2 year's worth done

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob95065

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We burn 4 to 5 cords a year. I made a woodshed that holds two years worth of firewood. We had a slow start to summer so we got into the second bay a little that I had to fill. I have 2018 - 2019 on the right and 2019 - 2020 on the left with a little extra on the far right.

20180811_161717_zpstqmghd48.jpg

Once we get closer to winter I'll get a tarp on the stack outside the roof.

Awesome!

But your really need a second shed like that, too. Seasoning for more than one year is better. A shed that hold 4 years worth of wood works out really well. Mine has five bays each 8'X8' for about 3.5 cords per bay. We burn a lot of second grade woods like pine, poplar, leyland cypress, etc. and sell most all high quality wood. I'm so tight with money that it hurts to burn quality wood. I see money going up the chimney!

woodshed.jpg

I live in a dry, warm climate in Northern California. Firewood seasons very fast. I have a mixture of hardwoods in the woodshed but it is mostly oak. If I get eucalyptus it seasons in 3 months. Oak takes almost a year. My firewood seasons a full year before I burn it.

I have a network of people that know we heat with wood. I get calls when trees go down. I also have access to large privately owned parcels of oak and eucalyptus. I haven't paid to heat my house in over 15 years.

Looking good! While I''m certainly close to if not more than two years ahead in split firewood, I am seriously considering building a woodshed for long term dry storage. I typically keep my current burning season's wood under my deck that is covered with corrugated plastic, but it can only hold about 1.5 cord.

2 years ago I knew I was going to be laid up for a while and gathered all the wood I could. This winter, I have maybe a cord of that wood left and the stacks are leaning something fierce. I do have a couple or three cords laying in a pile that needs to be worked up. Some it has been bucked but unsplit for close to two years. Also got some power company trees already down I need to get out. If it would just quit raining and keeping the creek up so high I cant get across. I would show a pic of my wood shed, but I am ashamed of how empty it is, and how the weeds have over grown it.

Nice work Bob. That leanto wood shed looks really good especially full of wood! Looking at the background of your shed, you sure live in some beautiful surroundings with no lack of timber!

Nice work Bob. That leanto wood shed looks really good especially full of wood! Looking at the background of your shed, you sure live in some beautiful surroundings with no lack of timber!

Thanks! We live in the Santa Cruz Mountains at the north end of Monterey Bay. Our house is in a redwood forest. I cut down some oaks that were in the way of grading I did and we lost some to sudden oak death but otherwise I get firewood from other places. The redwoods here are second growth which are about 150' tall. This area was logged between 1880 and 1920 so these trees are babies. I don't want to cut them down and redwood isn't the best firewood.

Back