are large amounts of both that are already down. I would venture a guess of 10 - 12 truckloads between all the trees. I cut up some of the smaller branches of the red maple and made one truck load that I'll try.
Has anyone burned much of either. Do they season quickly? do they get punky quickly. Btu wise they both are kinda low but still quite good enough for burning on a regular basis.

The sycamore is down but soppin wet when I cut into it. I hope this wood works out half decent because there are huge amounts of it.

I've never burned any Scyamore but I burn Red maple every year. it Should season rather quickly and burns nice. If they're not split then tend to wrought from the inside out on the larger pieces.

Sycamore is almost as low as Buckeye on my list of firewood. It is the same weight as cast iron wet and and close to popcorn dry. Note: It WILL NOT burn unless dry. Lets see what else? oh ya, splits hard, burns quickly, smoke stinks and will make more ashes than you ever dreamed possible. All that being said I burn a bit of it because my farm is laiden with Sycamores. I mix it with other wood in temperate weather.

I just got started on my cutting this year and ran into a couple trees that I have never burned before. Sycamore and red maple. There are large amounts of both that are already down. I would venture a guess of 10 - 12 truckloads between all the trees. I cut up some of the smaller branches of the red maple and made one truck load that I'll try.
Has anyone burned much of either. Do they season quickly? do they get punky quickly. Btu wise they both are kinda low but still quite good enough for burning on a regular basis.

The sycamore is down but soppin wet when I cut into it. I hope this wood works out half decent because there are huge amounts of it.

was about to ask the same question, execpt I have come across some alder and sycamore. it's free so will be taking all I can get, but sounds like the sycamore ain't ideal, any input on the alder?

I think Sycamore makes great Spring and Fall wood...It can be a pain to handle green as well as split, but it burns great once seasoned...

I cut some live silver maple last year and after a mere 2 months the stuff was burning great. I hope the red is the same way.
The ends were checked on the pieces I cut within 2 days.

I cut some live silver maple last year and after a mere 2 months the stuff was burning great. I hope the red is the same way.
The ends were checked on the pieces I cut within 2 days.

Red maple is probably the wood I burn the most of. I like to give it a minimum of 6 months. 12 is better. Though I have burnt red maple with only 4 months in the past.

In reference to the sycamore, hope you own a gas splitter.if your swinging a maul on that stuff you"ll be expanding your vocabulary.

So the reviews on sycamore is poor. Guess what, Alder is even worse!!!

Is Gods joke for firewood. It is so poor it has to look up to see bottom!!

It does beat nothing but the question is by how much.

Wow!

Great thread man" I have learned allot by reading the replies from the other members. Myself, when it comes to Maple, i get lost. Silver,i think is what i call soft. Sugar, i think is what i call hard. Red, i think is the one i call hard with red leafs on it in the spring and fall. LOL Like i said,I'm lost. All i know is it all burns good and season fast. 3 to 4 months and your ready to go,if kept dry" Sycamore? An Arborist that i know gave me some and i thought it was a decent wood. IT was all branch sized and i didn't have to split it. I got it in midsomer and burnt it that fall. Let us all know how it works out. Take care and be safe!!!!

Back