2012 firewood sprint

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDRMNKY

ArboristSite Dork
Reaction score
ready?...GO!

today begins the splitting sprint...gotta get everything in the lean-to before the baby comes (end of July)

I wouldn't trade em' for anything, but speed will be hampered by the two kiddos who are hangin' with dad while mom has work. At least they'll be learning, and helping where they can!

There'll be pics along the way...wish me luck!

:msp_biggrin:

Good luck!

Mine starts this Friday. I've got 15 pallets layed out to throw the heap o splits on. No stacking this year.
I'll have both the electric powered SuperSplit and my hydraulic splitter for the really nasty stuff. Got at least 2-3 full days of splitting to do, maybe things will go faster with the new SuperSplit.

ready?...GO!

today begins the splitting sprint...gotta get everything in the lean-to before the baby comes (end of July)

I wouldn't trade em' for anything, but speed will be hampered by the two kiddos who are hangin' with dad while mom has work. At least they'll be learning, and helping where they can!

There'll be pics along the way...wish me luck!

:msp_biggrin:

Good Luck!

Sounds like you're going to need it, but the extra time it takes to train those helpers now should pay off tenfold in the future if you do it right.

And remember, pics or it didn't happen:hmm3grin2orange:

Good luck!

Mine starts this Friday. I've got 15 pallets layed out to throw the heap o splits on. No stacking this year.
I'll have both the electric powered SuperSplit and my hydraulic splitter for the really nasty stuff. Got at least 2-3 full days of splitting to do, maybe things will go faster with the new SuperSplit.

Thread required on how you like the SS! It would be a great help at the wood cutting in Wis. with InnerFaith. FYI.

only at the end of the day did it occur to me to take a big pic of all the stacks to be split...(fail)...so tomorrow I'll take a picture of what's left minus what was split today

so here's the kindling the kiddos helped me split last night

2012-06-13_08-21-54_203.jpg

and this is how we moved the splits from stack to lean-to

2012-06-13_09-28-52_899.jpg

we got the first two rows (of about 8) done today

2012-06-13_19-38-24_332.jpg

the kiddos were real helpers today, and they enjoyed playing out back while dad swung the fiskars

I sure enjoyed having them around today!!
I can't find the right words to say how proud I am of them today, and how much I enjoyed having them around.
Did I say I really enjoyed having them around today?

the only mishap was a wasp's nest in an old tire (not the one in the pic)...the kiddos got one sting each
a few hugs and some toothpaste soon fixed things up though

2012-06-13_09-28-35_440.jpg

so, I realize I'll have to take better pics tomorrow...apologies

cheers!

okay...if you can imagine a stack of wood (about 7ft tall) between those two locust trees in the foreground, you'll see what I'm up against in this sprint

2012-06-14_10-12-19_100.jpg

we're ready to start dad...are you ready?

2012-06-14_10-12-05_980.jpg

okay...now we're ready for a cookie break...

2012-06-14_11-27-26_780.jpg

check it out...I got a "new" low-pro tire for my splitter!!! now all I need are some curb feelers on my skidloader

2012-06-14_11-28-38_112.jpg

and this is how far we got today...1.2 rows in the lean-to...then I had to leave for a site visit

2012-06-14_15-15-04_692.jpg

the kiddos did very well again today...and I don't mind the cookie breaks :)

I gotta tell ya'...I hate splitting pear and ash...oh well, it's heat

more chopping tomorrow...now I'm off to strain and ferment some dandelion/mulberry wine

cheers!

made some good progress today

2012-06-20_16-51-26_934.jpg

it's been a few days waiting for the ground to dry out, and then a couple other things came up (always)

the kiddos stayed inside and played today...mommy didn't mind so I charged ahead

ended up getting 2 full rows into the lean-too

2012-06-20_16-54-04_702.jpg

this year I'm mixing cedar in with my hackberry and pear...about 50/50. ended up with a lot of all three because the orange trucks stopped by this spring and said something about the power company wanting a golf course under their poles. and there was one big bradford that had to come down at church. the cedar should help keep the temp up in the stove, and maybe the hackberry will burn better. :dunno:

only one full row, a couple halfs, and all the chunks left...if we get rain tonight it'll be a few more days

cheers!

got rained out for a couple days, but should be off and running tomorrow...almost done...almost

in the meantime, here's a pic my wife snuck on a family firewood trip a few weeks ago...didn't know it existed until it showed up on FB :msp_sneaky:

chainsawdoorag.jpg

grandpa's 52E still throwin' chips...that saw runs better with every tank of mix

cheers!

been sleepin' with the windows open, and this morning at 0430 woke up as the wind went from 10mph to 40mph...which brought...?

you guessed it...rain. we need the moisture, but there sure are a lot of slow times between heats in this sprint.

cheers!

been sleepin' with the windows open, and this morning at 0430 woke up as the wind went from 10mph to 40mph...which brought...?

you guessed it...rain. we need the moisture, but there sure are a lot of slow times between heats in this sprint.

cheers!

I'd give you a hand if you were closer!

Keep up the good work!

REP sent!

well...it was dry enough to split yesterday, but 107F? ...call me a wimp, but I passed.

today was pretty darn hot also, but time's a wastin'

soaked through everything in the first hour today, but made good progress. trying to get all the full length stuff done by Wednesday before the job.

almost done with the hackberry/pear...should have some cedar left
that willow in the foreground goes in last and gets burnt first

2012-06-25_16-46-48_745-1.jpg

down to the gnarly pieces and a bit of noodling...more tomorrow as well

2012-06-25_16-47-14_991.jpg

tried to at least swing in the shade today

2012-06-25_16-47-48_647.jpg

got my last full row in, and part of a short row

2012-06-25_16-54-26_734-1.jpg

six new rows done so far...added to the 5 rows that were left from the mild last season

should be able to finish the short rows tomorrow, and get started on all the chunks

the kiddos stayed inside and played in the A/C today...smarter than I am!! :msp_confused:

stay cool!!

got the short rows done, and all the full length wood for this season
the chunks go in that cage in the bottom right

2012-06-26_13-45-17_783.jpg

quite a few chunks this year...that's what ya' get when you scrounge I guess

2012-06-26_13-44-13_212.jpg

almost time to start filling the woodlot again

2012-06-26_13-43-37_224.jpg

still not my favorite day of the year yet, but close...

cheers!

My favorite day of the year!!!!!!

well...IT'S DONE!!!!

2012-06-30_12-54-04_139.jpg

all these outside rows are left from last year, but they still look good!!

2012-06-30_12-54-31_942.jpg

this is hands down my FAVORITE day of the year...better than Christmas, Easter, b-day, and anniversary (don't tell my wife)!!!!

all my firewood for the coming season is ready to go...maybe I'll take a day off before I start gathering again

just over 2 weeks (with interruptions) ain't so bad for a firewood sprint :blob2:

now I can get the stove and chimney cleaned & ready to go, and install the chimney in the garage...after I set up the pool for the kiddos I'm told :msp_smile:

best of luck with ya'll's firewood...cheers!!

Latest posts

Back