We had cool and rainy weather, which of course promoted fungal diseases. My plants produced very little before they turned brown and died. I suppose I could have sprayed them a lot with fungicides, but I had too many other tasks to do, and lacked enthusiasm for mixing sprays. Besides, in years past I've found that spraying doesn't accomplish too much anyway. I did prune them a lot, but that didn't help much either. I did learn something interesting. I planted some "volunteer" tomatoes that were growing wild in my tomato area from last year. These grew from seeds from hybrids and they had reverted back to whatever originals they were in making the hybrids. I did get small but tasty tomatoes from these "wild" plants. These "backwards" varieties turned out to be very resistant to disease, and they produced tomatoes all the way to the end of the season. So there *are* some tomatoes out there that will work in my garden. But it's going to be very difficult to find out what they were and probably impossible to purchase them.