$200 splitter I bought

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hose

The hose was an old hose and looked brittle . Yes it did burst inside the fitting where it was crimped . I didnt know that black pipe couldnt hold the pressure like a hose .

My pump is a 35 gpm pump . I found that out yesterday before I could get Splitzilla turned off . That oil was coming out of that line like a geyser . I got a nice oil bath too .

Last edited:
pipe

OK .I will just replace the hose. It was old and kind of brittle . The hydraulics man told me I would have problems with the old hoses.

Why is it that pipe wont work on the pressure side ? Is it because of leakage in the thread and fitting ? I was just wondering .

scrap is 10 cents a pound tom trees

You might think it is only scrap . Every thing is working the engine is running pump is working fine . No leaks until that hose burst . If it didnt work I wouldnt be wasting my time .

I have a small splitter that I use . It works like a champ. The one you want me to scrap has a lift and faster with more tonnage . So im not going to scrap any thing yet . I have to get at least one season out of it first .

pacman,

Your average steel 1 inch pipe is rated for about 300 psi . The average pipe fittings are rated for 175 psi. These are the rated pressures they will hold more but not safely. The hydraulic hoses for a log splitter are usually rated at 3000 psi.

jerry

What Jerry said - Steel pipe has been used for sure, I probably have a few places I've used the fittings for lack of a hyd. 90 at the time. The threads are NPT, teflon tape seals them just fine. It just isn't rated for the pressures in a splitter pump.

opps

I already used a 90 on it already . I hope it will hold up. It is on the pressure side of the pump . Should I take it off ? I think I should replace it any way since that is the end that the hose blew and would be a real easy fix .

Oh yeah it was messy ! It soaked the grass . I do EPA work and this would be a ground cleaning for sure . As soon as I get back in town im heading to Northern to replace it . Thank you for your help .

Originally Posted by tomtrees58
scrap is 10 cents a pound tom trees

Bueaty is in the eye of the beholder. Mayby later in this thread, we could see a cummins diesel atop splitzilla running on fry oil. Plenty of torque and cheap to run. Good job pacman

IMO, an ugly slow cheap splitter is still way better than a chromed plated, milled, thing of beauty wedge and maul !

thanks

Thank you guys for all the support and all the non support. I am telling you guys that this is only some thing I am just working on to see how its going to work out. So far so good except for that hose. The hose is going to be replaced in the morning asap.

It is not slow and it runs fine after I put the new carburetor on. I am not going to put a Cummings diesel on it either. You guys think i'm crazy! I got it really cheap. I just added some new components. Moved the lift towards the center.

This week end I will make a video so you can see it run. I might get some of you saying " im sorry for saying that stupid stuff". Then again I might get it cut up to scrap to the scrap yard for $.10 a pound.

Latest posts

Back