$200 price rang for milling saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombie saw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking to star experimenting with milling my own wood. I have one of those cheap timber tuff cutting guides from amazon. I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars in tell I fingered out if it was something I wanted to do a lot of. I know there is a lot more then just cutting wood to it. I just want to talk about what saw to look for .

I'm looking for suggestions on a saw to look for.
I was thing in the 50cc or bigger and with a minimum of a 18 inch bar.

Hi all,
I'm looking to star experimenting with milling my own wood. I have one of those cheap timber tuff cutting guides from amazon. I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars in tell I fingered out if it was something I wanted to do a lot of. I know there is a lot more then just cutting wood to it. I just want to talk about what saw to look for .

I'm looking for suggestions on a saw to look for.
I was thing in the 50cc or bigger and with a minimum of a 18 inch bar.

70cc, a cheap Chinese clone will do it. Or a world better - a second hand Husky372.
The Granberg mini mill have cnc milled main brackets and proper chain bar fittings (yes it does make a significant difference) the others don't. 20"/.050 milling chain/bar (10* cutting angle).

Spend more and buy something you can also use for other things.
A 372 xp is a good example, but I can't imagen finding a good one for 200 euro.
A Dolkita 6400/7300/7900 is an other relatively good match.
Or a used 555?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

I'm stuck on the $200 budget. That's my big dilemma I have seen 50cc name brand saws in the price rage, but no 70cc ones. I don't really have time to rebuild a saw right now. I have to much non running crap I haven't fixed yet already. I'm not comfortable with buy a Chinese chainsaw yet.

I'm stuck on the $200 budget. That's my big dilemma I have seen 50cc name brand saws in the price rage, but no 70cc ones. I don't really have time to rebuild a saw right now. I have to much non running crap I haven't fixed yet already. I'm not comfortable with buy a Chinese chainsaw yet.

You need a magnesium case saw, the www.huztl.net site will get you started. Might not be magnesium but aluminum is pretty good too I would expect.
50cc might be able to do a small one time sample of soft wood, it's a significant difference to the saw from cross cutting wood at a minute compared to milling a board at full throttle thorough 10 or 15 minutes.
You need to brace yourself for saving for a 60cc saw at least if you want the genuine experience. Patience is what we need.

Start out small like with your timber tuff jig, that’s how I got into it.

softwoods like pine and and sharp chain at 5 degrees is a good start too. You can do it with a chap saw that you probably already have but it’s slow and hard on it. I would suggest using what you have and see how it goes initially. If you enjoy what you are doing then you can start spending on something better.
Like the others have suggested, a 70cc saw or larger. For that price used is probably the way to go or hutzl as already recommended.

this is an expensive hobby to get started, ideally you want 95cc for a 36” bar, 70cc for a 24-28” bar and 60cc for 20”. Really comes down to how well the oilers can keep up and of course power to thickness and density of wood.

It can be very expensive, but you can do it on the cheap. A 50CC saw will do some small milling but is not realistic. If you take a little time and go to auctionzip.com, enter your zip code and put a 30 or 50 mile radius, and check the Antiques-Household-and collectibles category it will give you every auction in your area. Craigslist, ebay, facebook may find some deals. What I have found in those venues is people have an item they think is gold and have it priced as such. Farm and equipment auctions have merchandise to move NOW. They don't take offers, come back tomorrow, or let me think about it. They sell to the highest bidder NOW. A couple months ago I bought an 85CC Poulan with a 31" Bar for $40. The new chain cost $30. Last year I bought a Homelite Super 1050, 100CC saw with a 24" bar for $150. Both are excellent runners. I already have 2 Super 1050's and one used to be my go to milling saw. It's the one in my avatar. The saw on the truck is the $150 one, and the one with the 36" bar is the one in my avatar. So, you can go big to get started without selling your first born.
https://i.imgur.com/FMFniqF.jpg
wNfw852.jpg

4laqa2f.jpg

@rarefish383 those are some great finds!

Never mind my scepsis then.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk
I'm lucky I live in an area where our primary forests are large hardwoods, and a fairly dense population of wealthy people, that maintain their yards and trees. So, we have lots of quality tree services, and lots of used saws. I'm 4th generation in the Residential Tree Service, retired. I collect big saws, usually don't buy anything under 70'CC's. I buy almost all of my saws at farm auctions. Last year I tried searching farm auctions all around the country and found big saws are very regional. I also bought a new 660 a couple years ago for my mill because I didn't want to over work my old saws.I have more money in the 660 than my whole collection. I have spent a whole day at a sale just to buy a couple saws. I spent the day at a sale about 50 miles from my house to buy a Poulan Super 68, 85CC's, in excellent running condition for $40. I'm retired and enjoy auctions. Some folks can't do that, but, that's how I find my deals.

In this pile of saws the MS290 in the back I bought brand new, I have less than $300 in the rest of them.
FMFniqF.jpg

These four I bought this spring. I stopped in an old Stihl dealer and asked if he had any old Homelites, he sold me these for $70. A Super 1050 with full wrap handle bar, an XL925, a 450, and a little blue EZ.
Sho2nnu.jpg

WOW, those are some good deals. I'm a little hesitant on buy a Chinese saw still, but it looks like the ones suggested have good reviews. I never thought of going to a auction looking for a saw. It looks like the common consensus is the a good starting point would be a 70cc or bigger.

You need a magnesium case saw, the www.huztl.net site will get you started. Might not be magnesium but CHINESIUM is pretty good too I would expect.
50cc might be able to do a small one time sample of soft wood, it's a significant difference to the saw from cross cutting wood at a minute compared to milling a board at full throttle thorough 10 or 15 minutes.
You need to brace yourself for saving for a 60cc saw at least if you want the genuine experience. Patience is what we need.

Fixed it for you.....

The beech wood on my avatar is made with the copy cat 038, I guess it depends on what you're milling. At 20 inches you might want to consider the weight of the power head and your wallet as a benefit or not.
I would definitely prefer an original 038 mag, but that just didn't happen to me.

The beech wood on my avatar is made with the copy cat 038, I guess it depends on what you're milling. At 20 inches you might want to consider the weight of the power head and your wallet as a benefit or not.
I would definitely prefer an original 038 mag, but that just didn't happen to me.

I'm using a 066 and sometimes wish for more saw.

I'm using a 120cc saw and never wish for less (weight or otherwise).
70cc is the jumping on point. Any less and you're killing the saw or ending up with poor cut quality from ineffective power.

Although, I imagine a 60cc saw and properly sharp chain can cut pretty well on one of those "noodle guides" on a small log (saw/bar vertical mill).
Have never tried one.

Back