2 stroke oil go bad?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00juice

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’ve got a few quarts of Mobil 1 racing 2T oil. 1 bottle was opened several years ago, the rest are sealed. I haven’t done much with my saws for several years. Now I’ve got a 60” Oak I want to mill with my 084. Wondering if I can safely use the open or unopened bottle of mobil1-2T.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I certainly would.

But then I’d eat a donut that old.

Ha!

PS, my over 30 year old (was unopened up until a week ago) bottle of Bardahl seems to be working fine in my saws and other stuff. I’m doing my own personal experiment.

3 years old is nothing, imo

Thanks for the feedback! I sorta figured it wouldn’t be a problem, but the 084 is an expensive one to repair if something goes wrong. I also know that milling this 60-72” diameter oak log will be giving this saw a serious work. Decisions decisions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just did an hour of weedeating with the fresh gas/old oil mix. I’ve mixed at around 32:1 or so.

It is fine. Gotta be careful I don’t stick a ring or build up too much carbon. I’ve checked a couple of saws. It’s not burning as clean as the Amsoil I used up, but not bad.

But wait! I found some more dominator a couple of days ago. Open bottles and about 4 or 5 years old. I will not hesitate.

Due to paranoia, we will soon be getting expiry dates on oil.

If it looks good and smells good it IS good, imo

And that goes for food too.

I’d use it. Just shake the 2t mix before pouring into saw. The gas and oil does seperate when the can sits idle. I don’t think the two stroke oil in the can doesn’t have a experation date. It’s not mixed with gas yet, the say once it’s mixed it lasts for 30days.

Note, I seen hotsaws101 video on two stroke oil brands he uses maxima k2. I might switch from husky +p oil.

It will be fine. I have safely burned canned Quicksilver 2 cycle oil from the 60's or early 70's. It ran fine and the equipment still runs. Keep the oil cap on and it will last a long time.

Back