2-Stroke Mix Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl oil, silver bottles, notes it Biodegradable.
That's a big turn off for me. I don't feel a oil should be Biodegradable or have a shelf life.
It would make me wonder if that gas is still safe if it sits for anytime.
I can't even figure out why they would do such a thing since I don't think they have many Environmental people in the chainsaw industry.
Yeah...I don't get it either. 1/50th of what you are burning is bio-based (well...technically, oil is bio-based too, right? - but you know what I mean!). The rest is gasoline. Plus it is getting burned up...once it is carbon and smoke, I don't think it matters if it came from a plant that was alive this year or a long time ago.

It does make some sense for bar oil. That isn't getting burned up, but flung all over the yard/woods. I've been using straight Canola for about 5+ years now. Probably not a big deal, but Canola works great and is just a touch cheaper too, so that is what I use.

My new 80’s husky saws lasted over three decades if I remember. They were 40:1 but I ran them 38:1 on husky two stroke oil. With the carbs adjusted spot on they never fouled a plug. There’s winter adjustments and summer adjustments on the low speed screw. Older saws. I run the newer 50:1 saws at 38:1 too using XP+p husky oil.

Your thoughts?

Thank God for a new thread topic!

Screenshot-20200217-080849.png

Lol....and the perfect oil or ratio still isn’t known
That's something that we should be able to test.
Not by asking who owns the most burned up cylinders, but by measuring the temperature for example. Theory being, more wear equals more temperature.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Not by asking who owns the most burned up cylinders, but by measuring the temperature for example. Theory being, more wear equals more temperature.

Its been done here but there are too many variables for consistent results.

Just like there isnt one perfect wife for everyone out there, but every husband has the perfect wife. ;)

I've bought a couple of smaller saws in recent times both the owners manuals recommends using an FC or FD rated oil at 50:1 there's no mention of it needing to be synthetic or otherwise.
As a relative beginner I thought it was reasonable to just buy a decent quality FC/FD rated 2 stroke motorbike oil from a reputable company like Castrol and run it at 40:1 just for a bit of insurance and be done.
Seems I may have over simplified it, what am I missing ?

I've bought a couple of smaller saws in recent times both the owners manuals recommends using an FC or FD rated oil at 50:1 there's no mention of it needing to be synthetic or otherwise.
As a relative beginner I thought it was reasonable to just buy a decent quality FC/FD rated 2 stroke motorbike oil from a reputable company like Castrol and run it at 40:1 just for a bit of insurance and be done.
Seems I may have over simplified it, what am I missing ?

That's pretty much where I wound up before I switched to Trufuel.

Just like oil for the car or truck. I used to look for the bestest super dee duper motor oil to run, spend hours poring over wear charts and UOA and researching on BITOG and comparing manufacturers to see whose oil is really whose. I realized everyone has their favorite oil and basically it's all based on "I tried this oil and my engine didn't immediately blow up." Guess what? They ALL say that, and they're all correct about it. Then I also realized I've taken multiple vehicles north of 250k miles and never had an oil related failure, it was never the engine that made me move on to another vehicle. On this basis, I stopped caring. I run what the manual specs, change it when the manual specs, buy whatever major brand oil is cheapest when I need oil, and spend my lifespan on other things.

Honestly, smell turned out to be the biggest factor in buying two stroke oil. MX2T / Racing 2T was fantastic, and I still have several quarts stashed in case I ever go back to mixing my own. There were a couple oils that smelled like burning plastic, which I tried to avoid, but don't remember what they are now. Trufuel doesn't smell terrible, but does make my nose run and sinuses feel funky for a day or two after a day in the woods. I'd consider buying the 4 stroke Trufuel and mixing in my own two stroke oil, but that would eliminate 90% of my reason for using Trufuel.

An "oil thread" is a classic joke on this forum. Everyone's got an opinion, and rarely is anyone convinced to change theirs.

That said, personally I think the silver bottle Stihl oil makes for exhaust that smells totally noxious to me. Many people complain of headaches from using it. I haven't experienced that, but the smell alone is enough for me to never use it again. Occasionally I end up with some, and I always give it away.

My preference is for yamalube 2r or Schaeffer's 7000, but I'd happily use Amsoil Saber, echo Red Armor, or a few other brands. I mix at 40:1.

I actually switched from Silver bottle Stihl mix to Belray H1R becuase of an 'oil thread'. Well, that oil thread mentioned it and while searching as many of them I could, I found a video by Hotsaws101 that mentioned H1R is probably the best option for guys who aren't running souped up saws and even some that are.....and he has put a LOT of hours on saws.

So I bought some and have been using it. Took a bit to get used to the smell(I actually like the Stihl Ultra smell). I didn't like H1R smell at first, but I do now. Seems to leave a heavier coat of oil on internals than Stihl silver bottle did...

Then after the first couple gallons of trying to mix it 50:1, which is like 2.6oz or something per gallon...I just decided to do 3oz/gallon because that's easier to measure, which makes it like 43:1 or something like that. Good enough for me. I haven't noticed any significant differences in my Mtronic saws at 43:1 vs 50:1 as far as power, RPM's, or otherwise.

That's me too. How do you get it for cheap?
25 bucks for a case of six qts. Like I said still expensive. I got to get a price for a case of gallon cans from him.
For the weedwackers and blowers and junk my wife runs I just mix her a jug of stihl mix.

25 bucks for a case of six qts. Like I said still expensive. I got to get a price for a case of gallon cans from him.
For the weedwackers and blowers and junk my wife runs I just mix her a jug of stihl mix.
I understand completely what many of you are saying: choose a quality oil and run it. I get it.......

Trust me, I have had a LOT of experience with oils in ATVs', and I have settled on Shell RotellaT. Why? Because it's "good" oil, and it's cheap.

I do have a concern with the statement that was made above by brownthumb.
The junk stuff his wife runs, just mix her a jug of Stihl oil.

Is Stihl oil no good?

I understand completely what many of you are saying: choose a quality oil and run it. I get it.......

Trust me, I have had a LOT of experience with oils in ATVs', and I have settled on Shell RotellaT. Why? Because it's "good" oil, and it's cheap.

I do have a concern with the statement that was made above by brownthumb.
The junk stuff his wife runs, just mix her a jug of Stihl oil.

Is Stihl oil no good?
I can’t say it’s junk, I just chug some in the container and tell her to slosh it around.
Sometimes they smoke a lot sometimes they don’t.

I go with the manufacturers suggested oil brand. Husky XP+ oil for husky saws. Again at 38:1 mix. I use in husky and Stihl.

But in anything with a castiron or steel sleeve cylinder it’s maximum 927 synthetic Castor blend.

There’s a few scored cylinders on you tube with farmtech saws. The wrong ratio mix was used. Some of there saws require 25:1 ration. Try 40:1 and higher they seeze.

I been using Mobil delvac 15/40wt oil in all my tractors. I contacted Mobil engineering over the label being changed from heavy duty gas and diesel application to diesel apps no mention of gas engines. That’s another post.

If a Home Depot is close by, Red Armor. Of a completely unsubstantiated subjective sense, my Stihl blower has never ran better.I don't know if the Stihl Ultra at 40:1 I ran previously was an optimum ratio,but it definitely revs better, runs smoother.

Back