2014 firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is mostly red oak and cherry. This load is mostly locust and cherry. I have been spoiled so far this year. The 4 cord I have is about 25% locust, 50% oak and 25% cherry. I will go to the saw mill and cut up 3-4 Poplars for the quick burn / starter stacks and that should set me.

Attachments

• 20140311_191259.jpg
    20140311_191259.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 62
Well I got some more work done on the pile during the last week. All of what was cut in the last pic is now split. I was cutting some more yesterday afternoon and this morning. Came to the big logs in the pile- 26"-32" in diameter and even though I didn't put in a full day either day, I gotta say my body feels like I have. I am just not a fan of that big stuff. Even with the tractor and forks, I would much rather have logs under 20" in diameter. Sorry no pics today. I was in a hurry and forgot to take some, will soon be off to our girls basketball state finals game.

Just wanted to post an update on progression so far. The pile is 70' long. My helper is sitting in the truck riding shotgun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 191
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 182
Wow good work Jrider! You aren't the only one going to pound town. I worked out a deal with my brother in law.. I help him clear the woodlines on the farm and he helps me split / stack. We put this together in the last 2 weekends or so. We both agreed I think I have enough to get me through the summer! :laugh:

20140329_083649.jpg

Good luck to your daughter's team! I agree, 16" - 20" stuff that I can lift by myself and put on the production table is the best tradeoff of get a lot of nice / no bark splits and manageable to handle.

It's been a while since then but it wasnt my daughters team, but the team at the high school I teach at. Our girls had a great year but easily got beat by a very good team from north Jersey If anyone knows Jersey, they will understand north Jersey and basketball. I thank you for your well wishes.

This year marks the first time I've ever purchased logs and just processed them at the farm. I am amazed at how fast and easily I can turn those logs into a pile of splits. Of course being able to pick the logs up with the forks makes life easier.

This year marks the first time I've ever purchased logs and just processed them at the farm. I am amazed at how fast and easily I can turn those logs into a pile of splits. Of course being able to pick the logs up with the forks makes life easier.
If you don't mind sharing, have you ran the numbers to figure out your cost (just in logs, not accounting for fuel or time) per cord of wood? My cousin is considering doing that, but I told him I would be wary of the cost. Obviously it will fluctuate with species, what do you mostly have there?

I have tried keeping track for a whole season and haven't had the discipline to stick with it. I have kept track of things while cutting small amounts (10-15 cords) on other people's land. And so far I am pretty damn sure I am making more per hour just cutting logs already on the farm vs cutting some place else and hauling it to the farm. We have all sorts of hardwoods but I deal with more oak than anything.

Yeah this would be for his own personal use, so ~5 cord a year max. I wonder that would run in him in logs. I am still sure it would beat the snot out of filling the oil tank but not as nice as the F-R-E-E variety in all of my pictures. Assuming 18" diameter logs, you would need 6 logs that are 12' in length to make 1 cord. Can anybody out there help estimate the cost? I know there are a lot of variables.. We live in PA.

Just as an example,one firewood dealer in King of Prussia PA. sells 8-9 cord log loads for $700. 8'-12' long logs, 20" dia. Seems about right compared to up here, log loads go for $80-$90 a cord. Most likely the buyer is required to buy a full load, which could be 8-12 cord depending on truck size.

Been a while since the last update. Haven't gotten much of a chance to work on the pile due to coaching my daughters softball team and working on spring projects like fence line clean up and a few leaf jobs. I did manage to get out and run the saw a little this morning while the wife and kids went to church. This pile is what I got cut during that time.image.jpg

I have been looking at your stack and am trying to get a gauge of it's size. I believe in one post you said it was 70 feet long, and I see it looks about 6 1/2' tall(comparing to the roof of your truck), how wide is it at the bottom?

Got a decent amount of cutting done the past few days. Took a quick break and snapped this shot while enjoying myself on a sunny day in the low 60's.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 80
Been working quite a bit on the firewood the last few weeks. This first pic is my attempt to show 3 piles I have done that amounts to about 65 cord.image.jpg

This is 4 cords of oak I scrounged from people who had trees cut and didn't want the wood. Hope to get most of it split today.image.jpg

Latest posts

Back