2 Ways to give Arboriculture a Black Eye

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
actually he's french wll so i think its alain.

anyways he tapped for sure.

one thing i dont really get is the rock climbing thing.

you see any of dan osterman's stuff? he had large balls too.

Awesome climbing vid's.

There are time when I dislike our climbing style because of the weight and bulk of harnesses, saws and even how rigid good boots make your feet. Hmmm maybe its time to buy a lighter harness and do some rec' climbing...

Why is it these rock climbers are thought of as awesome and ballsy and they climb without their harnesses yet if I go up in the tree without a harness, I'm irresponsible and dangerous. :dunno:

Why is it these rock climbers are thought of as awesome and ballsy and they climb without their harnesses yet if I go up in the tree without a harness, I'm irresponsible and dangerous. :dunno:

balls and stupidity go hand in hand on most occasions. i say rock climbing toes the line in this instance.

you wont catch me on a rock face free ball'n my way up. no thanks, it just doesnt make sense. you are hanging it all out there for what? just to say you did it?

at least i get paid for the thrill seeking i do.

Alain Robert. I'd only just noticed the posts. That geezer is a total hero. he climbs so methodically and smoothly. He's been doing it for ever. Even the Police love him ( they are often waiting for him at top of a climb ).

What's the name of that awesome French girl free climber? She unfortunately fell to her death but she was so fluid, and supple. She was an absolute contortionist on the rock face.

Because you're work climbing and they're sport climbers. You can do any damn crazy thing you want when you're not being paid to work in trees.

The equivalent in the rock climbing world are rescue climbers, they go full tilt with PPE and heavy-duty gear.
-moss

:agree2:

Many overlook the OCCUPATIONAL part of OHS, it's all about work (occupation).

The comparison of occpational to recreational makes no sense at all. I thought the idea was safety? Are you saying that due to the fact that these people are recreational climbers, they don't need to be safe and the fact that I climb for business means that I need to be safe? I am far more fluid without a rope and harness yet thats not the "way" to do it. Your arguments make no sense. :dizzy:

The comparison of occpational to recreational makes no sense at all. I thought the idea was safety? Are you saying that due to the fact that these people are recreational climbers, they don't need to be safe and the fact that I climb for business means that I need to be safe? I am far more fluid without a rope and harness yet thats not the "way" to do it. Your arguments make no sense. :dizzy:
so you are better at working in a tree without a saddle or rope?

First of all it's not my argument, it's the people that make regs and laws.

What you do at work, safety wise, is governed.

What you do for recreation is not under the same law, pretty simple to me.

One has obligations to employer, client, etc.

The other has obligations to what? Yourself.

But in saying that there may be other laws or regs that cover your recreational pursuit, where you do it might insist on safety regs for example.

When all the motcross and 4WD'ing in parks got banned (and plenty of idiots injured themselves) private recreational 4WD parks popped up.

Now recreational parks are closing.

Why?

Coz the idiots sue the park owners when they bust their cars and selves.

So there's a myriad of regs, laws etc but when at work OHS applies, when on a sporting field another aplies, when hang gliding another applies but when you want to dive off the cliffs at Acapulco you might well be on your own.

You have hit the nail on the head mate. Its about safety and your legal obligations to provide a safe work enviroment for all people on site. Which includes you.

I admire those climbers speed and agility and simply awesome all round skills. And in the unlikely event that 1 of them ever turned up and asked for a job they would get a flat no. Work isnt play.

Latest posts

Back