2 speed logsplitter pump?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac900tc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A while ago I remember reading somewhere about a 2-speed type splitter pump. Under no load it would deliver higher gpm for ram runback , and when splitting it would close a port or something to slow speed and increase power. Has anyone used one, or know where to get them? Opinions, testimonials? thanks

they are pretty standard on almost all commercially made splitters.

one way to tell is look at the horsepower, and compare to the GPM.

if the GPM is higher then the horsepower, it has a speed pump.

TSC stores around here have a couple models of 2 stage pumps on the shelf, I think about 169$ to about 200$. I use one on a thd wisconsin engine, 18hp, and its great I only run the thing at about 2000rpm, I've had it forever so I can't remember the gpm, my brother runs a 5hp electric motor on a 16/3 or so gpm and it works great. These pumps are both the haldix/barnes type. I use double roller chain and sprockets for direct drive on mine, brothers is lovejoy coupling.

Is it simply a matter of pulling one and replacing with the two stage?

usually. does the output of the engine come out the side, or the bottom of the engine?

there CAN be differences between the shafts on the pump, which means you have to buy a part or 3 to hook it up to the engine.

there can also be differences between how the pumps bolt on. measure the distance between the bolts that hold the pump on to the adaptor plate, then you can compare them to the pump you are considering replacing it with.

Upgrade in order

My splitter is an old homemade unit that I bought and rebuilt. I reused the pump, valve, tank and ram. I built a new frame and axle, installed 16" rims and tires, replaced the 5hp horizontal engine w a 12hp vertical. It has the power to split about anything.(22" knotty oak no prob.) The cycle time could be better though. I was checking those pumps out on the northern site, and I think I'm going to get the 16gpm pump. Looks like it will be a bolt on. I read the reviews on it, and most said it made their old splitters like new again and increased speed.

2 stage replacement

Any of you splitter guru's able to help me find out what pump and gpm I already have so I can get a 2 stage replacement. The only tag on my pump reads john s barnes 11395 7170936.

cheapest place i found 2 stage pumps was northern tool online with fast shipping.

Last edited:
what size is your cylinder on the spliter that will tell you what size pump you should replace it with. the bigger the cylinder the larger pump need. the larger the pump and cylinder the larger the engine you will need. the engine you have now should run the largest 2 stage pump you can buy. the bigger pump you have the faster cycle times you will have on cylinder. also how strong is your splitter if its not strong enough the only concern you may have is breaking it with the largest 2 stage pump. if your cylinder is a 4 inch inside diameter a 22 gpm or 28 gpm should work fine. they also sell kits to adapt the pump to fit most any motor they are easy to install also.

splitter specs

It's got a 6.5 brigs and never really bogs down...just abysmally slow. It's either a 25 or 27 ton, 5" cylinder, not to sure off the top of my head. I was looking to match the 2nd stage with something close to what I have now.

if you look on northern tool they give a spec on gpm verses hp of engine but 28 gpm i think is too much for a 6.5 hp engine. i bought a 16 gpm and have it installed on a 5 hp briggs kind of wish i would have went with a 22 gpm that way i have more splitting power.:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
They reccomend at least 8hp for the 16gpm pump, and I think 12 or 16 for the 22gpm pump. I think the 22gpm would be WAY to much for the 5hp engine!

gpm/ hp

if you look on northern tool they give a spec on gpm verses hp of engine but 28 gpm i think is too much for a 6.5 hp engine. i bought a 16 gpm and have it installed on a 5 hp briggs kind of wish i would have went with a 22 gpm that way i have more splitting power.:greenchainsaw:

You need a minimum of 1/2 hp per gallon, 16 gpm needs atleast a 8 horse, 22 gpm 11 hp, 28gpm 14 hp,. etc,.. I like to go a little bigger engine on any said pump so the engine is not laboring hard , you will be happier (and so will the little motor) IF you run a 16 gpm pump with a 10 hp,.. a 22gpm with a 12/14 hp and a 28gpm with a 16/18 hp, And down the road when they start losing there rated output you will still have enough power to run the pump, E J

A while ago I remember reading somewhere about a 2-speed type splitter pump. Under no load it would deliver higher gpm for ram runback , and when splitting it would close a port or something to slow speed and increase power. Has anyone used one, or know where to get them? Opinions, testimonials? thanks

Oh yeah they work great! Its called 2 stage btw. I thought most factory built splitters came with them but I could be wrong? I have a Brave 5hp 20ton that works great I have no idea what ghp etc is? I have had it quite awhile and it is a little slow maybe compared to some but I am happy with it. hth

Kansas

Latest posts

Back