2014 Season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, here's the accuweather official forecast for fall 2014 and beyond. They say we'll get polar vortexes coming in fall, lots of snow in winter - basically a repeat of last winter. So it looks like you're gettin' ready! The West has different forecast. Drought and hot weather will continue. That will be bad news for CA farmers. If this pattern sets in for decades, there will be a big migration from West to East, and Las Vegas will become another Western ghost town, just on a much grander scale! Since CA grows half of the nations vegetables, this will open up great new opportunities for veggie farmers here in the East. It will also make the firewood business a more profitable enterprise for those of us here in the East. The price of cords will go up along with the price of gold!

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/fall-2014-forecast-polar-vortex/31254218

Ya, think I will get on the stick and start laying up a few mountains of rounds to split. Been sorta lazy this year, well, busy with normal work in between the monsoons and lazy.

But, the zogger bogger version one is almost done, this will help as I can keep it loaded up for cutting and sneak off for the odd hour or two and not sweat the mud as much.

Version two waiting in the wings is a lot more truck, and I got it running, rough, but running, that will have to wait until next year after income tax check comes in.

I noticed a couple guys on Craigslist last year offering their saws (good saws) in trade for gold, guns or ammo.

Think I've reached my goal for the year so the pressure is off. Now I can cut at a more relaxed pace. Over the last few weeks I've cut somewhere around 27 Ranger loads. Today I did a load of oak & added to that a load of poplar as it was there, clean, off the ground & I could back my truck up to it. Also cut another load which I left on the ground.

A lot of the oak from this site looked like this.

First load today.

The 034 has cut it all.

Some of the poplar.

Thanks zogger. Most of the oak is from tops left from a logging job in early spring. I was planning to move before winter but I'm not sure I'll get it done so I needed some wood.

We cut a little softwood which was easy to get at.

Here's part of the spliter rounds which I worked over last week.

Part of what needed stacked.

Back