2015 CT Firewood Permits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
CT residents

Chance to play the lottery again, 2015 State Firewood Permits are now being accepted.

http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/forestry/firewood_application_2015.pdf

I talked to the State Forester last week about a doing pre-timber harvest thinning job. He was pretty sure the EAB quarantine will soon be extended to include Windham and Tolland counties, making it statewide by the end of the year. Should eliminate the transport issues in and out of EAB quarantine areas within the state when selecting a zone on the application. He had no idea if the Self Declaration Form requirement will be dropped.

If you're not selected there's still hope. Though fewer than past years, several of the lottery winners decline the permit after looking at what's involved in getting the wood out of the area they've been offered. Even though the application is pretty clear on what to expect, there are always a few laboring under the illusion there's a stacked pile right by the side of the road in a forest or park with their name on it.

Take Care

No big help to those of us down here in the "Gold Coast".
No shortage of other lumber though. Much less mileage involved. :clap:

Thanks for posting the permit info. I would be all over that but I currently have some great wood sources.

Put in for one for the last four years. No luck. I've noticed they're issuing fewer permits each year. Started saving the public results since they stopped posting prior years results for comparison. What's up with that?

Would have thought more permits would have been issued the last few years given hurricanes Irene and Sandy but nope! The whole thing seems a little fishy to me.

I sent mine in for zone 'N' 4WD see if I have any luck, any idea on how many applications they receive?

Put in for one for the last four years. No luck. I've noticed they're issuing fewer permits each year. Started saving the public results since they stopped posting prior years results for comparison. What's up with that?

Would have thought more permits would have been issued the last few years given hurricanes Irene and Sandy but nope! The whole thing seems a little fishy to me.

Hopefully your luck changes this year.

What zone(s) did you apply for? If you contact DEEP Forestry they should provide you with a list of state harvests past, present, and planned future, it is public record. Check the zones and try to pick one close by that has/had several harvests or a large harvest taking place.

I sent mine in for zone 'N' 4WD see if I have any luck, any idea on how many applications they receive?

No idea, but again if you contact DEEP Forestry those stats for previous years should be available. Can PM a contact if you wish.

Take Care

What zone(s) did you apply for?

Area D, 4WD per my recollection. There's a lot of state forest near where I live so put in for that. If I knew what areas would give me a better chance I'd put in for those, but I don't. Not sure I'm going to bother this year, but we'll see.

Back