2005 JP Carlton command pro CH-740 replacement engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What hp is the best

• 27hp. gas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30hp. gas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • more than 30hp

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

halden

Reaction score
I need to find a replacement engine for a 2005 JP Carlton 4012 stump grinder. It has a 2005 Kohler command pro Ch-740 with 1" 7/16 crank.
I dont care about the brand or horse power I just need it to fit right on with no fabrication.
Any suggestions?

halden : Personally ,I'd go for higher HP ....Check the Kohler website http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/productDetail.htm?productNumber=Command PRO CH740
then go to
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/productDetail.htm?productNumber=Command PRO CH940

Look at the download for the "service manual pdf" and there are blueorints for the mounting dimensions on both engines . I think they are the same ,but look closely. As long as the shaft dimensions are the same , it may be a "bolt -right -on" swap
I did a CH940 (34 HP ) upgrade on my Vermeer 252 ,replacing the original CH23 (25HP ) and the incresed power made a huge difference .
BTW : I got my CH940 from Tulsa Engine Warehouse (TEW online)
Great price and service..
Stan NCgrinder

I'm unsure of the best way to gain more hp. An engine that will out perform the ch-740 25hp. I don't know whats out there to chose from.

You need to stay with the same displacement Kohler engine if you want it to bolt right up. You have to think not only about the belt drive system but also about the hydraulic pump drive and the housing that holds the pump in place. This is specific to that Kohler engine.

More horsepower is nice but you are really opening a can of worms if you try to go to one of the larger displacement engines. I believe you can get a 27HP to bolt right up - but the bigger Kohler will not and you are asking for a lot of fabrication.

The more horsepower the better - maybe replace the engine with a new 27HP than sell it and get one with a bigger engine???

Latest posts

Back