$20 per cord to split wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihltheOne

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I hired a guy to come and split some of my wood today, I paid him 20 per cord to split it, my splitter etc. It is just not right to see someone else, that I am paying to split my wood with my splitter..... I tore my ACL 2 weeks ago and feel pretty venerable to completely destroying my knee. Although I will be "harvesting" 4 large cottonwoods in about 2-3 weeks!! I will just be cutting though. I wont be packing wood around. Sure felt weird paying a man to do MY job. 40 has not been kind to me!!

I hired a guy to come and split some of my wood today, I paid him 20 per cord to split it, my splitter etc. It is just not right to see someone else, that I am paying to split my wood with my splitter..... I tore my ACL 2 weeks ago and feel pretty venerable to completely destroying my knee. Although I will be "harvesting" 4 large cottonwoods in about 2-3 weeks!! I will just be cutting though. I wont be packing wood around. Sure felt weird paying a man to do MY job. 40 has not been kind to me!!

Sorry to hear about the ACL. Take care of the knee, I'm still nursing one that I didn't do right. I was about 41 when it happened.
As far as paying someone to do your job.............well, it's better to pay him now than to pay for it the rest of your life. 40 may not be kind to you, but you're still here. Look at the bright side. :cheers:

I did a job a while back with my processor. It wound up costing the customer $40.00 a cord cut, split, and piled. Customer said that was way too much money, said he could have it done by hand for less than that. :dizzy::dizzy::jawdrop:

Andy

Guess he won't be a repeat customer... LOL. How long does it take your processor to do a cord?

Ian

Snapped my acl 2 years ago. Did a number on my mcl and pcl too. Sucks! I was harvesting wood 3 weeks after I did it. Not smart, I am 6ft and 275 so it was hard on the joint. After I got it fixed it took a good 4 months to consider doing anything on both legs. Best advice is get it fixed and lay flat on your back with you leg on the back of the sofa to get the swelling out. Anything less and you will be miserable. Trust me! Read the 2 sentences before this again! 2 years later I still have issues and do not have 100% strength but am able to do the work... Good luck!:greenchainsaw:

I really think I'd pay someone $20 to split and stack my wood per cord. In fact I know I would. If you've seen my pics you know it's a lot of wheelbarrowing of wood.
If the wood is free you're really not out much money. Sit back in a lawnchair with a cooler of beer and observe! :popcorn:

me thinks that 20 per cord was-------CHEAP. what does a laborer around your area get???? and after he split it, did he stack it also???? your tore up, winter is coming-------thank God you could find someone to do it--

$20 a cord is about what it cost me just to rent a splitter. It cost me at least $40 in beer after for my helper and I. If I could get one of the neighborhood kids to do it for $30 a cord with my hand tools I'd be pleased.

Wait, neighborhood kids doing work? That's right, this is 2009:(

Guess he won't be a repeat customer... LOL. How long does it take your processor to do a cord?

Ian

Depends on the wood, but usually about a cord an hour.
He probably won't be a repeat customer now. He called a couple of weeks ago and wanted me to do some more, I told him I didn't have time to mess with him and I didn't want to give him something else to bad mouth me over.

Andy

I've never really timed myself but it seems a cord in 1 hr is way faster than I go ever with as fast a splitter as I have. I'm probably between 2-3hrs per cord. So for a guy to take 20.00 per cord to work that hard send him over. In fact at that rate I'll start selling wood. If all I got is 20.00 in labor to split a cord (8 cords a day) why would I buy a processor for thousands. Something is haywire here.

Hey I fell the pain my brother, Screwed up my knee 2 times like a dumb:censored:, so take care of it. Take it from a fool. The knee fix x2, two back surgeries, second didn't work, and a heart attack have put me in you shoes. If it wasn't for my son I would be hiring out all my work. It just tears me up to see them working on wood or stuff and I can't. I pull the lever on the splitter when I can run the wife away from it. Drive the loader or tractor and the truck but it ain't the same. I Stihl saw when I fell good but it don't last long. I do all the saw sharpening and keep um all going and I've got good at giving orders. The guy was doing you a favor for $20 a cord, I could use him down here.
Take care of that knee and Saw Safe.:chainsaw:

I sure wouldn't split wood for $20.00 a cord but I wouldn't pay $20.00 a cord for somebody to split my wood unless I was unable to do it myself or didn't have a splitter. I just like to split my own. I think it just makes me appreciate the wood that much more when I'm burning it.

If I could find someone to split my wood for $20 a cord I would do it in a heartbeat. I hate splitting. I would use the time I spent splitting and go cutting and sell the wood for $150 a cord. I would be doing what I love, cutting wood and playing with my saws, and then make a profit.

I absolutly hate splitting and stacking wood. If someone offered me $100 to split and stack their wood I think I would walk.

Hey I fell the pain my brother, Screwed up my knee 2 times like a dumb:censored:, so take care of it. Take it from a fool. The knee fix x2, two back surgeries, second didn't work, and a heart attack have put me in you shoes. If it wasn't for my son I would be hiring out all my work. It just tears me up to see them working on wood or stuff and I can't. I pull the lever on the splitter when I can run the wife away from it. Drive the loader or tractor and the truck but it ain't the same. I Stihl saw when I fell good but it don't last long. I do all the saw sharpening and keep um all going and I've got good at giving orders. The guy was doing you a favor for $20 a cord, I could use him down here.
Take care of that knee and Saw Safe.:chainsaw:

Man I am with you, this is number 2 for me also, last surgery was in Feb of this year. When she went this time, I knew what it ws before I hit the ground. I am still working full time and cutting a bit, but no packing for me. I had the guy back out today, he split another cord of some elm and stacked it nice. At least this elm is really straight grained and dry, actually splits very easy. I have 7 cords of pine sitting for this year also needs split, I told him to have at it too, almost in disgust with myself.
The guy that is doing this lets just say that he is a few fries short of making a happy meal, but he will work.

Sorry to hear about the ACL. Take care of the knee, I'm still nursing one that I didn't do right. I was about 41 when it happened.
As far as paying someone to do your job.............well, it's better to pay him now than to pay for it the rest of your life. 40 may not be kind to you, but you're still here. Look at the bright side. :cheers:

I did a job a while back with my processor. It wound up costing the customer $40.00 a cord cut, split, and piled. Customer said that was way too much money, said he could have it done by hand for less than that. :dizzy::dizzy::jawdrop:

Andy

Concidering what everthing else cost today.....40$ per cord is a bargain.....:clap:

If I had the business and the equipment I would not make it for 40 bucks....

Latest posts

Back