2018-19 wood gathering

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I pulled a bunch of trees out with my logging winch and I just started working it up.
It's mostly hard Maple with some ash and black Birch. HEAVY stuff for sure.
I usually split right there but when I got to the wood lot yesterday someone had decided they needed some of the trees more than I did and cut up about 4-5 of them :( I hate thieves!!
58SBRQ4l.jpg

the grapple in action:
WN81953l.jpg

yYSRqRMl.jpg

I tell ya, it's gotten to the point now, that it might be worth it to put a motion detector on a small video camera and get an ap on your cell phone to monitor stuff. The equipment has gotten pretty cheap, I think even Harbor Freight has remote cameras now, Joe

The problem with that is there is ZERO service up in there. I could do a trail cam but I'm hoping to get it out of there in the next day or so. I got two more loads bucked up today and hauled home. Probably have three to four more loads to fetch.
e6IO4rCl.jpg
Same with my place in WV. My cousin said he was going for a walk through the woods on his property and his wife's cell beeped, and in a two foot circle she was able to send a text. I tried hopping up and down on one foot, one hand behind my back, blinking my right eye, in the same spot and still had nothing, Joe.

Looks like it might be a good Idea to just winch out what you can cut and haul out in one visit. If it isn't there for ther thieves they can't steal it. Ya I know it is a pain but what can you do?
Not legal to wait for them to show up again and shoot them.

:D Al

Looks like it might be a good Idea to just winch out what you can cut and haul out in one visit. If it isn't there for ther thieves they can't steal it. Ya I know it is a pain but what can you do?
Not legal to wait for them to show up again and shoot them.

:D Al

The really sad thing is they could have taken a side trail 25' from my logs and cut up all the tops/trees that are down they wanted to an no one would care.
It would be very difficult for me to just take out as much as I can drag out in one day as I would have to haul my tractor over then come get my dump trailer then bring tractor home. Luckily it is only 4 miles and my buddy lives there and let's me leave things there.
Hell, if someone came along and needed wood and asked I would have helped them.

We still have 12-18" of snow on the ground. I am curious to see how much the tops pile near my cabin were hit by late fall scroungers. I have several blowdowns from last fall's ice storm to contend with as well. Going to have to haul them up the hill via the armstrong method until I can get another wheeler.

Been busy bustin' my hump to get all the wood split before I have t report for my real job...lol (starting a remodel tomorrow and breaking ground for a new home the first week of May :) I won't be back at the wood until after Thanksgiving.
Got all the cut loads split and on half pallets.
EmDRjY5l.jpg

nB9u5Ajl.jpg

and one row under the deck (aka woodshed)
i9JMe6Vl.jpg

When I get ready to do the two loads of 10' stuff I am going to aim the splitter under the deck and stack it right off the splitter. Not sure when I will get to that though.

Back