2-Stroke Mix Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolmaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
For as long as I have had 2-stroke engines they have all been Stihl.
I have always run Stihl mix oil just because I wanted to keep everything the same, and I assume Stihl has the correct oil recipe for their products.

Someone has recently mentioned to me to use a "good quality" oil in my gas.

Your thoughts?

Is there better than Stihl?

What is the best and why?

I dont think it matters what brand as long as it is a good oil. I usually run Stihl oil myself until I was given a bunch of Echo Red Armor last year for free. It's got fuel stabilizer already in the oil which is nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

An "oil thread" is a classic joke on this forum. Everyone's got an opinion, and rarely is anyone convinced to change theirs.

That said, personally I think the silver bottle Stihl oil makes for exhaust that smells totally noxious to me. Many people complain of headaches from using it. I haven't experienced that, but the smell alone is enough for me to never use it again. Occasionally I end up with some, and I always give it away.

My preference is for yamalube 2r or Schaeffer's 7000, but I'd happily use Amsoil Saber, echo Red Armor, or a few other brands. I mix at 40:1.

Someone has recently mentioned to me to use a "good quality" oil in my gas.

Your thoughts?

The flip side to that comment- is put your oil of choice into "good quality" gas?
Thankfully we do not have to deal with watered down ethanol fuels here.

A good quality oil might be one with the best possible dye result once mixed, so one could instantly tell when filling the tank that it was indeed mixed fuel being used and not straight gas........
Imagine how redundant 50% of this chainsaw section would be if all the users could see the fuel was mixed before the saw was run? :lol:
Someone needs to invent a fuel dye that is fluorescent glow in the daylight lime green and make it industry standard- would save a LOT of OEM pistons and cylinders. ;)

I like the makita/dolmar full syntetic. Because of the price, and it doesn't smell as toxic as the stihl couterpart. I mix it about 1:50.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

use to use 30 wt non detergent in the old Polans and Homelites Have only run the orange bottle Stihl for the last 40 years or so, no problems. And I am not going to change to any snake oil

I like Amsoil Saber. They advertise you can run it 100:1. I keep it pretty close to 50:1. Far less stink that some of the other oils I have used. I've heard others say Stihl stinks too. I've never used their branded oil so I don't know about that first hand.

This is going to surprise everyone, given my handle. Husky LS.

Because the husky oils have fuel stabilizer, I assumed it came in all chainsaw brands.

I like Amsoil Saber. They advertise you can run it 100:1. I keep it pretty close to 50:1. Far less stink that some of the other oils I have used. I've heard others say Stihl stinks too. I've never used their branded oil so I don't know about that first hand.
Amsoil has excellent products. Their marketing is a little sketchy though.

Stihl oil, silver bottles, notes it Biodegradable.
That's a big turn off for me. I don't feel a oil should be Biodegradable or have a shelf life.
It would make me wonder if that gas is still safe if it sits for anytime.
I can't even figure out why they would do such a thing since I don't think they have many Environmental people in the chainsaw industry.

I am going through a bunch of Poulan Pro two stroke oil I got on clearance that says it's made by Husqvarna. Usually I ll use Quick Silver TC rated oil or whatever I have on stock.
I mix it 32:1 and use it in everything.
Chainsaws, weed trimmers, blowers, Lawnboys, dirt bikes and ATVs.

Latest posts

Back