2018/2019 Chimney sweep

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
May be a bit early to the party, but today I swept the chimney in the shop and put in a couple new sections of black pipe from the stove to the stainless double wall. Skipped it last year and shoulda coulda skipped it this year as well. Nothing in the double wall but a lil dust. Wont be long now.....;)

I'll wait a bit longer to sweep mine, its on the fall list. So I guess I'm not the only one who replaces pipe and elbows for no reason. Better safe than sorry. I wish I was burning that efficently.

This winter season is going to start with 2 year split ash that was laying in a field for close to 7 years. Then onto hickory and oak that's been split for about 2 years. I'm right on track to keep a 2 year rotation without having all my wood split at once.

I'll wait a bit longer to sweep mine, its on the fall list. So I guess I'm not the only one who replaces pipe and elbows for no reason. Better safe than sorry. I wish I was burning that efficently.

I usually replace the black pipe every time I take it apart to clean the main run. It's like $10 worth of parts and ensures it always stays solid. In the past I had some that I would run for a few years and it would rust in places. Just no need to do that given the cost.

I'm not so consurned about the pipe as the elbows. Every time they heat up and cool those adjustable joints expand and contract. New ones are nice and tight old ones are loose. Seems like a prime spot for failure.

I've been doing one sweep just before burning season right around when I start moving my stacked wood to dry storage below the deck, then once again around January.

Latest posts

Back