2004 Bandit 1590 running out of fuel under a hard load

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaystihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys I am a bit stumped here. I have a 2004 bandit 1590 with cat/ Perkins 3054. I was getting fuel leaking out of the injector pump so I had the whole pump rebuilt. After the rebuild the chipper ran fine until I started putting bigger wood in ( only 4-5 inch diameter). When it's under a hard load the engine seems to start losing power like its running out of fuel. If I leave it running it will build power back up until I run some bigger wood through it. Sometimes it will loose so much power and just completely run out of fuel. I then have to hand pump the lift pump to get fuel back into the system, give it a couple long cranks and it will start back up and idle fine. It seems like it is sucking air from somewhere but I have changed the fuel lines and all clamps. The lift pump was leaking some fuel around the gasket so I replaced that and everything is dry now. I don't see any fuel leaks anywhere. Any ideas on what else I can check?

Back