$200 splitter I bought

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hydraulic oil draws moisture and that water sits in the bottom of the tank.together by someone who understood very little about hydraulic design.
If that is the case why are ALL of the mass produced splitters built with suction ports on the base of the units? From where I am sitting that is a ideal spot for a suction port not to mention that there can not be allot of water in the tank from condensation which would be in every hydraulic tank. I don't think you will have a problem whipping a 22 GPM Pacman once you get your pump and hoses cleaned up. I think if you take your splitter and sand blast it and throw on a coat of good paint it would look killer :rock:

All factory made splitter tanks have the suction outlet in the side near the bottom but not in the bottom. There is always at least 1" or more space between the suction outlet and the bottom of the tank

That means nothing I mean if you got a 1 inch space and you have oil coming in and stirring the tank your not going to avoid getting water in to your mix by putting it one inch above the base. The primary reason there putting the suction port one inch above the base of the tank is to have enough room to easily weld the flange in not to avoid water and dirt.

Attached are some quotes from a hydraulics design manual.

In addition to holding in reserve enough fluid to supply a hydraulic system's varying needs, a reservoir, Figure 1, provides:

a large surface area to transfer heat from the fluid to the surrounding environment
enough volume to let returning fluid slow down from a high entrance velocity. This lets heavier contaminants settle and entrained air escape
a physical barrier (baffle) that separates fluid entering the reservoir from fluid entering the pump suction line
air space above the fluid to accept air that bubbles out of the fluid
access to remove used fluid and contaminants from the system and to add new fluid
space for hot-fluid expansion, gravity drain-back from a system during shutdown, and storage of large volumes needed intermittently during peak periods of an operating cycle

And do you really think any of the chimps down at the MTD or what ever discount log splitter company has read that book?

Well they sure could have fooled me with the one gallon or less tanks and lack of a actual axle. How do they manage to time the parts to fail the month after the warranty?

Those combination tank / axles hold several gallons and are very cost effective. In fact nearly every manufacturer including Timberwolf uses the tank/axle combo on one or more of their models.

:laugh: You haven't seen the size of the northern tool tanks, Lowes, Tractor supply tanks now have you? All of the cheap splitters I have seen locally usually hold less than a gallon and your lucky if you see one more than that. The high dollar splitters now are a different subject but I am talking about the majority of the low dollar splitters. Also those tank axle's are not very safe unless they have a actual shaft under there to support every thing. Besides your not supposed to run them at or near highway speeds which leaves the question of if it looses a tire on the way home from the store can you get a new one after you trash the other new one.

After checking the specs for hydraulic capacities for the following brands of splitters using a tank/axle combo. I found they all listed approximately the same amount 30 to 33 quarts or 7 1/2 to 8 3/4 gallons.

Timberwolf
NorthStar
Iron and Oak
Brave
Huskee-TSC
Speeco
Troy-Built
MTD brands

Nobody here has been defending poorly designed log splitters......
....except you!
I am not defending them I am just saying that if they can run a suction line a inch or less above the tank bottom then it wouldn't be a problem sucking from the bottom of the tank like Pacman has. The gallon or less I am using as my base figures are from my local hydraulic repair company and from what I have seen in the stores. The tank axle combo is a great idea but it has some fatal flaws to it but I am no expert so don't mind me.

took off the old pump

The guy at the hydraulics shop didnt say any thing bad about the location coming from the bottom . I will ask him asap and let you know what he said . He did tell me it would be around 35 psi with the right pump . I hope this is at idle .

I took the old pump off tonight.He wanted to know the size of the shaft and what kind of shaft it has ( it has a key way in it but I dont know the right name for it ). The shaft is 29\32 inch . That was close as I coled get the measurement .

I am going to get the fittings tomorrow to put the in 1-1/4 inch line .All the stores were closed for the new year .

Thank all you for your input . Please keep it coming .

up date

I talked to the hydraulics guy yesterday . He said its not necessary to add a filter on the line from the tank to the pump on this machine . In the mean time he was going to find me a pump . He said he has one in his shop . I should get it on Friday and put it on .

I had to go out of town for my job and I will be back Friday evening .

I will have all the parts I need when I get back . I am going to reduce the 2-1/2 inch line to a 1-1/4 and put a ball valve cut off in it in case I have to work on the pump or the line again.

Like I said before he said it will be 35 gpm -3500 psi and I hope that is at 1000-1200 rpm ( right at idle ) with 60-70 ton .

Im going to move that lift and the cylinder asap . The lift is right under the wedge and it needs to be move foreward about 14 inches inbetween the cylinder and the wedge . I dont know the reason it was under the wedge .

We had a break in at the shop and some body stole $25,000 worth of equipment ( welder , 2 saws one metal table saw one concrete , plasma cutter , table saw and some other things ). It was on the day I was going on vacation right when I was going to start working on Splitzilla . So I have to wait until we get the plasma cutter and welder back to do the job .There is a torch there so I might use it .

I will post some pictures this week end when I get some things done.Check out picture #86 to see the cylinder under the wedge .The cylinder is leaking too so I think I might have to replace it .

I am going to add a six way wedge on it too . My concern is that it might try to push the wood up instead of threw .What do you guys think ?

Any ideas ?

Michael

We Want An Update

Well maybe not every one but I sure do. I wanna know how you rigged up the new pump to that monster.

In my book, I think that Splitzilla is just a really cool conversation piece. Is it practical? No way. Is it a good way to relieve a little of lifes stress? Dang right!! Carry on.:cheers:

Tank size - In '79 or '80 I bought a Didier splitter, they were sold by Agway, etc. 11 gpm pump & 5 hp Briggs. It had about a 2 or 2 1/2 gal tank on it. Ran 10 - 20 full cord of wood through it every year 'till 2 years ago. I added a log lift & went to a bigger tank. There was no filter, not even a strainer, It's still running today, same pump - Before I knew better, I loaned it out a few times, that splitters done somewhere between 300 - 400 full cord of wood. Not a lot if you're selling I guess, but a lot for a single user.

tw-6

I was looking at this tw-6 . This is some thing I was trying to accomplish . The only thing is that tw-6 cost $6000 verses $350 -$400 . I will have the same type of splitting wedge design it has on it . I like that design . My only set back is that some body stole all the fabricating equipment out of our shop before Christmas .
I have all of my new in line going to my pump mounted on with a 2 inch ball valve. I have my new pump . I made me a plate to mount it on . I cut out the old angle iron that held the old pump . I had to get the chuck thing (what ever its call ) tooled out because the old one was 7/8 inch and the new pump has a 1 inch shaft . As soon as I get that chuck thing back I will take more pics .

New pics coming soon .Thanks guys !

mounting pump

I am going to mount my new pump today . I made a bracket to mount it on and im going to weld it onto the frame . I am not a welder but I am going to be one today .
I cant work on this thing like I want to because of working out of town all week on my job .
My uncle let me borrow his welder since some body stole all equipment at my job out of our shop ( that sucks big time ! ).
I have some 1/2 inch steel im going to make my 6 way splitting wedge . So im off to the races . More pics coming .

I cant work on this thing like I want to because of working out of town all week on my job .

Heck, just take your splitter with you. Your boss will understand. then you can work on it after work!

Back