2015 delivery in the stacks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
2015_zpse3214130.jpg

4 cords of Willow for delivery next year plus some for my shoulder season. Each rick holds just shy of 2 cords. There is a 1/2 rick behind that full rick. Those last few rounds will fall to Mr. Fiskars tomorrow. the 2014 delivery is waiting to go as soon as the ground is nice and dry - he has a very steep grassy slope I have to back down. With only a 2x I always wonder if I'll come back out. I've made it with no problem for some 10 years but one still wonders.

I split about 95% of everything by hand. Only knots/crotches and strings get the splitter or noodled.

Soon as I finish that I gotta turn to on pruning trees. Bought an electric with a 9' reach - I'll see how that works. After pruning I have some 15 cords of black locust in rounds to be split - that should keep my cardio exercise going most of the year.

Harry K

Those are some nice rows you have there.. so what does 15 cords of black locust rounds look like?

Not a good shot, I'll get a better one tomorrow 15 is probably conservative. I'll also measue it tomorrow :)

waiting_zps5e7c54e8.jpg

Harry K

Hmmm...off to the left edge I see the end of my pile of limbs waiting to be cut up. I had forgotten about that job waiting. Probably not do them all at one time but use the chunks to add to the bigger splits as I stack.

Harry K

Wow that's beautiful. Locust is one of my favorites.. There's a couple waiting for me to cut up over here too. I was just doing some math(cause I'm a wood nerd) and BTU-wise, one cord of black locust is equivalent to 191 gallons of #2 heating oil, which right now would cost $710. That puts a 5 cu. ft wheelbarrow load at about $28. :) .. If you consider a penny saved= a penny earned.

A better shot at the pile:

cords_zps6956b799.jpg

Quick rough measurement 18'x24' x 6' high = 20 cord. Had to do some 'Kentucky windage' estimates to allow for some shorter and longer ricks. Since a wood pile swells when it is split I am certain there are at least 20 cords in there. Got another 60 plus in 4 other stacks that has been split.

Got my rear kicked finishing up those rounds. First three I picked would not cooperate and I get a bit beat out bfore I was even warmed up. Third one has my wedge buried in it and two knotty rounds. I'll either noodle them or run them over to the shed and through the splitter in a few days.

Harry K

Nice looking wood. Must be a different kind of willow than we have here. Willow would be last on the list.

Nice looking wood. Must be a different kind of willow than we have here. Willow would be last on the list.

It is nice wood but it's 'gofor'. I have a customer who wants 4 cord/yr of that "lovely wood". I like it to mix in with my locust now. I heated my house for over 30 years with nothing but willow. Nice part about it is it makes up easy, comes in big trees (2+ cord trees are common). then the locust borer came into the county and killed off lots of locust. I have about clear-cut all the standing dead locust in a 30 mile radius of my house. :)

Out here there is no hardwood available other than an occasional 'take-out'. Anything with leaves on it looks like "green gold" to anyone heating with wood here.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back