2017/18 saleshave started

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucker

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
first two cord order, of this heating seasons orders have arrived. 3 year old dry blackened red oak starts out earlier then past years? maybe a sign of early cold or nervous prospectors? high fuel prices looking to hit the roof with natures wrath might make for an interesting year!

Very mild last winter so individual orders are about half the amount as usual, due to left over, unused wood. With recent the change in temps and shorter days, I'm getting lots of orders. In part because I don't hold or reserve wood for people any longer. Last year I sold out early. The late comers last year, are on the phone early this year. Pricing is the same per cord, but I increased the delivery fee, for those that don't pick it up. Delivery is a very expensive service to provide to people, plus the time involved.
This is my first year with the Posch, pallets and netting, and it is seasoning extremely well uncovered. I have given away some wood racks to customers. One purchased 1 1/2 cord, and said it stacked out to (5) 1/3 cord racks, so I'm adjusting a small amount per pallet when processing, as this has been consistent with my own and others findings. Last November/December I started covering individual pallets, and that's looking even better. Referrals are now half my orders. Web site has always been very good too.

Very mild last winter so individual orders are about half the amount as usual, due to left over, unused wood. With recent the change in temps and shorter days, I'm getting lots of orders. In part because I don't hold or reserve wood for people any longer. Last year I sold out early. The late comers last year, are on the phone early this year. Pricing is the same per cord, but I increased the delivery fee, for those that don't pick it up. Delivery is a very expensive service to provide to people, plus the time involved.
This is my first year with the Posch, pallets and netting, and it is seasoning extremely well uncovered. I have given away some wood racks to customers. One purchased 1 1/2 cord, and said it stacked out to (5) 1/3 cord racks, so I'm adjusting a small amount per pallet when processing, as this has been consistent with my own and others findings. Last November/December I started covering individual pallets, and that's looking even better. Referrals are now half my orders. Web site has always been very good too.
I tell those who plan to order more later in the season that I don't hold wood for people and when it's gone it's gone. They call in January and act surprised I'm sold out but almost all of them call early next season and want their winters stock in early fall.

Last year I saved wood for people. Like you say jrider, they want to get half now/have later. Then others drop by and I'm out, what they're standing there looking at, is spoken for.
Then I got no shows on picking up the other half and have wood for sale, when two weeks before I told people I was out. Puts everyone in a spot, except the no show clown.

Do that one season and I learned my lesson.

Last year I saved wood for people. Like you say jrider, they want to get half now/have later. Then others drop by and I'm out, what they're standing there looking at, is spoken for.
Then I got no shows on picking up the other half and have wood for sale, when two weeks before I told people I was out. Puts everyone in a spot, except the no show clown.

Do that one season and I learned my lesson.
That's exactly how many years it took me to learn as well.

temps are steadily falling early this fall for sure. just had a 2nd year client put his duel order in for this season. same as last year but adding 3 more cords to each of his home and horse riding arena. last year was 12 cords at each and ran low ? so good for my sales early as they are. ? if this is any indication/indignation of what's coming it may be a hard winter ?IMG_7143.JPG IMG_7145.JPG IMG_7096.JPG IMG_7108.JPG

I had customers that were like clockwork, some as long as 20 years. I always kept 20-25 cord in reserve, mainly because if it was an extreme winter I had extra for my regulars or I could maximize my profit when everyone was out and I could get a premium for it than...;)

I haven't started deliveries yet but already have 21 cords ordered. Each year seems to get earlier and earlier

My friend has a cabin that he rents out and usually burns about 4 cords a year. Just dropped a cord off the Monday before Labor Day and he is already out. Those boys must have been stoking the fire day and night LOL!

this year is ready to rock and roll. the horse arena gets 20 cord and their residence get's the other 15 cord all cut to24" and not split. you gotta love them outdoor boiler's two.View attachment 602354 View attachment 602355 View attachment 602356
35 cords to one customer!! Awesome. That ought to put food on your table for quite some time. Hope you celebrated with a steak.

If you are up for some duck/grouse hunting this fall lets get together up at my place.

20 cords delivered this year in 5 working days, compared to last years 12 cord delivery... real time is 10 days with weekend and 3 rain days. on to the residence for another 15 cords.
img_7143-jpg.600616
DSC07454.JPG DSC07456.JPG

?? ....keep cutting an hauling it home for some of them long extreme cold winter days/night's! then when someone calls and asks if I have any wood, it's like only premium mixed woods at an elevated price cuz the wind is blowing -30 below and 3 feet of snow in the wood's kind of wood! and it's going sonic speed fast!..... lol

I have one customer who always orders "sleepers" as he calls them, along with half a load of ordinary dry splits. His sleepers are two to three times the size of a typical dry split and sometimes just unsplit rounds, say 6" across. A little harder to load and unload from the truck, they save my splitter from work.

His theory is to get the stove got, throw in a splitter or two, throttle down the draft, and sleep on it. I'm surprised I don't get more orders like his.

I have to agree with Crane's comment that there is left over wood from last year's mild winter. That means November should see a sales rush that we might have seen last year in October. People always wait until the last minute.

Latest posts

Back