2013/2014 Firewood gathering

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got two cords of aspen in rounds that I bucked last Sunday. Also 4 black ash, 2 aspen, and a big red maple still standing that will be coming down after I've got venison in the freezer.

Here's the next one to become firewood. It's an Ash that's losing it's branches. This is the same farmer that three of you guys took one down for me in his yard by his garage.
IMG_20140115_123128.jpg

I ID them as HEAVY wood! How you get them in the truck?

BTW nice score on the new wood lot.

Ted
Yes, they were heavy! I told them I'd sick this guy I know from AS on them if they didn't jump up there! :D

No, one piece at a time. Picked them up and put them in lifted with the legs. Back feels fine!

Thanks! They have another woods/grove that I haven't even seen yet that's mine too. Feeling good!

The 042 makes short work of them. :chainsaw: I would have split them before loading, but my maul is waiting for someone to put a new handle on it! :chop:

You mean to tell me that you, a person who heats their home with wood, has but one axe? And you, a person who heats his home with wood, swings that one axe so poorly you break handles? :buttkick::D

I think I might have noodled those babies before I tried to throw them in the truck! MY back hurts just seeing them loaded! lol

Ted

I know we're going to get snow. I didn't want them to get covered and was running out of sunlight. They are bone dry so, they're not as heavy as green wood. I did rip a couple of the bigger ones.

Well, yes, I only have one splitting maul. Bought it when I started burning wood here in '08. Fiberglass handle. I had some guys come over to help me and they used it as a wedge. I've learned that breaks the bond to the handle. So, no it wasn't my swinging that broke it. I've tried rebonding it twice now and have failed both times. Now it getting a wood handle. I need to get all of the glue out of the head.

Sure is nice to hear you are doing better Dan. You have had a long hard battle I'm sure. Glad your back out there!:clap:

Thanks for the kind words Clint! Yes, it's been a long road! Not only getting over being hurt, I had to get back into shape! If it wasn't for the group coming over last year and cutting that wood, we would be farther behind.

Hey Dan, I can see the tops of those fence posts in the one pic. Must not have much snow down there. ;-)

Glad to see you are up and moving around.

Dan, it's just plain hard to not break a nice new wooden handle! They sound so cool when they go! Especially if some one else hadta buy them!

Ted

Latest posts

Back